Trailer Turn Signal Fuses Blow

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 11:12 AM
cflintstone
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Turn Signal Fuses Blow

I bought a used F250 2011 used and I recently installed a gooseneck hitch to tow a stock trailer. The trailers signals work on other trucks and my truck signals work but will not run the trailers turn signals. I looked in the fuse box and realized there was no fuse for the trailer turn signals and the ground prong was pushed down from the fuse panel (someone before me must have had an issue and broke the prong changing the fuse). So i ran some wires from the hot prong (which is always hot even without the blinkers on) and ran a wire to the ground and hooked up the fuse and it immediately burnt out. Do I have a dead short somewhere on the truck? Where would be a good place to start to search? any ideas?
thanks
Caleb

Old 07-26-2015, 08:33 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
What fuse blows? In the truck or in the trailer?

First thing I would do is remove the bulbs from the turn signals( either in the truck or trailer (whichever one is blowing the fuse) and waste another fuse. If it DOES blow again you have no choice but to start inspecting the wiring from the bulb socket towards the turn signal switch. Or maybe the fuse is underrated???

Good luck...shorts suck! Sometimes it is MUCH easier simply to run a new wire,.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Stumblefoot
Cross-Country
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Take the fuse panel off and push the "ground" part back up. Thats where I would guess the problem is. Good luck, I hate doing electronics, it just frustrates me

Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
There are not enough specifics in the OP's post to troubleshoot. I can't follow the use of the jumper wire and how it was employed. What was it supposed to do? If the fuse blows only when the trailer is plugged in, there is a short in the trailer wiring, given that it sounds like everything is working on the truck.

If the fuse blows immediately without the trailer plugged in, there is most likely a short at the seven pin on the truck as that is the most common problem child. I would open the back of the plug and check connections in that case. It would help to know if the seven pin has ever been changed, modified, or "repaired".

Old 08-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Vertrees
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
There are not enough specifics in the OP's post to troubleshoot. I can't follow the use of the jumper wire and how it was employed. What was it supposed to do? If the fuse blows only when the trailer is plugged in, there is a short in the trailer wiring, given that it sounds like everything is working on the truck.

If the fuse blows immediately without the trailer plugged in, there is most likely a short at the seven pin on the truck as that is the most common problem child. I would open the back of the plug and check connections in that case. It would help to know if the seven pin has ever been changed, modified, or "repaired".
We need better clarification. If there is high resistance in the trailer plug then it will blow fuses like its cool.

If you can give a better description, and maybe pictures of what you are doing that would help.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:27 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cflintstone
I bought a used F250 2011 used and I recently installed a gooseneck hitch to tow a stock trailer. The trailers signals work on other trucks and my truck signals work but will not run the trailers turn signals. I looked in the fuse box and realized there was no fuse for the trailer turn signals and the ground prong was pushed down from the fuse panel (someone before me must have had an issue and broke the prong changing the fuse). So i ran some wires from the hot prong (which is always hot even without the blinkers on) and ran a wire to the ground and hooked up the fuse and it immediately burnt out. Do I have a dead short somewhere on the truck? Where would be a good place to start to search? any ideas?
thanks
Caleb
The way I am reading and understanding your post is you are running a jumper wire from the original batt+ feed in the fuse box to a fuse. Then from the other tab on the fuse to ground.
If that's what you're doing, it's going to blow the fuse every time because you're creating a dead short. A fuse is a pass thru for the batt+ energy. It sounds like you're treating it like a lightbulb.
There are 2 tabs in the fuse box for the fuse. One is the batt+ coming in and the other tab is going out to the trailer plug for the trailer lights.
I hope I was clear enough.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:44 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
That is also the way I read it, but since it would create an obvious dead short, I assume I was misunderstanding the post.

Steve

Old 08-10-2015, 02:54 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

***-U-ME ........

Old 08-10-2015, 03:30 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BPofMD
***-U-ME ........
How do you interpret the OP's post?

Old 08-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to follow. Appears to be a trailer fuse on the truck that was tampered with. Either way the truck appears to work fine on it's own. Trailer appears to work fine connected to other vehicles. It seems there's a stop/turn missing fuse issue with the truck. I would start by leaving things alone and putting a fuse in as is, see if it blows. If it doesn't double check for power though the truck fuse with a test light. If it blows or the trailer lights still won't work test for power at the trucks pin connector, look for bad connector pins, frays loose wires etc, and work back through the harness from there.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:12 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
How do you interpret the OP's post?
Sorry Steve - my poor attempt at a joke.

After re-reading the original post, I agree. But you do notice that the OP is conspicuously absent?

Old 08-11-2015, 11:37 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I took it as a joke, no problem.

And yes, the OP's absence is noted. Maybe got it figured out already.