Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CA SMOG Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
CA SMOG Problems

So the state of smog ***** strikes again.

For those of you who remember the backstory, please forgive me.

Bought an e99 PSD out of state, no cat so it failed smog. Called Ford dealer who sold truck to me, explained the situation, they made it right by me and provided a CAT and shipped it to my home. I would take care of install.

So, CAT arrives, pay DMV all fees, fix front end, new steering box, and so fourth. Finally get truck re-assembled and go to muffler shop to have CAT welded in place. Previous Owner put a 4 in turbo back system on it, so I was going to just have the CAT welded on with some reducers. Muffler shop says no go, to check with SMOG tech first. SMOG tech says its still a fail unless I get an OEM down pipe because the 4 in pipe between the turbo and the CAT compromises the integrity of the system and it is considered tampered with.

*start rant*

Now for the fun Part, ford says the downpipe for a 7.3 truck with a cat is discontinued and no longer available, and no aftermarket downpipe is approved by the CARB. Junkyards cant locate one either, so I am ready to knock some heads together.

*end rant*

-Nick

Old 07-21-2015, 10:13 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
No sure I would worry too much as to whether a down pipe might be CARB legal, just get the CAT on it so its in place for the inspection. My last smog check lasted maybe 30 seconds. No kidding, I pulled the truck up to the bay, walked in to ask the lady where to pay and the tech came in at the same time and said I was done. Don't think too many techs are going to spec out your down pipe, they just want to see a CAT if the truck is required to have one...JMHO. I am sure there are plenty of folks on here that might have their original down pipe. I tossed mine when I changed the pipe but others may still have one they could send you if you really want to go with an OEM down pipe.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:18 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,342 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Look on the CARB website and you will find complete exhaust systems from Banks that are CARB approve with an Executive Order. Match your year and engine calibration catch code with the systems offered, including one that includes a new down pipe. Present the Executive Order exemption information to the smog tech at testing time.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Njstern87
Tuned
I talked to banks on the phone for quite some time, unfortunately, their system doesn't have a cat to begin with so the e/o number wouldn't be valid. Good idea though, I have applied for a parts waiver for the pipe (what difference should the diameter of the pipe make in real world applications as to the functionality of the CAT). The state will try and find me a down pipe and if they cant than I get a pass until the next time its required....just a bunch of garbage. Wish we that are stuck in CA had some way to fight back against the CARB and their faulty math on diesel smogs.....

Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 PM
Lambert01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in ca are you. My 01 came from Maryland and does not have a cat. I passed smog no problem.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:10 PM
Njstern87
Tuned
Sac. Mine is an e99, came from factory with cat, CA says I must have cat because my truck was equipped from manf. that way. From what I have researched the 99 model year manufactured before 12/98 had different injectors and different PCM programming. 12/98 until 03 when 7.3 was discontinued did not have cats as they went to split phase (??) injectors and reprogrammed the PCM. Ford says two different down pipes too,for those trucks equipped with cats and those without.....

Old 07-21-2015, 11:25 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by Njstern87
I talked to banks on the phone for quite some time, unfortunately, their system doesn't have a cat to begin with so the e/o number wouldn't be valid. Good idea though, I have applied for a parts waiver for the pipe (what difference should the diameter of the pipe make in real world applications as to the functionality of the CAT). The state will try and find me a down pipe and if they cant than I get a pass until the next time its required....just a bunch of garbage. Wish we that are stuck in CA had some way to fight back against the CARB and their faulty math on diesel smogs.....

I like the idea of a parts waiver... good for you for pursuing that avenue. However, it is only a temporary fix, and you will face the same issue again in 24 months, which comes quick.

Who did you talk to at Banks? A salesperson (so called "power consultant")? The telephone sales staff at Banks traditionally, and unfortunately, are the least knowledgeable people one can talk to about Banks products. I have found this to be the case for the last 33 years, ever since 1982. And I have said the same thing to Gale Banks personally, as I have spent time with him at his facility on another project. The sales staff he seems to hire remind me of car sales people... whose primary job it is to sell, not get bogged down in the details.

Of the three kits for the 1999 model year Super Duty with a Catalytic Converter that are registered with the CARB with an Executive Order, there is the Power Pack, the Stinger, and the Git Kit. The Git Kit is the cheapest of the three, with the least amount of content. However, it has the content you need, including a downpipe and a low restriction straight through muffler with a venture inlet to accelerate the exhaust gasses through the muffler chamber upon entry.

The Banks part number to that kit is 47511.

The California Air Resources Board Emissions Compliance Executive Order number is CARB E.O. D-161-55.

Here is the link to a pdf of this Executive Order that is on file with the State of California:

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-161-55.pdf

Here is the link to the CARB DATABASE that indexes this Executive Order as valid and in effect for the vehicles for which it was initially issued (94-97, and 1999 7.3L engines in Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duties).

