6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Who cross-shopped a RAM 2500/3500? Why did you pick your superduty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:55 AM
zimm
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Who cross-shopped a RAM 2500/3500? Why did you pick your superduty?

Not to start a brand loyalty discussion, I want to base this just on mechanical merit, but I've always been a Ford guy (previous: '77 F150, '82 F150, '96 Bronco, '03 F250, '05 F250). I'm getting the itch for my first new truck instead of buying 10 year old ones with 100,000 miles on the clock.

This will be a fairly low mileage, daily driver, do-it-all like my previous trucks. Kids to school, pulling future toys (boat, RV, or whatever toy we decide to buy in the future), hauling stuff, off-road, snow, etc.

I'm nearly set on a '15-16 F250 6.7 crew cab lariat. But I can't dismiss the RAM yet. My brother has had a couple, my good friend has an '11 mega cab 6.7, father in law is a ram guy. I really like the looks, interior, and Cummins engine much better than the Ford. I'm scared of the 68RFE transmission in the 2500 (I blew the 4R100 in my '03 F250). The Aisin is a $3000 option only on the 3500. I also like the power fold mirrors, keypad on the door, and other little "superduty" features better than the RAM. Plus all my accessories will transfer over (subwoofer, weathertech mats, tonneau cover, du-ha storage bin, etc) which is a minor plus when spending $60k on a new truck.

So... did anyone cross shop the RAM and have any insight on the process?

I read just as many horror stories of things going wrong on the cummins forum as I do here on the fords.

I'm not to concerned with max towing, but more having a "hot rod" 3/4 ton truck that gets up and goes like my modded '03 7.3 did.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:32 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I have a 2016 6.7 on order. I looked at Ram 3500 seriously because both my 6.4 2008 and 2011 6.7 cost me lot's of money. But Ford has refined the 6.7 plus upgraded brakes etc. And I could swap over plow,camper tie downs and many other items costing thousands of dollars. I like my Ford dealer as well here nearby.
Two other things I liked was the seats are more comfortable in Ford and the mirrors are better.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:51 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I've cross-shopped both plenty. The only advantages I have come up with on the Ram is that a manual is still an option and the reputation of the Cummins motor, although I think the 6.7 is just as good.

If I do buy a new truck, it's going to be a 2016 F350.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:10 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mirrors and the man step.. I used both religiously.... I HATE the towing mirrors on the ram. My father had a Longhorn and the only practical way to use the mirrors was flipped up, but by doing so you were automatically labled a dushbag and put on a ISIS hit list....I passed... I could handle being hunted by ISIS, but the dushbag label was Too much for me. Plus, when you buy a RAM, you are required to install a 20" letter "C" on your back window, signifying you pray to the Cummins gods.....I only worship one God.

And I have a 4" lift on the back of my truck, so the man step is more of a common sense step.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:28 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by zimm
I really like the looks, interior, and Cummins engine much better than the Ford.

I read just as many horror stories of things going wrong on the cummins forum as I do here on the fords.

If the you "like" the Cummins better, but read just as many horror stories, why do you "like it more?

The Cummins ISN'T the dead nuts reliable tractor engine it used to be when the 12 valve was around. There rest of the truck, well you're taking a chance. I did not cross shop Ram, because I had enough of them. I had a 2007 5.9 6 speed dually, bought with 46k and sold with 64k three years later. Truck cost me a bunch of money to keep it going, left me sit on the side of the road once. The last warranty failure it had, when I picked it up the cashier told me it had the best kind of bill, FREE! I told him next time it's getting traded on a Ford. The expression on his face was priceless, and he had nothing to say.

That said, I have to agree the Ram mirrors do suck when down. Mine was a dually so I never put them down, and just hoped for a doushebag "pass". And for those after the 6 speed manual, drive one loaded before you buy, hanging 14k off the back makes for some SLOW starts with the G56. You can hammer it but the clutch won't last long, its barely capable of handling the stock engine power. Oh, and as IronCobra said, the tailgate step on the Ford is second to none. I got so much flack from all my buddies about my "old man" step (I'm 30), until they tried it. Nobody has anything to say now.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:51 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have not cross shopped but I have paid attention to what people say out there on the road.

