WWYD 1957 F100

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 12:36 PM
BigMasterCheese
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWYD 1957 F100

What Would You Do?!

So let me be the first to admit I am a rookie and pretty clueless when it comes to what it takes to do a quality restore. To be totally honest I never thought I would own a Ford (don't hate) but just something about this truck made me have to go for it. So I have a solid 1957 Classic Cab with a rebuilt 352 Interceptor and rebuilt automatic transmission. The interior is probably the roughest thing about this truck. So here is my question (or questions).
I know all or a lot of these questions have been addressed and beat to death but my hope it to get different opinions, ideas, and most of all specific resources for someone who is new to the game.

Laundry list:
#1 This truck has been off the road for 8 years... what would you do first?
#2 The front end is pretty interesting, it has a reversed tension road which you can easily lower and raise. I like were the front sits but the tires rub when turning. What wheels and tires (size) should I look at?
#3 I want to bring the back end down as well. What is the less expensive and invasive method you would recommend?
#4 I want to get a new steering column, what has been successful for you and where do I get it?
#5 Same for gauges, what has worked for you and where do you recommend buying?
#6 How far would you take this truck apart if it was your restore?
#7 Does anybody have much experience with the 352?

I know most of these questions would be subjective and I will get answers all over the spectrum but that is what I am looking for. I want to know what other
people would do before deciding how to proceed. Mainly it would be great to have some resources. Parts, ideas, how-to's and what not.

Again, I apologize for the ignorance but maybe this will help some future newbie as well.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Danleig
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the budget? That drives every decision.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:49 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Restore to original or put modern technology such as up grades power steering, brakes ect. Makes a big difference. Nice start which ever way u go! Sounds like u have a rod that adjusts the front end? Might be a Volare front end. More pics of the front end and interior and more people can chime in.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:05 AM
BigMasterCheese
Freshman User
Well, I am in no hurry but I am thinking about 4k but I'm sure things will come up.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:15 AM
BigMasterCheese
Freshman User
Originally Posted by thrifty
Restore to original or put modern technology such as up grades power steering, brakes ect. Makes a big difference. Nice start which ever way u go! Sounds like u have a rod that adjusts the front end? Might be a Volare front end. More pics of the front end and interior and more people can chime in.
Thanks thrifty! It actually has power steering and brakes. So I could easily get it on the road and just work on interior. But there is a part of me that wants to tear it down further and go through it with a fine comb. I will get more pictures posted. I also should of looked at the "Read First" post before posting. A lot of the information I was looking for.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:35 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
There will be quite a few teeth missing in your "fine tooth" comb with a 4 G budget!
With that budget I would confirm the brake system, Steering, tires & drive train is completely dependable. Then jump on the creature comforts.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:00 PM
BigMasterCheese
Freshman User
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
There will be quite a few teeth missing in your "fine tooth" comb with a 4 G budget!
With that budget I would confirm the brake system, Steering, tires & drive train is completely dependable. Then jump on the creature comforts.
Point taken, thank you. I'm just happy having the truck at this point!

Old 07-22-2015, 04:06 PM
78 & 87 Super Cab
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just drive it

Old 07-22-2015, 05:16 PM
BigMasterCheese
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 78 & 87 Super Cab
Just drive it
That's too easy! I need to address some things for sure but it wouldn't take much to get it on the road. Tires, changing fluids, I think fuel pump is trying to go out and going over electric may be a good idea. My favorite addition is a gas pedal crafted out of a spoon.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:20 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
If you like a bench seat. I found the ford mini vans (I think the Aerostar) back seat fit these trucks nicely with a thin back they give about the most leg room possible, if you are long legged like me that is a high priority

Old 07-23-2015, 10:26 AM
BigMasterCheese
Freshman User
If you like a bench seat. I found the ford mini vans (I think the Aerostar) back seat fit these trucks nicely with a thin back they give about the most leg room possible, if you are long legged like me that is a high priority
Yes! That's the stuff I'm looking to learn. At 6'4" that is very useful!

Old 07-23-2015, 02:58 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
The other thing that I like about those seats is where your butt sets is centered with the steering wheel. Ive had other bench seats that the butt pocket didn't line up with the steering wheel.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:57 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
#3 I want to bring the back end down as well. What is the less expensive and invasive method you would recommend?

I agree that the front is either too low or the back is too high. I have not done this, but I have rear that you could mount the rear end on top the leaf springs instead of below it, Seems to me that that would lower it quite a bit. Another less drastic option is to remove some leaves, that is as long as you are not gonna haul heavy stuff.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:44 AM
Christopher Paul
New User
I am having the exact question about my 57' ford pickup. i will probably start with removing the front qtr panels for more room than messing with brakes, suspension and everything from there, who knows. my first project/

Old 07-26-2015, 10:06 AM
BigMasterCheese
Freshman User
WWYD 1957 F100

The other thing that I like about those seats is where your butt sets is centered with the steering wheel. Ive had other bench seats that the butt pocket didn't line up with the steering wheel.
Is that what you have in your truck? Which is a beauty by the way! Have a picture of how it looks?

Quick Reply: WWYD 1957 F100