1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Project 53 + 2000 Grand Marquis Donor=?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Vin Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project 53 + 2000 Grand Marquis Donor=?

I picked up a project 53 F100 earlier this week. I've also got a friend that has 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis. The GM has been in the family since 2003 so I know the history.

My buddy is willing to give me a good deal on the Merc. But not sure I could use it as a donor for my 53. Does anyone know if that is a good platform to get the engine, steering/front end, rear axle, etc? or should I be looking at different range of years for the donor?

Old 07-23-2015, 12:55 PM
c91x
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Different year truck but this is on a crown vic chassis

Old 07-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Vin Man
Senior User
I'm wondering if the 2000 is the right year for a donor? I've read about a bunch of trucks that are built with Crown Vic parts, just wondering if they are older (or newer) Crown Vics?
Maybe the better question to ask is this:
I want to use a crown vic (grand marquis/towncar) as a platform for my 1953 F100 project. What year(s) are the best donor cars for this project?

Old 07-23-2015, 01:14 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Originally Posted by Vin Man
I'm wondering if the 2000 is the right year for a donor? I've read about a bunch of trucks that are built with Crown Vic parts, just wondering if they are older (or newer) Crown Vics?
Maybe the better question to ask is this:
I want to use a crown vic (grand marquis/towncar) as a platform for my 1953 F100 project. What year(s) are the best donor cars for this project?
If you are talking about the Crown Vic IFS swap, you want the 2003 and newer "Panther" platform. That has the aluminum subframe.
IIRC the 2002 and older have the steer frame and require a frame-graft (cut/weld)

Old 07-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Vin Man
Senior User
The front suspension swap is definitely a want. Its either that or Mustang II.
Frame graft sounds a bit intimidating....

Old 07-23-2015, 04:01 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...100-frame.html

Here is a great thread with both examples in it.

The first pic is the Crown Vic "panther" cradle which can be bolted in. You need to narrow the cradle which is aluminum so you need a spool gun or a TIG welder. Then you need a different power steering rack. I narrowed mine 2.75 inches and adapted a 1990 Mustang steering rack to it.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:09 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangmike6996
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...100-frame.html

Here is a great thread with both examples in it.

The first pic is the Crown Vic "panther" cradle which can be bolted in. You need to narrow the cradle which is aluminum so you need a spool gun or a TIG welder. Then you need a different power steering rack. I narrowed mine 2.75 inches and adapted a 1990 Mustang steering rack to it.
Mike, I don't believe they need to be narrowed on the 53-56 trucks, the front frame on those are wider than the 48-52.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:29 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Mike, I don't believe they need to be narrowed on the 53-56 trucks, the front frame on those are wider than the 48-52.

I thought they would work. I think the F100 guys like to narrow them to add to wheel choice.

I know I was extremely limited when I was looking for something due to the positive offset of the front and zero offset of the rear axle.

For example, you can put any Mustang wheel on the fronts but you wont find that same style with the correct offset for the rear unless you dont mind wheels that are inset, design doesnt match the truck or you spend $$$ to get a custom offset.

I got luckey, and my fronts still stick out about 1/2" too much but are flush with the top of the fender opening.

I went with American Racing Torque Thrust, cast center, machined lips. 17x7 in the front and 17x8 in the rear. 235/45/17 front tires and 255/50/17 rear (tires came from my 1969 Mustang)

American racing was about 230 or so a wheel. The Customshop American Racing wheels were over $400 each. So I saved half of the money and got a set that fit descent. I am very picky about wheel fitment, I used to work in a tire shop for 6 years and did design for an auto manufactuer.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:48 PM
fun-ford
Senior User
Great swap. The 03 up is easier but limits wheel selection. I used front suspension ,engine,trans and radiator from a 2002 Grand Marquis in my 54. It requires clipping the frame but give a larger selection of wheels. I run 16" wheels to clear the 02 brakes but I helped a buddy do a 01 clip in a 57 and we used 97 rotors and calipers so he could run 15" wheels. Its been on the road 5 years and has been trouble free and I get 21-25 mph.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Vin Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by fun-ford
Great swap. The 03 up is easier but limits wheel selection. I used front suspension ,engine,trans and radiator from a 2002 Grand Marquis in my 54. It requires clipping the frame but give a larger selection of wheels. I run 16" wheels to clear the 02 brakes but I helped a buddy do a 01 clip in a 57 and we used 97 rotors and calipers so he could run 15" wheels. Its been on the road 5 years and has been trouble free and I get 21-25 mph.
What does "clipping the frame" mean?
Would I be correct in assuming it means cutting off the existing front part of the frame and grafting in the front from the donor vehicle?