1. The cummins is just about equivalent to the 6.7 but it feels a lot different. The power is there but the computers don't release it in quite the same feel good way that the ford does. Furthermore, the manual stick shift version is de rated so you're not getting the high output version if you go that route, if it matters to you. Changing the oil is a hassle from what I've read, there's a member here goes by "dim-sum" who got a ram recently and he has a thread where he goes over the whole truck. Search for it/him.

2. Some say with the drivetrain being equal they prefer the interior of the ram to the ford.

3. Some say with all things being equal, the chassis and suspension of the ford is and always will be superior and the road manners/stability when towing and loaded heavy is firmly in the ford camp. Has to do with the basic fact that all the suspension components under the ford are well made, heavier gauge steel, just plain stout/solid/rugged.

There are some new things with the ram trucks that may make them better than the ford like the air suspension? I don't know enough about it. I guess the high end transmission on the dodge is supposed to be good but I don't think anyone has been able to damage the ford 6R140? The ford transmission is pretty dang solid.

My conclusion is pretty much what you're fighting with. It's hard to really nail down the better truck. Mostly just opinions and feelings....

There's another guy who delivers RV trailers for a living, goes by lightngdrvr, he just switched to ram also. Reach out to him (search because I dunno if I spelled his screen name right). He has issues with his ford but they were more like things that he didn't like vs. actual design or engineering failures.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:52 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,186 Likes on 570 Posts
I'm getting ready for the next one and those are the two I have been cross shopping for a while. If only you could combine the two. I'm not buying until 2017 MY so will see what Ford's redesign has to offer beyond it's hideous looks. If I had to buy right now though....

Ram:
Interior
Supplemental air suspension.
Better looking DRW rear fenders.
Current power leader.
Boxed frame
Headlights

Ford:
Powerfold mirrors
Supplemental cab heater
Wide track front axle on 350 HD Tow and 450
Bed step
F450 option which is a de-rated class 4 truck with heavier everything in 2015+
I can swap over my 5th hitch and plow mount

Old 07-24-2015, 01:57 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If I were to go diesel I'd probably go Ram.
I really don't need a diesel so I went back to a Ford.
You really need to drive all three a lot.
They certainly aren't giving them away!
You want to be comfortable with your choice.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I am with T Diesel - Make sure you like them a lot because Ford, Chevy, or Ram - they are not cheap. The major pluses and minuses I have are already discussed, so I will give you my look on things.

My issue with Rams was that the local dealer around me when I went looking all wanted MSRP or more... The Ford stickered for more, but after getting a write down off of MSRP, rebates, and incentives the Ford was less... You might find a good deal on a Ram, I just couldn't.

Rams have some nice features I wish the Ford had and vice versa.

I agree with the man step and I never cared what anyone thought about it anyways. It's isn't their knees or back that would hurt after jumping up on the tailgate. (Now of course you need to make sure you open the step up all the way before attempting to step on it, right Roy?)

Overall, I like the way the Ford drove STOCK vs. the Ram STOCK. Mirrors are a big plus in the Ford. The intake heater instead of a block heater is both good and bad. I'll give it it's up to you whether the in vehicle controls are better in one or the other. I've spent enough time in Chrysler products that I can't say I like either one "better" they both "work". Nav - ugh - they both are so-so. GM isn't any better.

I do like the GMC Sierras too. I had Chevy's too, it seems like the GMCs are better built with better materials. Even though they are "twins".

While I have certainly owned a lot more Ford trucks than any other brand, every time I go to buy a new vehicle, I don't just head to the Ford lot. I still look around.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:54 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,186 Likes on 570 Posts
One thing on price. I do X-Plan when I buy a Ford. Just join EAA for $40 and you get to generate your own pin. For Chrysler products there is a similar way to get a no haggle X-Plan type price. For $100 you can join Tread Lightly and get 1% below invoice pricing any day of the week at your Ram dealer.

Tread Lightly: Tread Lightly ? Chrysler Affiliate Rewards Program Discount

EAA: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membe...nition-program

Old 07-24-2015, 03:56 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I cross shopped the two for 6 months prior to making my decision. I was surprised at how close Ram came to getting my business, but after weighing the pros and cons, likes versus dislikes of both, I chose the Ford. I purchased my 2014 in October of 2013, and at the time, the 2013 Rams had only been out a few months.

