Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Glow plug issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:21 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Glow plug issues?

I have a '93 non turbo, 7.3 IDI with new injectors, & glow plugs. Thought that I had an issue with the delay solenoid, but after replacing it with a new complete unit, I have the same issue. ?

When I turn the key, the "Wait to start" light just blinks on, then off, after about 1 second, and the delay solenoid starts clicking, as if the glow plugs have been heated.

This happened after a short trip, like 120 miles, with the old glow plug relay, so I bought and installed a new one. Same issue.

Any suggestions?? BTW, I am about 1000 miles South of the border, at the end of Baja, so do not have ready access to a good diesel mechanic. You guys are it.. Help me if you can please.

Baja

Old 07-23-2015, 08:31 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
good news.the "issue" your having isn't an "issue'' at all.that's normal operation of the 87-94 controller.
see,when the engine is cold,it will glow to plugs to aid in starting the engine.once the engine is up to operating temp however,the engine no longer needs glow plugs to aid in starting the truck so the controller doesn't have the relay cycle the plugs and you'll just get a little flicker of the light and maybe hear a click or two.
once the truck is warm,don't even bother with the gp system.just hop in and turn the key like a gasser and go.

now,if the truck is cold after sitting all night and the system acts the same way,rather than glowing the plugs for 10-15 seconds,then the odds are you've got a couple blown glow plugs.

keep your old relay.there's nothing wrong with it.

in summary;
all the glow plug system is,is an automated,convenient cold starting aid.
the 87-94 systems senses the resistance in the block to determine when the system isn't required and won't work when warm.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Thanks amigo, I will go try to start it after it has been sitting all night. If its the same issue, then I am confused, as I just replaced (like a week ago), all the glow plugs, and the wiring harness ends. My harness is an original from '93. Yesterday, I replaced the controller, with a new one, and had the same issue with the truck cold for 5 hours... It is 90 deg local air temp during the days now... so will go try it right now... back in a few...

Thanks for the help amigo...

Baja

Old 07-23-2015, 09:08 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
OK, just started it, and is did the same thing. When I turn the key, the 'Wait to Start' light just flashed once, and the controller starts clicking, like a click per second. All the glow plugs appeared to be connected, with the new connectors. ?? I let it click away until it stopped after about 8 to 10 seconds (next time I will count), and then tried to start the engine. I cranked it for about 6 seconds, and then tried it a 2nd time, and after about 3 seconds of cranking it started right up. Runs smooth, good idle, hitting on all 8 like it should.

I am wondering if the ignition switch is fubar, and causing some sort of electrical gremlin? Ford, and others have had ignition switch issues in the past, and this is a factory recall replacement, that I am running on now. I did find a small, and as of yet unidentified, piece of plastic on the floor mat last week. I will photograph it later, if I can find it. Stranger things have happened, especially where old plastic crap is concerned. Oh well... into each day, a little rain might fall..

Baja..

Old 07-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Either a couple of bad glow plugs, (new does not equal good), or bad connections.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:19 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
OK, I'll buy that, but now, how do I test them to find out which one, or 2 are bad?? Not sure if I saved my old ones, but I can look around... I usually don't throw them away unless they are fried looking... Anyway, how do I test them??

Baja

Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
The controller will accept one bad GP, but more than one and it short-cycles.

You can test with a test light or an ohm-meter, both procedures are in the FAQ.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:08 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Now, I tried to start the truck again, and after counting 29 clicks... it will not even turn over at all.. ?? Something involved with the starting electrical system is fubar...

Baja

Old 07-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Now, I tried to start the truck again, and after counting 29 clicks... it will not even turn over at all.. ?? Something involved with the starting electrical system is fubar...

Baja
Put the truck in neutral, pop the hood, and use a screwdriver to go between the small terminal and rearmost(IIRC - it's the one with multiple wires on it) large terminal on the starter relay located on the passenger fender wall.

If you get consistent, good-sounding starter action, you've probably got an issue with the ignition switch. If not, you want to check into the wires going to the starter itself, and then the starter.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:49 AM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Long shot here, but are you sure the new solenoid is a glow plug solenoid? Reason I ask is it's easy to confuse a starter solenoid with a glow plug solenoid, and that will not work if that's the case here.....

Old 07-24-2015, 03:34 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
and what type glow plugs did you put in? if they were autolites, they are most likely burned out already. motorcraft ZD-9 glow plugs ONLY in our engines.
all other brand glow plugs are PURE GARBAGE no matter what the parts counter monkey tries to tell you.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:18 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Yes, sadly they were Autolite, so now I am taking you advice, TJC , and thanks for it, and also thanks to the great help from everybody on this forum. I asked the parts guy in our little town, to please get me some Motorcraft, from the Ford dealer in La Paz, on his next trip...He is ordering them today.. hopefully Ford has them here.

I've had my '93, since '99 and have kept it up pretty well, mostly with Ford parts. I retired to Baja Mexico, and come North several times a year. Family & parts are on my list when I do. I sure appreciate all the friendly & helpful guys on this forum.

I also have my first Ford truck, that I bought in '69, after I came home from Vietnam. It is a '67 F250 4x4 Highboy, with a 300 IL 6 and 4 speed. I've been restoring it for almost 5 years now, cab off, frame up, total rebuild. I've gotten lots of help, and learned a lot, from the guys on the classic truck forum, and now I find that the Diesel forum guys are just as willing to help, as the classic guys.

Many thanks to you all, and I'm back under the hood now, where I am comfortable..

Baja

Old 07-24-2015, 05:27 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Yes, sadly they were Autolite,
great spark plugs.horrible glow plugs.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:48 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
never feel like you have a stupid question. we are all in the same boat trying to keep these old girls running.
if you can have the parts guy hold off on the glow plugs and have mail delivery, rock auto has the motorcraft ZD-9's for under $10 each. from a ford or international dealer, they are going to bang you $17-$18 each.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:33 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
First off, I want one of those T shirts amigo... that is some kind of stupid to attack a police officer.... you can't even fix that kind of stupid with duct tape.. I call duct tape APC..= All Purpose Cure... but there just isn't a cure for that kind of stupid.. now..

Back under the hood, I followed your directions, and put my test light on each and every GP, and 5 out of 8 were bad.. Thanks for the price info from RA, but shipping to Mexico is a crap shoot, with odds less than Vegas. I might pay more, but I will get more than just the empty box. You probably have an idea just how much I hate paying shipping & duty on an empty box... grrrrrrrrr and huge F-bombs..

I chalk it off to +'s and -'s... part of the price of living in paradise with a view and huge marlin right out in front of the house.. Slow days, Fast nights, and your initials in silver on your saddle. As the song goes.."Who could ask for anything more?"

With amigos like all you guys up north, I'm living in tall cotton. Thanks for the help, and keep the rubber side down..

Baja

Quick Reply: Glow plug issues?