Sponsored by: DP Tuner

TPS or IVS??? That is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:09 PM
FlyingBiker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPS or IVS??? That is the question!

Okay, 2002 F350, 7.3L 180ish miles on it so it is just getting broken in. For the last year or so, we have had what I thought was an issue with the accelerator where it seemed to have about 2 inches of travel before I would see any acceleration. I even asked a lot of people about this and got the feeling that this was normal so I just lived with it. So I am currently on a trip with it and towing our 5th wheel and we are about 10 hours from home but on this trip I am seeing a problem. It has happened about 5 times now where when I push on the pedal, I get NOTHING! I let off and push on it again and it is "normal" again. The engine idles fine, I don't get any CEL. This happens with and without trailer so I believe that can be taken out of the equation. So what says the brain trust here?

Heading back home on Sunday and O'Reily's has a TPS in stock for $33.00. Would it just behoove me to just get it and do a quick change out or do I need to be looking at something else? There is no way I can get the whole assembly here in time for the drive home which is very pricey since we have the adjustable pedals, but I certainly do not want to have it go completely South in the middle of the trip home.

Thoughts?

Old 07-24-2015, 10:46 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingBiker
Okay, 2002 F350, 7.3L 180ish miles on it so it is just getting broken in. For the last year or so, we have had what I thought was an issue with the accelerator where it seemed to have about 2 inches of travel before I would see any acceleration. I even asked a lot of people about this and got the feeling that this was normal so I just lived with it. So I am currently on a trip with it and towing our 5th wheel and we are about 10 hours from home but on this trip I am seeing a problem. It has happened about 5 times now where when I push on the pedal, I get NOTHING! I let off and push on it again and it is "normal" again. The engine idles fine, I don't get any CEL. This happens with and without trailer so I believe that can be taken out of the equation. So what says the brain trust here?

Heading back home on Sunday and O'Reily's has a TPS in stock for $33.00. Would it just behoove me to just get it and do a quick change out or do I need to be looking at something else? There is no way I can get the whole assembly here in time for the drive home which is very pricey since we have the adjustable pedals, but I certainly do not want to have it go completely South in the middle of the trip home.

Thoughts?
What you're referring to is the AP (Accelerator Position) These are basically a Potentiometer where resistance is decreased, current is increased, and a signal is sent.

The other is the IVS (Idle Validation Switch) is either On/Off.

So, its the AP (or what you're referring to as a TPS (which, is attached to a Throttle Body))

I don't know as the possibilities of changing the AP Unit on 2002. But, will look it up in the am.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:57 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
A can of electric contact cleaner sprayed with wanton abandon in that area might solve the problem.

Where are you located?

Old 07-25-2015, 12:24 AM
FlyingBiker
New User
Originally Posted by Thomas White
What you're referring to is the AP (Accelerator Position) These are basically a Potentiometer where resistance is decreased, current is increased, and a signal is sent.

The other is the IVS (Idle Validation Switch) is either On/Off.

So, its the AP (or what you're referring to as a TPS (which, is attached to a Throttle Body))

I don't know as the possibilities of changing the AP Unit on 2002. But, will look it up in the am.
Thanks,

So here is another question. I do have the adjustable pedals and boy does that make the cost go on changing out the whole assembly. Would the "non-adjustable" pedal work in a pinch if I can get my hands on one while out here on the road or will the mounts be different? Just trying to cover my basis if something were to happen.

David, I live in Colorado but currently in Nebraska.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:04 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As stated, in my opinion, it might be worth it to try to remove the IVS/APP portion and try electronics cleaner. Probably easier on my 2000 non adjustables, since I do it ever year, and can't currently remember if the 02+ adjustables are removable.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You can pull the plug and put a meter on the contacts to the TPS (one probe in the middle, one on either end. Set the meter to Ohms and very slowly move the TPS. Repeat the process with the outside probe moved to the opposite end, keeping the center probe in place.

If the Ohms rise/fall steadily, that's all you can ask from the TPS. If it jumps or drops in places, then recovers - try cleaning the TPS and test to ensure this is a fix.

If this were on my truck, I would grab an OBDII scan tool and log the TPS voltage while I very slowly move the throttle in and out. I would then look at the log on a graph, in search of spikes/drop-offs.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:22 AM
FlyingBiker
New User
Originally Posted by Tugly
You can pull the plug and put a meter on the contacts to the TPS (one probe in the middle, one on either end. Set the meter to Ohms and very slowly move the TPS. Repeat the process with the outside probe moved to the opposite end, keeping the center probe in place.

If the Ohms rise/fall steadily, that's all you can ask from the TPS. If it jumps or drops in places, then recovers - try cleaning the TPS and test to ensure this is a fix.

If this were on my truck, I would grab an OBDII scan tool and log the TPS voltage while I very slowly move the throttle in and out. I would then look at the log on a graph, in search of spikes/drop-offs.
Yea, I have read up on how to do all the testing in other threads but unfortunately I am on the road and I don't have everything at my disposal like I would if I were at home. I am hoping to get some "just in case" things lined out if it decides to go totally South before I get home tomorrow. We are out here for a wedding which is this afternoon and then first thing in the morning we start heading back West. Right now, I think the can of contact cleaner is probably going to be my first line of defense and just hold my breath until I can get it home and do a proper diagnosis. I spoke with the Ford stealership here in town and several auto parts stores and they don't even carry it in stock so I am SOL!