Specific reasons:
Didn't like the CAD on the Ram front axle. I prefer hubs that can be fully disengaged to save wear and fuel mileage

Don't like the Ram mirrors at all. Really DO like the Ford mirrors.

Ram was too new to the DEF game in their pickups, and I felt needed time to figure out what issues they were going to have to correct, and have time to actually correct them.

I don't like the capless fuel filler on a Diesel. It works fine on a gasoline engine as the gas evaporates quickly enough not to leave a dirty mess inside your fill neck. Diesel on the other hand, does not evaporate quickly enough to avoid caking up with dirt and dust. I don't want that in my fuel system - even if the filters catch every bit of it.

I had issue with the front end suspension design at the time. Ram has since gone to a Ford style front end and has begin using stronger components, but even now are still having some issues with ball joints that fail way too early. The fact that they adopted a design similar to Ford's should say something about the quality of design of our front ends (not that Ford necessarily designed it - nor did Ram necessarily copy Ford).

I didn't want to pay extra to get the BEST transmission offered by Ram. In Fords, they all come with the best transmission.

Lastly, the ability to delete at the time was a consideration. Rams can now be deleted, but back when I was buying, they had no idea when it would happen for Ram. I still haven't deleted, but wanted that option as a just in case.

I felt that overall reliability and comfort of both brands were comparable, as was price when comparing apples to apples. It was a close decision for me, but I haven't regretted my choice a single day since making it. Ram has come a long way in refining the design of their interiors and exteriors. A few years ago, they wouldn't have even been a consideration for me.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:13 PM
OBX F-350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross shopping the Ram

I grew up a die-hard Mopar guy, and I bought a 2014 Ford F350 CC SB 6.7 lariat ultimate. I nearly pulled the trigger on a 2015 Ram CC SB 6.7 Laramie instead. Here are the main differences, as I saw them, and why I ended up going Ford:

-Cummins engine may be more reliable (and it definitely sounds like a real diesel), but the new ones arent built like the old ones, and it didnt have the get up and go of the Ford. Driveability on the Ford was better, although the Ford is way too quiet. The Ford has much quicker acceleration.

-The new Ram transmissions are much better than old ones. The Fords transmission is probably better, though, and it was noticably smoother shifting. That may mean the Ford slips more and will generate more heat, which isnt ideal.

-Brakes on the Ram felt weak. During multiple test drives, it felt like the Ram was going to fail to stop in time unless you stood on the pedal. Maybe they just need a brake-in period or something, but it wasnt confidence inspiring. I can panic stop my Ford, on 35s, and instantly lock up the tires. Braking on the Ford is definitely stronger, and the Ford's brakes are bigger, the calipers are bigger, and they have much more swept area.

-I liked the interior of the Ram better, I liked that Ram offered a wifi hotspot, and I like the overall look of the Ram better.

-The Ram has great in-floor storage containers in front of the back seat, and the rear seat area has a fold out flat loading floor that is great. Definitely a better design than the Ford.

-Ram has better fuel capacity. I will never understand why an F-150 can be had with a 37 gallon tank, but my CC SB diesel F350 has a 26 gallon tank. Why I have to go aftermarket to get a bigger tank on a 156" wheel base Ford is beyond me.

-The Ram has a fully boxed frame thats probably stronger than the Ford's, and the Ram has a better engine brake. I dont like that the engine brake on my 2014 Ford is built-in (its not on 2015 and later Fords - there is a button like the Ram now).

-The seats on the Ford are softer leather and more comfortable. There are more outlets in the ford for electronics, and its easier to take a road trip with mupltiple people who all want to charge phones, computers, whatever.

-The old man step on the tailgate of the Ford is one of those things that you wonder how you ever lived without it on your previous trucks.

-The Ford had an electronic rear locker, and lockout front hubs. If I really want to play in the dirt with it, I can.

-The mirrors on the Ford are way better, and it annoyed me that Ram didnt have a fuel cap. One can be added aftermarket, but seriously, on a $60k truck, you cant give me a fuel cap?