ARB Aftermarket Executive Order - Search results.

Here is the link to the Banks website that lists this Git Kit part number as appropriate for a 1999 F-250/350 with a Catalytic Converter:

Banks Power | 99-03 Ford - 7.3L Power Stroke>>Git-Kit®

All you are really after is the 3" downpipe. That is an approved 3" downpipe that will connect to the CAT converter without reducers. Any nominal additions in tubing of the same diameter can be ignored as make up for the original tubing cut in the replacement/repair of the original CAT.

The muffler, tailpipe, and calibration module are extra bene's in the kit as far as your concerned, but the main thing in your case is that you have an EO for a 3" downpipe that is still a lot better than the stock downpipe because the Banks downpipe is full diameter mandrel bent, not smashed flat at the firewall like the stock downpipe is.

Hope the numbers and the links are of some use to you, and anyone else struggling with passing smog.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:27 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by Lambert01
Where in ca are you. My 01 came from Maryland and does not have a cat. I passed smog no problem.

The early 99's had a CAT. The CATS were deleted in 2000, but then brought back again subsequent years, depending on manual or automatic trans.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 PM
Lambert01
Senior User
Didn't realize it had a cat when it was born.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:08 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
i say have the cat welded in as the truck sits ( and if your exhaust shop wont weld it in, find another shop.. cash talks, and sometimes beer.) then go to a different smog shop and say zip nada zilch!!!! if they dont say anything great!!! if they fail you THEN go through the headache of changing the entire exhaust system.

but thats just my 2 cents worth, sometimes opening your trap gets costly.

also does your hood sticker say catalysis or non catalysis?

Old 07-22-2015, 12:20 AM
sudsmcduff
More Turbo
i would look for another smog shop. if they want to get paid they will pass you. my old smog guy was to honest and would not let anybody slide. i have plenty of ghetto shops around here. usally the asians pass everybody.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:02 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wanna know the sad thing? That "cat" is really just a big chunk of worthless ceramic honeycomb. Diesel "cats" prior to model year 2007.5 have virtually zero precious metals in them. (platinum, palladium, rhodium) These are the "active ingredients" in a catalytic converter. I buy/sell cats for scrap. Pretty much ANY pre-2007.5 DIESEL cat is worth about $5-$10, whereas the newer ones can be worth hundreds. This is how you know there is really nothing in the older ones.

They are making you jump through all these hoops, to ultimately accomplish nothing. In fact, with the reduced restriction, and improved fuel economy, I would say the truck is actually more "environmentally friendly" without the cat.

Do you live close to a bordering state (Nevada, etc..)? Perhaps you can get a PO BOX, or find a friend or something who will let you use their address, and just register the truck in another state with easier inspections?

As an FYI to the OP, technically they are right about the larger pipe, and placement in the pipe (specifically the distance from the exhaust port to the cat - or the turbo I guess)being tampering. As I said , in this case the cat is pretty useless anyway, but in applications where they actually are functional, they depend on exhaust heat to "light off" and do their job. So, the further downstream they are mounted, the less efficient/effective a cat is. A larger diameter exhaust pipe would have a similar effect of cooling the exhaust temps before/into the cat.. Again, this assumes you have a functional cat to begin with though.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:11 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Of the three kits for the 1999 model year Super Duty with a Catalytic Converter that are registered with the CARB with an Executive Order...

Hope the numbers and the links are of some use to you, and anyone else struggling with passing smog.
Reps for your research and very helpful post!

Originally Posted by OldBlackCat
i say have the cat welded in as the truck sits ( and if your exhaust shop wont weld it in, find another shop.. cash talks, and sometimes beer.) then go to a different smog shop and say zip nada zilch!!!!
That's one idea.

also does your hood sticker say catalysis or non catalysis?
If he has one (not all trucks do) then it would say he needs a cat since he has an E99 truck.

Stewart

Old 07-22-2015, 02:39 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
[QUOTE=Stewart_H;15518529

If he has one (not all trucks do) then it would say he needs a cat since he has an E99 truck.

Stewart[/QUOTE]

well aware! thankfully i have a "non cat" sticker, and i am well aware of the smog BS.... and i will leave it at that.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:34 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
If you register the truck at an out of state address you still need to CA smog it, but if you register it in a change of ownership area/county then you smog it once and done. The closet places to Sac are Eastern Placer County, Sierra County and almost all point north. (Nevada County is bi-annual smog area because of I-80)

Per CARB law the smog requirement is based on mailing address and not your physical or where the vehicle is used.

Like said earlier don't offer any extra info and don't answer questions you don't have to. i.e. Where is the truck garaged? My mailing address is .......

Good luck.

Quick Reply: CA SMOG Problems