1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3L occasional rough running, got AE, what's next?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:11 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks John! tried to rep you but I'm in time out........

Old 07-24-2015, 08:46 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Thanks John! tried to rep you but I'm in time out........
Appreciate it

Here's a link to the thread TorquePro Logging Quickstart Guide: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15488993

It also has a screenshot of the BT adapter I use

Old 07-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I looked at the data and everything tells me you have one of these on your MAP signal wire:

Zener Diode

Lop that off.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:01 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Here we go, we made a graph of the 40 second run from 0 mph - 90 mph.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:36 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jaymcjay
................Are these 30psi plateau that I see from my boost fooler regulator?.......................
That is what Tugly is thinking. The pic he posted above in post #33 is of the zener diode type boost fooler that over time can give you MAP error problems- if you do have this type boost fooler then remove it and do another stock data log run and see if we get the MAP & boost back to where it should be. If not it could be a boost leak or both.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:47 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
In the above graph in post #33 here is what is not right after talking with Tugly about this data graph.

The boost is maxing out at 14.7 psi - should be 17-18 with the wastegate and 20-22 with the wastegate capped

the MAP is not going any higher than 29 while EBP is pushing 49 psi. almost a 2:1 pressure ratio.

edit: the EBP is spiking up and down.

Anything I missed Tugly?

Old 07-25-2015, 11:37 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
...Anything I missed Tugly?
I think you covered our concerns until we can get some true data with stock tune. I also hate that seconds scale on FIPW. How many vehicles hold injectors open so long that it needs to be measured with a freaking calendar? "Wow, my injectors are open for 0.00002 days!" This is not the driver's fault, this is AE running amok.

I would set that FIPW scale value at 1000.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:06 PM
jaymcjay
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a pressure regulator shielding the computer from seeing the full boost, not a diode. My waste gate is clamped down pretty far so I build more than stock boost. Should I adjust the regulator up some? I don't like it when the truck puts me in time out for having too much fun!

Old 07-25-2015, 01:34 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Do you have a boost gauge in the cab that's reading you actual boost?

Also, how have your EGT's been?

Sorry I didn't catch the low boost numbers when we talked last night. I forgot to change your MAP from volts to psi prior to looking at the graph.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jaymcjay
I have a pressure regulator shielding the computer from seeing the full boost, not a diode. My waste gate is clamped down pretty far so I build more than stock boost. Should I adjust the regulator up some? I don't like it when the truck puts me in time out for having too much fun!
Pressure regulator? Well... it's more stable than some I've seen - it really locks in, like it's a voltage regulator.

Your pressure regulator is set to 14 PSI - you can bump it up to 22 PSI and that will prevent you from being grounded.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:32 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just a side note here Tug, I've been lurking on this one and I have AE V13.2, I checked My version of FIPW and mine says ms, not secs...Checking to see if there's multiple PIDs showing.....Just sayin'

Old 07-26-2015, 12:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tugly
Ah... you're likely to find that FIPW landing at about 4.5 ms. Let me know how far off I am.
TUNED

Originally Posted by ExPACamper

Uh-huh. Please note the FIPW (close to where I said it would be), the HPOI (way above the limit of 10), the ICP (low to normal), and the IPR (high to higher).

STOCK

Stock tune, please make note of the ICP, IPR, and FIPW.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:19 AM
jaymcjay
Freshman User
ok.........so what does this all mean?
I have clear marching orders on that boost pressure regulator. I will pull it from the system and do another drive to collect data. I'm heading to the airport this evening and have a nice long drive, much of it on the highway, so I can get some WOT pulls without feeling like I'm going to kill innocent bystanders. Before I plug that regulator back in I'll reset it to 22psi.

But what does this talk of High Pressure Oil Inefficiency mean? Too early to tell, without some data without that regulator in the loop?

Thanks All!

Old 07-26-2015, 11:19 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The high HPOI indicates the HPOP can't keep up with the tune. Does that mean the HPOP is weak? Not necessarily. It means the tune is demanding more oil than the HPOP can deliver, and putting another HPOP in might not completely cure the root issue. More oil means more fuel until there's no fuel left in the injector reservoir. After that point, more oil demand just means more work for the HPOP, without any performance returns. To the contrary, excessive oil demand can diminish the ICP, spike the IPR, and leave you with a tattle-tale Stinky Spike on the data log.

When this happens, a shift up feels like you have plenty of torque, but the torque ebbs with higher RPMs. If there's one thing I learned with these rigs, the oomph never really backs off at higher RPMs with a 100% truck and a tune balanced to the truck. Of course, I have gone through the expense/hassle of "canned" tunes, modified tunes, and live tunes on multiple chips from multiple providers to learn this - so it won't be common knowledge.

After you fix the MAP reading, here is something you can do to spice up the engine performance on your performance tune that takes zerro work or expense (how's that for incentive to try it?): Floor the truck while logging, and make note of things not being logged - like the permagrin-O-meter and the soot out the pipe. After that, take the throttle to 1/2 to 2/3 and make the same observations and logging. Let us know what you learn.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:05 PM
jaymcjay
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tugly

After you fix the MAP reading, here is something you can do to spice up the engine performance on your performance tune that takes zerro work or expense (how's that for incentive to try it?): Floor the truck while logging, and make note of things not being logged - like the permagrin-O-meter and the soot out the pipe. After that, take the throttle to 1/2 to 2/3 and make the same observations and logging. Let us know what you learn.
My guess is that the truck has nearly, or possibly more, power at 2/3 throttle (with an overly thirsty tune) than it has at full?

I'll perform that discovery excercise this afternoon on the way to the airport!

Quick Reply: 7.3L occasional rough running, got AE, what's next?