Old 07-24-2015, 01:47 PM
fun-ford
Senior User
What does "clipping the frame" mean?
Would I be correct in assuming it means cutting off the existing front part of the frame and grafting in the front from the donor vehicle?
Correct, not as easy as the 03 up front end but I didn't like the limited wheel selection. But I have been very happy with the results.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Vin Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by fun-ford
Correct, not as easy as the 03 up front end but I didn't like the limited wheel selection. But I have been very happy with the results.

Thanks for the clarification.

I need to make a decision pretty soon as my friend with the Grand Marquis has it for sale on craigslist. I guess I really just need to decide how big of a project I want to take on with this new 53. It will be a big project based on where I'm starting from.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

I need to make a decision pretty soon as my friend with the Grand Marquis has it for sale on craigslist. I guess I really just need to decide how big of a project I want to take on with this new 53. It will be a big project based on where I'm starting from.
Don't do it. If you're already feeling overwhelmed before you start, doing a frame graft is not a good idea. It's not for the beginning truck builder. Too many good trucks have ended up in the scrap heap from guys getting in over their heads following someone else's 'good ideas.' It's a lot easier to work with what you have and be down the road having fun. It looks like a great starting place.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:02 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Don't do it. If you're already feeling overwhelmed before you start, doing a frame graft is not a good idea. It's not for the beginning truck builder. Too many good trucks have ended up in the scrap heap from guys getting in over their heads following someone else's 'good ideas.' It's a lot easier to work with what you have and be down the road having fun. It looks like a great starting place.
I sort of agree.

OP, you are at the bottom of the barrel right now. So many options and not a lot of direction can be overwhelming. Dont let it deter you tho. If a frame graft is over your skillset, dont attempt it. I consider myself a descent fabricator and moderate welder... I did not want to chop my frame off and weld a front half to my truck. Can it be done? Yes. Will it look ok/work correct? Depends on how good you are (or the person doing it)

As for powerplant/driveline etc.... a donor car is a great idea if you plan on using all of the parts (rear axle/trans/engine/wiring/computers etc)

What is your overall goal for the truck?

Here is the real question... if your buddies grand marquis wasnt for sale, would you be looking for that exact car for a donor? Probably not. Its not my first choice but it is still an ok starting point.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Vin Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by mustangmike6996
I sort of agree.

OP, you are at the bottom of the barrel right now. So many options and not a lot of direction can be overwhelming. Dont let it deter you tho. If a frame graft is over your skillset, dont attempt it. I consider myself a descent fabricator and moderate welder... I did not want to chop my frame off and weld a front half to my truck. Can it be done? Yes. Will it look ok/work correct? Depends on how good you are (or the person doing it)

As for powerplant/driveline etc.... a donor car is a great idea if you plan on using all of the parts (rear axle/trans/engine/wiring/computers etc)

What is your overall goal for the truck?

Here is the real question... if your buddies grand marquis wasnt for sale, would you be looking for that exact car for a donor? Probably not. Its not my first choice but it is still an ok starting point.

Thanks for the advice. I am also leaning in the don't graft a front end camp. I have access to some great friends and people with fab skills, but I tend to be more of an "instant gratification" type of person.

The plan I am feeling good about is getting it running and stopping now, then upgrade sections as time goes by. For example, put in a new motor, install aftermarket Mustang II, etc. This way, I see results after 1 "project" as opposed to having to completely disassemble the truck and not have anything usuable for a long time. Seeing a bunch of pieces spread out all over the place is more likely to lead me to giving up as opposed to seeing a truck say, without the engine in it.

Donor cars will always be available. This one nice because I know the history, but not a show-stopper at all.

Thanks again for the advice - truly appreciate.

Quick Reply: Project 53 + 2000 Grand Marquis Donor=?