Ticking 5.4L...worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 04:43 PM
Marauder_Pilot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking 5.4L...worth buying?

I found what looks like my perfect work truck the other day-an '05 F-250 with a stripper interior, extended cab, long box, winch a 5-speed manual behind a 5.4L.

However, after I took it for a drive, I noticed there's a bit of a tapping noise coming from the engine. At first, I was completely turned off, since I'm a little shy about getting a vehicle with a potentially faulty engine, even for the right price, but after reading these forums a bit, it sounds like a ticking or tapping noise from a 5.4L of that era isn't too big a deal.

That being said, I don't know much about the engine, or what it takes to fix it.

The noise isn't too loud or pronounced-you can't hear it at all inside the cab.

The truck also did have a bit of a smell to running it, but it wasn't a burning fluids smell-I suspect it's more from the engine having recently been shampooed.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:48 PM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation personal testimonial

@Marauder Pilot

I have an '04 with 200K + miles on it and it has "ticket" (exactly as you describe where it can't be heard inside the cab), and it has sounded like a diesel since I drove it off the show room floor! I've had many people ask me "what's wrong with your truck?" and it sounds horrible when you go through a drive in window. But it still has everything original - including alternator, water pump, A/C compressor, idler pulleys, AND serpentine belt, and runs/pulls great. occasionally the tick / diesel sound will disappear (after a thorough engine flush / oil & filter change) only to come back again later! I have resisted trying to fix it because I read about so many who have replaced a bunch of expensive timing stuff, only to have the tick noise return. Very few instances I am aware of where the 5.4L "cratered" because of the strange noises they make. But lots of people blame the phasers and can't live with the noise.

I've had all the usual problems with "spark plugs breaking off on removal" and misfires, (replaced all plugs & O2 sensors, and VCT solenoids) but all in all I would say - "The ticking noise by itself should not be the deciding factor in condemning the truck." Wish I could tell you _exactly_ where the tick is coming from, but I can't - and I have my doubts about the theories I've read about it on the forums.

A useful tid-bit of information that might be helpful if you have a scanner to read custom OBDII PIDs is: On the Ford 5.4L Triton, PID # 16DC is a two byte binary "Trip Count" (not drive cycles) since CEL was CLEARED. The ECU increments this counter once for each run cycle (when the vehicle is cranked, put in gear, and moves any distance). If this binary word has a very low count, I would be suspicious enough to want to drive the vehicle a couple of "drive cycles" to make sure a DTC isn't being hidden.

Also, a Mode$06 diagnostics test report would be very worthwhile if your scanner has that capability.

Good luck. Hope the unit checks

Good luck. Hope your purchase turns out totally favorable for you.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:22 PM
Marauder_Pilot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, that makes me feel better at least. I was worried at first because I drive 5.4L-powered vans every day for work, and I know what they sound like, but it sounds like it's just a 'quirk' of the engine. I told the dealers, and they're going to investigate it anyways, but I'm less worried than I was at least

Old 07-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Moved to the 5.4L engine forum.

Stewart

Old 07-26-2015, 10:00 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
the 2000 F350 with 5.4 parts runner at the body shop had a cold tick when we got it 8 years ago with 160k miles on it. it now has 375k miles on it and stil lhas the tick, only it does it all the time now.

this one has two issues though. the cold noise is a cracked exhaust manifold, and the hot tick is internal. but it does not owe us anything, and i have 3 good engines out of wrecked trucks for parts or swapping in when this one finally dies. if it ever does die.