Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD questions (new owner)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:30 PM
davro37087
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD questions (new owner)

Last week i picked up a 1991 F150 with a trasmission (E4OD) problem as a first vehicle for my 15 year old. The main problem turned out to be oil starvation from a caked filter.

The fluid wasn't burnt, but I've always heard about the dangers of replacing fluid that has been used as long as this had. I reused the same fluid after running it through a filter/funnel i picked up at TSC. I did not, however, drain the torque converter. I couldn't figure out how to refill it. Now I know....

Current symptoms: It drives fine in Drive. It will sometimes die when put into Reverse or Second gear. It always dies when put in First gear.

So, draning the TC. Yes or no?
Transmission flush?
Transmission treatments such as Lucas? Any other ideas?

Since this is the first A/T I've messed with, i have googled like crazy to get this far.
Thanks
David Shields

Old 07-23-2015, 04:53 PM
mtrosclair
Freshman User
Sounds like maybe idle air control? Does it idle ok in park/neutral?

Old 07-23-2015, 05:36 PM
davro37087
New User
The idle is rock solid in park and neutral. It drops a little when put into drive.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by davro37087
Current symptoms: It drives fine in Drive. It will sometimes die when put into Reverse or Second gear. It always dies when put in First gear.
That could be from old, worn out fluid.

Transmission flush?
Yes.
So, draning the TC. Yes or no?
Not if you flush the trans. If you don't flush the trans drain the torque converter AND the pan at the same time.
Transmission treatments such as Lucas? Any other ideas?
I sure wouldn't.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:20 AM
davro37087
New User
Thank you, Mark.
That's what i needed to know. Would a flush machine get the torque converter too? I know that Jiffy Lube has one, but I'm a little wary of inexperienced personnel. I have no problem draining and replacing the fluid myself. I just want it working right for my son.
David Shields

Old 07-24-2015, 11:43 AM
ng19delta
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say run a can of Seafoam trans cleaner through it BEFORE draining the fluid again: Then do the full drain & replace of the fluids. BE SURE TO USE THE PROPER FLUID! The dipstick should state what type you need to use... Quantity will be listed in the Owner's Manual...

Personally, I do NOT trust the "flush" machines: they tend to blow out seals...

The torque convertor is VERY EASY to drain & refill, done when you drain the pan(and replace the filter, as well!) Simply remove the cover at the very bottom of the bell housing(round plug), and then use a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley nut to turn the engine until the torque convertor drain plug appears in the center of the opening. Remove it, and let it drain completely. This will take a WHILE... Once drained, replace the drain plug & torque it properly, then replace the cover plug. The TC will refill from the transmission automatically.

Scott

Old 07-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by ng19delta
I'd say run a can of Seafoam trans cleaner through it BEFORE draining the fluid again:
I would NEVER do that. But that's just my opinion.

Then do the full drain & replace of the fluids. BE SURE TO USE THE PROPER FLUID! The dipstick should state what type you need to use... Quantity will be listed in the Owner's Manual...
The owner's manual is out of date. The correct fluid now is MERCON V.

Personally, I do NOT trust the "flush" machines: they tend to blow out seals...
No, that's not true. There is NO WAY one of these machines can blow out ANY seal. Anyone that says it can doesn't know how they work, or how an automatic transmission works, or both.

The flush machines do change the fluid in the transmission and the torque converter.

The torque convertor is VERY EASY to drain & refill, done when you drain the pan(and replace the filter, as well!) Simply remove the cover at the very bottom of the bell housing(round plug), and then use a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley nut to turn the engine until the torque convertor drain plug appears in the center of the opening. Remove it, and let it drain completely. This will take a WHILE... Once drained, replace the drain plug & torque it properly, then replace the cover plug. The TC will refill from the transmission automatically.
This will work. It doesn't change as much as a flush does, but it's a good method.

I use this method to change transmission fluid: Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission - Ford-Trucks.com

Old 07-24-2015, 12:51 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I would NEVER do that. But that's just my opinion.

***Seafoam is fine.
The owner's manual is out of date. The correct fluid now is MERCON V.

***The manual IS still correct: The transmission was made to operate on one specific fluid, and the manual & dipstick will specify it. While a newer fluid CAN be used, using the correct original one is best for the transmission: Otherwise they would have pulled Dexron II/Mercon off the shelf when the new stuff came in.

No, that's not true. There is NO WAY one of these machines can blow out ANY seal. Anyone that says it can doesn't know how they work, or how an automatic transmission works, or both.

*** Used to work in the business: Improperly operated, YES, they do blow out seals and packings. And yes, I do know how they work, and how an automatic transmission works...

The flush machines do change the fluid in the transmission and the torque converter.

This will work. It doesn't change as much as a flush does, but it's a good method.

I use this method to change transmission fluid: Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission - Ford-Trucks.com

I stand by my recommendations, but do as you like...

Old 07-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I stand by my recommendations, but do as you like...
I feel the same.

And for your information, Ford *DID* discontinue MERCON. There are no longer ANY licensed MERCON fluids produced. There are fluids that say they are for transmissions that used to use MERCON. But Ford no longer issues licenses to produce MERCON. They do issue MERCON V licenses.

Does the fluid that says it is for for transmissions that used to use MERCON still meet the MERCON specification? Nobody knows, because nobody is monitoring that. Ford monitors all fluids that it licenses, and they don't license MERCON. So MERCON is no longer the correct fluid to use. If you use one of those fluids, and it does meet the now obsolete MERCON spec, all will be fine. If it doesn't, who knows what will happen?

Old 07-24-2015, 02:44 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
I second what Mark said above 100%.
Never use any additive (band aid) in a transmission.
The other poster does not understand an E4OD.
As Mark said the manual is out dated. Use only MERCON V.
See this TSB:
http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/06-14-04.pdf

/