Sponsored by:

Best oil for hot hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:56 AM
mr.noodi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best oil for hot hot weather

Guys it's time to do some oil change and am using 10w30 synthetic but the truck is eating fuel like crazy and I can hear some kind of knocking when full throttle .
sparks , boots and fuel filter is new .
The mechanic said I should put some lighter velocity oil .
truck odo 130k v10 hot hot weather .

Thanks

Old 07-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Gene Horr
Senior User
LIGHTER oil in hot weather? The mechanic is full of more cr*p than a Christmas turkey. I am not familiar with the recommendations for this engine but if there was a need to change I would try a 10-50 or 20-50 synthetic if you are in truly hot conditions.

Is the knocking sound like something fuel related (detonation or "knocks and pings" for the delicate types) or valve rattle?

Old 07-23-2015, 10:00 AM
mr.noodi
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gene Horr
LIGHTER oil in hot weather? The mechanic is full of more cr*p than a Christmas turkey. I am not familiar with the recommendations for this engine but if there was a need to change I would try a 10-50 or 20-50 synthetic if you are in truly hot conditions.

Is the knocking sound like something fuel related (detonation or "knocks and pings" for the delicate types) or valve rattle?
It's like random knocking or rattaling or more like pop corn sound appears at 3k rpm ,disappear at 4k. And it's back on 5k .

From 900 rpm up to 3k nothing wrong.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:26 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you tried a higher octane fuel?

Old 07-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Gene Horr
Senior User
X2 on changing the fuel. Higher octane and from a reputable source. If it goes away then try a lower octane from the same source.

Avoid higher throttle until you get this fixed.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.noodi
Guys it's time to do some oil change and am using 10w30 synthetic but the truck is eating fuel like crazy and I can hear some kind of knocking when full throttle .

Thanks
Did you recently switch to synthetic? Synthetic cleans the engine more efficiently and once all that crud is off, gaskets can start leaking, noises might all of a sudden start etc.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:44 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Your manual recommends 5-20 weight, but 5-30 would be better for hot climates. Synthetic is best, semi synthetic is fine.
The rattling may be fuel related, may be a heat shield rattling. I'd look around under the hood, at the muffler heat shield, any shields around the exhaust manifolds, etc. Check your exhaust manifold studs (chronic problem area on V-10s). Have someone rev the engine while you're looking.
Good luck!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:00 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used Ford's 5-20 synthetic blend on my previous EX... No problems on hot days or summer vacations where I would drive 1000 miles is 100 degree temps.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:59 PM
mr.noodi
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
Have you tried a higher octane fuel?
Yes from different sources but the rattling is not going away.

Originally Posted by Gene Horr
X2 on changing the fuel. Higher octane and from a reputable source. If it goes away then try a lower octane from the same source.

Avoid higher throttle until you get this fixed.
Originally Posted by Magnus E
Did you recently switch to synthetic? Synthetic cleans the engine more efficiently and once all that crud is off, gaskets can start leaking, noises might all of a sudden start etc.
No am using synthetic for along time

Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
Your manual recommends 5-20 weight, but 5-30 would be better for hot climates. Synthetic is best, semi synthetic is fine.
The rattling may be fuel related, may be a heat shield rattling. I'd look around under the hood, at the muffler heat shield, any shields around the exhaust manifolds, etc. Check your exhaust manifold studs (chronic problem area on V-10s). Have someone rev the engine while you're looking.
Good luck!
Actually I do have a tiny manifold leak . but it's not that bad .and the knocking is coming from above not low .

Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I used Ford's 5-20 synthetic blend on my previous EX... No problems on hot days or summer vacations where I would drive 1000 miles is 100 degree temps.
Yeah thanks. I think i would

Old 07-23-2015, 09:20 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had spark knock under load in hot weather also. Did plugs and coil boots and it went away. I don't know exactly why that fixed it, but I'm not questioning it. What kind of spark plugs did you use?

Old 07-24-2015, 08:20 AM
mr.noodi
Senior User
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
I had spark knock under load in hot weather also. Did plugs and coil boots and it went away. I don't know exactly why that fixed it, but I'm not questioning it. What kind of spark plugs did you use?
Am using Ford sparks , and I have accel coil for 4 years now Running stronge .

Old 07-24-2015, 03:11 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't use different oil. The motorcraft 5w20 Ford tells you to use is just fine. I used it in hot hot weather nd it was great.

It's likely spark knock. I would not use the accell coils. Go w originals and replace boots too. I've had this on a Ford car as well. As soon as the plugs were replaced and boots inspected it went away.
I think rockauto has the best prices.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:34 PM
mr.noodi
Senior User
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
Don't use different oil. The motorcraft 5w20 Ford tells you to use is just fine. I used it in hot hot weather nd it was great.

It's likely spark knock. I would not use the accell coils. Go w originals and replace boots too. I've had this on a Ford car as well. As soon as the plugs were replaced and boots inspected it went away.
I think rockauto has the best prices.
I 'll try to change the boots first and clean up the injectors .
if it's still knocking I I'll replace the coils .

Old 07-25-2015, 04:57 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
I'm getting ready to do my plugs and boots as well. I know they are well over due. I have a little bit of spark knock/pinging going on at lower RPM's when under a load.

With worn spark plugs, I believe the engine tends to run lean because they aren't producing a hot enough spark, so the unburnt fuel detected in the O2 sensors tells the engine to lean it out.

Correct me if I am wrong. That happens quite often.

Thanks

I've noticed here on the forum with the V10, guys and gals running the 5w30 use less oil, but get lower fuel economy, and the guys and gals running 5w20 get better fuel economy but use more oil.

Is your engine using any oil? Whats your current MPG?
What kind of temperatures are you seeing? Does it only knock when warm during the hottest times of the day?

Old 07-26-2015, 04:07 AM
mr.noodi
Senior User
Originally Posted by Drunken_Unicorn
I'm getting ready to do my plugs and boots as well. I know they are well over due. I have a little bit of spark knock/pinging going on at lower RPM's when under a load.

With worn spark plugs, I believe the engine tends to run lean because they aren't producing a hot enough spark, so the unburnt fuel detected in the O2 sensors tells the engine to lean it out.

Correct me if I am wrong. That happens quite often.

I've noticed here on the forum with the V10, guys and gals running the 5w30 use less oil, but get lower fuel economy, and the guys and gals running 5w20 get better fuel economy but use more oil.

Is your engine using any oil? Whats your current MPG?
What kind of temperatures are you seeing? Does it only knock when warm during the hottest times of the day?
My engine is not using any oil ,maybe some times under constant load .
And the temperature exceeds the 100 degree .

Quick Reply: Best oil for hot hot weather