-The ride quality, steering feel, acceleration, and braking on the Ford were noticably superior to the Ram. It just did all the basics better. And for a $60k+ truck, the Ford just rode and drove better. It just felt like a better built truck. The Ram is a hell of a nice ride, but the Ford is a better driving truck. That was a hard realization to come to as a die-hard Mopar guy, but it was a stark enough difference that I gave my money to Ford instead.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:54 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you have any specific questions? I've owned both. I'd still own the Ford if they would have shown interest in fixing my truck.

I like the Superduty. I like my Ram. I don't particularly think one is better than the other, just different. What matters are what you care about in a truck.

I'm nearly set on a '15-16 F250 6.7 crew cab lariat. But I can't dismiss the RAM yet. My brother has had a couple, my good friend has an '11 mega cab 6.7, father in law is a ram guy. I really like the looks, interior, and Cummins engine much better than the Ford.
I'm with you here. I like the looks and feel of the interior much more than the Ford. That being said, as 2011 and 2013 Superduty owner, I think the Ford front eats are more comfortable. The rest of the interior is superior to the Ford. Exterior looks are up to the person.

I'm scared of the 68RFE transmission in the 2500 (I blew the 4R100 in my '03 F250). The Aisin is a $3000 option only on the 3500.
Ford has the best tranny. There's no arguing there. That being said, you won't see many failures of a stock 68RFE. I have one. Its not as polished as the Ford, but there was no way I was buying a 3500 and the 3,000 Asin so I could get 30k mile oil change intervals and no resale value increase (b/c I won't keep this truck forever).

I also like the power fold mirrors, keypad on the door, and other little "superduty" features better than the RAM. Plus all my accessories will transfer over (subwoofer, weathertech mats, tonneau cover, du-ha storage bin, etc) which is a minor plus when spending $60k on a new truck.
Ford's mirrors are better than Rams. I have the power folding mirrors and you will get used to them, but they are not as good as Fords. They DO have more reach when in the trailer towing mode and you can see more than the Ford's when extended. As for accessories, you definitely won't be able to move your floor mats and tonneau cover over to the Ford or the Ram. The Ford body is just different enough where they won't move over.

Stories are on both. I don't believe one is more reliable than the other. The Ford is more serviceable when it comes to oil changes / fuel filter changes. The Ram is more serviceable if you have a serious engine issue. Pick your poison.

I'm not to concerned with max towing, but more having a "hot rod" 3/4 ton truck that gets up and goes like my modded '03 7.3 did.
Stock for stock, the Ford is more of a hot rod. That being said, if you want are real Hot Rod without max towing, why not get a 6.2 with the 4.30s or a 6.4 with the 4.10s? Those will both be faster trucks stock for stock and 8k cheaper.

The cummins pulls completely different from the Ford. They are so different that your seat in the pants feel will sell the truck for you. I cannot emphasize enough just how different the two engines feel both empty and under load.

If you care, fuel economy is much better in my Ram vs my Superduties. The 2013 had something wrong with it, but I thought my 2011 got great FE, but this Ram easily pulls numbers over 20mpg on the highway at 70mph or less. DEF usage is higher though in the Ram...but that's pennies compared to fuel costs.

If you need extra cab space, the megcab is not comparable to Ford. That truck is in a league of its own.

If you have specific questions, I'll try and answer them, but I honestly believe a simple test drive back to back will tell you what truck you want.

To be fair, I'd be driving a High Country Chevy right now if the rear seat had another 3-4 inches of leg room. I believe that truck to be truly the best combo.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:12 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks Steve. I was trying to outline what I've read from you before on this subject and I'm relieved that I did a decent job.

I drove a diesel ram about 5 years ago and I too was surprised at how different the two engines feel, especially considering they both produce the same power levels. The ford is much more "satisfying" as an empty daily driver.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:17 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
I tired to look at a Ram when I was shopping again. The weak front end and the dealer who doesn't have any DRW's in stock did it for me.

We have Dodges at work. they are the Durangos so not the same. But poor quality and always in the shop.

Quick Reply: Who cross-shopped a RAM 2500/3500? Why did you pick your superduty?