1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

3rd gen vs 4th gen econolines

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 12:11 AM
voodoolord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3rd gen vs 4th gen econolines

Anyone know the major body differences as it relates to the chassis between the generations? Im trying to find a better body but its hard to find a good 75-91. If theres a way to shoehorn a 92+ onto a 3rd gen frame it would be killer. Are the wheelbases the same?

Old 07-25-2015, 06:31 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
As a helpful tip don't cite E-Series as "generations", instead ask about specific years of manufacture. While some think that's a bit tedious its also a bit ambiguous and doesn't really allow a direct comparison of donor parts fitting other vehicles.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:54 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
I understand. since the E series goes over a decade for each body change and Im concerned only on body fitment it seemed easier than saying 1992 on a 1991. It doesn't seem like theres anyone here that has done the swap anyway. For the record the frame horn on the pre 92 ( gen 3 ) is longer than the horn on the 92+ ( gen 4 ) otherwise the bolt pattern and placement should be the same.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:16 PM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on the opposite switch. I have a 2003 E350 clubwagon that runs incredible but the body is toast! I had been watching for a nice pre 92 extended body for quite a while and finally got one this year , a 91 E350 from BC (west coast) I am waiting on my swap until winter because my 2003 diesel is absolute useless in winter and will have a 4x4 bronco for the winter this year.

I can't believe a clean pre 92 body can't be found there. you are in the right part of the country

if you can get your hands on a body shop manual for each generation they should have the numbers you are looking for.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:40 AM
voodoolord
Senior User
Have you researched the compatibility? You are in the same boat as me and if you know something I don't please spill it because this has been a ridiculous adventure in futility. Do you know about the bolt patterns and dimensions?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 AM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by voodoolord
Have you researched the compatibility? You are in the same boat as me and if you know something I don't please spill it because this has been a ridiculous adventure in futility. Do you know about the bolt patterns and dimensions?
I've only researched here, same results as you. nobody really seems to knows.

If mine doesn't work ,I'll be disappointed but I don't have much into my 91 , and my 2003 is basically a rolling chassis with lots of iron oxide ventilation ports. not fun on a dry gravel road, heater fan on high won't keep the dust out even.

if you were on the opposite coast I would sell you one of my spares, have a 1979 clubwagon came from SC and before that CA. I bought it for the wheels and the engine. you need to do a little more digging for a donor body, all the good ones seem to be coming from out there anyhow.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:25 PM
voodoolord
Senior User

I looked at this one yesterday. Everything runs well but I just cannot get over the pink and baby blue.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:16 AM
voodoolord
Senior User
Heres the answer to our questions from a guy on Expedition portal. Looks like a real bitch to do and probably not worth the work.

"Yes the front frame is substantially different. Crumple zones were added so the frame is longer. The frame is about the same width overall but the newer frame rails are thicker, taller, and wider. The gas tank locations are altogether different so the fuel filler locations are different as are the body shapes to accommodate them. The newer vans mount their spare tires underneath so the frames include clearance for that. Front axles are further forward (wheel wells protrude into floorboards less) but wheelbases are very similar so the rear axle is also moved forward. Engines are moved forward so interference is likely with doghouses, radiators, etc.

I'm not saying it can't be done but anybody attempting it should be prepared for a fully-involved re-framing with entirely custom mounts for most everything in contact with the frame. Driveshaft(s) will also probably need to be reworked since either axles or fenderwells will need to be relocated and the bodywork is far more expensive/time-consuming. Engine height and length will probably require some custom work on the interior as well, hopefully only in areas hidden by the doghouse. Transmissions would likely differ, as would column shifters and linkage.

If you go ahead please keep us posted. This would be very interesting to watch."

Old 07-28-2015, 12:36 AM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
if you buy that pink one, you better have a good solid grasp on some testosterone. That would definitely get some looks....................

I had tossed around the idea of stuffing a 6.0 powerstroke into my 86 E150 shorty but my friends say that's just too far out there, and the 2005 E350 clubwagon its in is worth too much$$$ for me to perform a heart transplant. sure would make a shorty jump!

I will probably cut up a 79 E250 soon, will take some measurements off it , and have a 2003 E350 diesel with a blown trans I will be stripping down too. I will do some fitment tests with these before I jump in and disable both my 91 E350 and my 2003 E350
wheelbases are identical, so it will be interesting to see where the changes have been made in the different vintages.

I'll be taking lots of pics when I get started, right now the kids are out of school and taking all my spare time up. its cool but too bad they can't keep quiet in the morning , sure is messing up my normal sleep pattern after work.

cheers James
sorry about the partial hijack . PM me and we can discuss further.