6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

P0401

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Mark Pittman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0401

2012 F350 with 52,XXX miles and the P0401 keeps coming back with no degree of consistency, could be an hour later could be a week before it pops back up. just in th epast 4 days i have replaced the air filter (FOMOCO) and still same thing. there is no change in performance, just dont have that warm and fuzzy feeling since im about to head out to Colorado for 10 days with 5000 lbs of toys in tow.

ANY INPUT????

btw, P0401 SAYS INSUFFICIENT PRESSURE FOR EGR
PURE STOCK, NO TUNING

Old 07-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
P0401 is insufficient EGR flow. Your EGR might be filled with soot. If not under warranty, which I think this is covered even with the miles you have, I would go to dealer and let them check it.

There are a few vids on yourtube about washing it out. might try that if not covered under warranty.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:31 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Most likely EGR valve is probably gummed up and getting stuck or the cooler is gummed up.

If you search that TDC on this forum there are a few threads on it.

P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient Detected

Description: Estimated EGR percent is less than the minimum limit for the operating conditions. This DTC sets when the pressure ratio of the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor signal and the exhaust pressure (EP) sensor signal across the EGR valve is not as expected.
Possible Causes: Aftermarket intake systems or exhaust systems
Restricted air flow (intake or exhaust)
Restricted EGR cooler
EGR valve position sensor bias
Exhaust pressure (EP) sensor bias
Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor bias
Damaged EGR valve

Diagnostic Aids: The presence of this DTC may indicate that the vehicle is operating in derate mode and may experience a loss of power.
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All GO to Pinpoint Test W .

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
W Intro.pdf (34.1 KB, 562 views)
File Type: pdf
W pin.pdf (41.2 KB, 535 views)
Old 07-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Mark Pittman
New User
Originally Posted by darren32
Most likely EGR valve is probably gummed up and getting stuck or the cooler is gummed up.

If you search that TDC on this forum there are a few threads on it.

P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient Detected

Description: Estimated EGR percent is less than the minimum limit for the operating conditions. This DTC sets when the pressure ratio of the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor signal and the exhaust pressure (EP) sensor signal across the EGR valve is not as expected.
Possible Causes: Aftermarket intake systems or exhaust systems
Restricted air flow (intake or exhaust)
Restricted EGR cooler
EGR valve position sensor bias
Exhaust pressure (EP) sensor bias
Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor bias
Damaged EGR valve

Diagnostic Aids: The presence of this DTC may indicate that the vehicle is operating in derate mode and may experience a loss of power.
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All GO to Pinpoint Test W .

NO LOSS OF POWER YET, JUST THE LIGHT. AFTER A LITTLE POKING AROUND TODAY, THERE APPEARS TO BE AN ISSUE WITH THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR PLUG, DOSENT LOOK LIKE ITS A SECURE CONNECTION. MAYBE IM ONTO SOME THING.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:45 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

I had th P0401 code popping up about once a month before i was able to finally get it to the shop. The replaced the EGR system at no cost, they said it was covered under the 100,000 engine warranty! Since it's been repaired no more problems and no more annoying check engine light.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
it is a warranty item.

Got to run them hard on occasion to keep the cooler and valve cleaned out.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:22 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Pittman
2012 F350 with 52,XXX miles and the P0401 keeps coming back with no degree of consistency, could be an hour later could be a week before it pops back up. just in th epast 4 days i have replaced the air filter (FOMOCO) and still same thing. there is no change in performance, just dont have that warm and fuzzy feeling since im about to head out to Colorado for 10 days with 5000 lbs of toys in tow...
It sounds like it's time for a trip to your dealer, Mark; I want you to have peace of mind while you're on your way to Colorado. Come back and tell us how things go. I'll be able to jump in and help once they've given you a diagnosis.

Crystal

Old 07-24-2015, 08:43 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
NO LOSS OF POWER YET, JUST THE LIGHT. AFTER A LITTLE POKING AROUND TODAY, THERE APPEARS TO BE AN ISSUE WITH THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR PLUG, DOSENT LOOK LIKE ITS A SECURE CONNECTION. MAYBE IM ONTO SOME THING.
Could be but that plug can tend to look "not secure" because of the bend cap thingy they put on the wires. Let us know please.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As stated it is MOST LIKELY that the EGR cooler has become restricted with carbon. This is a well known pattern failure and is referenced by TSB 12-6-14 which provides the proper diagnostic and repair information. Essentially the EGR cooler is removed and the CORE is replaced. Though not indicated by this TSB, the engine calibration should be programmed to the latest level as referenced by TSB 15-0021 and FSA 14E03 which addresses many concerns including DTC P0401. According to Ford, this calibration update is required before performing any diagnostics or repairs but it will not correct or compensate for the restricted EGR cooler core condition.

There are other conditions that can cause this code but they are rare and typically there would be an additional code along with the P0401. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why some trucks have this happen and others do not but the official response from Ford is the usual "fuel quality, excessive idling and or other performance issues that cause excessive soot in the exhaust." One good reason to ensure that your engine calibration is up to date. As of now I have yet to have any of my customers return with a repeat of this condition.

Lastly, DTC P0401 will not cause any performance issues such as engine de-rate, engine shutdown or stalling. Despite the check engine light the truck should perform normally but please do have it taken care of as soon as possible.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:38 AM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I recently was traveling on the freeway and noticed my CEL was on. I pulled over and fired up Torque Pro and the code was the P0401. When I started my truck the next day the CEL was gone and has not returned in the last two weeks. Current truck stats are 45k miles, 1430 hours and 326 idle hours. Do I need to get my truck into the dealer ASAP or can I wait until the light comes on again? Thanks for your help.

Al

Old 11-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't think so hoss. Just listen to all the advice, it is most likely the EGR.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:36 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
Al, you had reported this a week or two ago in the other online forum. I would get to the dealer and get this fixed. Also worth noting, is that your idle hours, vs running hours are quite high, approaching 25%. A lot of idling of these diesel engines will cause thing to plug up in general. On my truck with 96K miles, I have somewhere north of 2000 hours of run time, and about 200 hours of idle time, or about 10%. Granted most of my driving is highway to/from work, but I also dont let the truck idle a lot other than when stopped in traffic.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:25 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by doczenith1
I recently was traveling on the freeway and noticed my CEL was on. I pulled over and fired up Torque Pro and the code was the P0401. When I started my truck the next day the CEL was gone and has not returned in the last two weeks. Current truck stats are 45k miles, 1430 hours and 326 idle hours...
It certainly wouldn't hurt to get this into the hands of your dealer, Al. Let me know if you decide to swing by; I'll do what I can to assist after you receive a diagnosis.

Crystal

Old 01-05-2016, 04:04 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Had it fixed back on 12/9/2015 under the emissions warranty if I remember correctly. Took 2 days.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:19 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by doczenith1
Had it fixed back on 12/9/2015 under the emissions warranty if I remember correctly. Took 2 days.
I'm glad to hear that you're all fixed up, Al! Thanks for coming back and sharing your results with us.

Crystal

Quick Reply: P0401