Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Only 1" diameter larger tires and now the Nav sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:53 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Only 1" diameter larger tires and now the Nav sucks!

I can put my Garmin GPS in my 2013 FX4 and it doesn't have any trouble keeping track of where I am. But the stock Navigation system seems to randomly put my position off the road I'm on. My stock tires were 32.09" in diameter and the new Cooper Discoverer AT3's are 275/70R18 with a diameter of 33.23". Seems like Ford should have just contracted with one of the major gps companies to handle the navigation system. Heck, they contract all kinds of parts on a vehicle, why did they try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to gps navigation.

I'm about to head off on a cross country drive, that's why I put the new tires on, guess I'll just bring along my trusty old $125 gps rather than ever spring for one of Ford's $800 navigation updates.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master

Here's an example of it showing me off the freeway on a side street while I'm really on the freeway

Old 07-20-2015, 09:35 PM
gcan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you by chance just do your Sync update? I have the same issue that started last week seemingly right after I did the update??

crazy mine even shows me on the interstate then off on a side street and then back on
the interstate......really making it virtually useless unless you know where you're going

Old 07-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I don't understand. Are you saying that it used to work correctly before you installed larger tires?

Old 07-20-2015, 10:13 PM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Disconnect your battery for several minutes. It will reset the nav. I did it to my 2014 after I put bigger tires on it. Has worked fine for a year.
Lots of nav issues solved by just doing this. Wife had a brand new 2014 explorer sport that tracked like that right off the lot. Did the battery reset on that one too and it fixed it. Try the free stuff. I'm betting it takes care of it.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:37 AM
DashTrash
Junior User
Park your truck outside. Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. Reconnect and fire up the truck. Give it a few minutes to reset/reboot the Nav. Problem should be fixed.

I did this after I had the service department update my tire size. No problems since.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:57 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Yes, the nav worked fine before...if you can disregard the times it seems to lock up trying to figure out a route. I think those lock ups are due to being someplace that doesn't have good reception. It only started the wrong tracking after the tires were put on last week. I'll try the battery disconnect tonight. If I need to do a full Sync reset does it loose all the nav favorites?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:31 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Hey Everyone,

If you're having this issue, please contact your dealership and inquire about the recent navigation update that was released.

If you have any questions, I'm just a post away.

Whitney

Old 07-21-2015, 06:26 PM
gcan
Freshman User
I did the SYNC update that I thought updated the nav and this is seems to be when my problem started....maybe just a fluke but didn't notice it until soon after the update.....about a 2 weeks after larger tires were installed.
Seems like my local dealer charges me $100 just to talk to them, heaven help me if they have to plug their computer into my truck....what exactly should I say to them? is there a newer update or a problem with the latest update?

Old 07-21-2015, 07:46 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by gcan
I did the SYNC update that I thought updated the nav and this is seems to be when my problem started....maybe just a fluke but didn't notice it until soon after the update.....about a 2 weeks after larger tires were installed.
Seems like my local dealer charges me $100 just to talk to them, heaven help me if they have to plug their computer into my truck....what exactly should I say to them? is there a newer update or a problem with the latest update?
Hi gcan,

The update is specifically for navigation; it calibrates the system to remedy those issues. You can reference my post when speaking to your dealer; let the service department know you were advised to contact them for the recent navigation (not SYNC & not map) update.

If you have any problems with the dealer or getting this resolved, please send a PM with your VIN and a description.

I'm happy to help.

Whitney

Old 07-21-2015, 08:41 PM
gcan
Freshman User
thank you for offering the help, one question is this a free update or will they charge me?
Sorry to beat this to death but I don't have a great relationship with my local dealer, I've bought 3 of my last 4 Fords from a dealer over 50 miles away versus the guy less than 10 miles away. If there's a charge I'll need to make arrangements to take it to where I purchased it last month.

I did call my local dealer to ask about recalc'ing the speedomenter after installing the larger tires and they said $100 just to plug it in and then weren't sure if it would be accurate.

by the way it's a new 2014 FX4 supercrew

again thank you for the help!

Old 07-21-2015, 10:41 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
You'll need to have your truck programmed to the new tire size. The built-in navigation systems use dead reckoning to increase the accuracy of your location. Your built in navigation can work in tunnels and other place with weak GPS reception because of this method. Your incorrect tire size is confusing the GPS since one of the inputs of off.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:13 AM
gcan
Freshman User
I understand what you saying but unclear how a larger diameter tire would make my Nav switch my vehicle back and forth between parallel roads 1/2 mile apart? I could understand distances being off but this is beyond that,
Last Friday I was on the interstate heading straight north for 30 miles fine and then all of a sudden the Nav shows me on a service road 1/2 mile away, does this until I come to the next entrance ramp and the GPS directs me, and shows on the screen, to get back onto the interstate and then I'm back on the interstate.....all without me every changing my course or direction......it's crazy

Old 07-22-2015, 07:01 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the very same issue on a brand new Explorer Sport right off the showroom floor. That's when I started researching. Yes, I could have went to the dealer, but they are 40 miles away. I read on several forums the battery reset worked. So I tried that first. In that vehicle, it fixed it and we drove it for a year with perfect tracking. In my 14 F150, the tire shop disconnected the battery when they installed the leveling kit and larger Duratracs. I've had zero tracking issues and my speedo is uncorrected. Lots of Internet advice that I found saying the battery disconnect is a fix. It worked for me. And it was free and no hassle.
Give it a shot.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
From what I'm reading, it doesn't appear to be a tire size changing issue. It sounds as though the nav system has run-a-muck. I just installed a set of new tires that are approximately .5" larger diameter and the navigation in my 2014 E.B. Limited is off a little. I don't understand how anyone could expect the navigation system to be accurate with over-sized tires.

Quick Reply: Only 1" diameter larger tires and now the Nav sucks!