6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2016 F-250 with 6.2 L. What mods to improve towing if any Buying 1st truck...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:39 PM
Danattherock
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 F-250 with 6.2 L. What mods to improve towing if any Buying 1st truck...

We are buying an Airstream that weighs around 8,000 lbs. current Tahoe won't cut it for payload so we are searching for our first truck. Was almost set on the 6.7 diesel but I keep running across online reports of major expense maintaining, repairing, and running the diesels. Can't separate fact from BS but I've reads enough to make me wonder.

Assuming true, maybe I'm better off with the gasser. I love the sound a rumbling V-8 makes anyway. But over read here and on Airstream forum that gassers run high rpm and search for gears climbing hills with heavy loads. Our main use for camper is monthly or more weekend trips into nearby Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn. Lots of twisty roads and steep grades. Which is why I thought diesel would be best.

I'm also wanting 35x12.5x18 or close, maybe 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX tires. Sounds like it will fit stock height, but not sure. Wondering if you guys had any input on how well this set up would tow. I don't want rear sagging. Don't want to have a poor functioning tow vehicle due to my off road interset, style preferences, etc. Not sure what works as this will be my first truck and first camper.

Also, any suggestions on performance or suspension mods to make this a more capable tow vehicle. I have read where many folks get Bilstein shocks, but not sure why or what they do. I don't want a reprogrammer or anything to compromise reliability or warranty.

I know I want a real dual exhaust. Any suggestions on the best. I like at V8 to sound like a V8. Any cold air or intake mods worth messing with? Never had one but hear it's a common upgrade.

What gear should I get if buying or ordering a 250 or 350 6.2L single rear wheel crew cab? Can I order with a better suited gear than what I can buy on lot? Heard 4.10 and 4.30 were good, but not sure what's available on non duallys.

Thanks for any info. Curious if the 6.2 will serve my interest better than a 6.7.

Dan

Old 07-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Honestly, if it was me, the only mod I would do is to put gas in the gas tank.

If you're going to go crew cab, I'd go F350 single rear, only because with 4x4 and a crew cab, you're eating into your available payload pretty far. I have the extended cab 8 ft bed, so my payload numbers are better. I pull an 8K trailer with mine without any problems at all. Mine has the 3.73 gears, which is the standard set. The optional set is the 4.30 gears. Now, since you said lots of hills and grades, I will say opt for the 4.30 gears, where I normally tell guys the 3.73 is fine.

Not sure what your tongue weight will be on an actual scale, but I have zero sag with my 8K trailer. I'll have to see if I can find my scaled weight slip, I think it's around here somewhere. Any heavier of a trailer and you may want to go with installing air bags on the rear, just to level it out. But I'd be surprised if you'd have sag issues with the one you're looking at now.

I'm still running mine as bone stock, no tune, cold air or exhaust mods. Personally I wouldn't waste your money on any of those, I very much doubt you'd see any real difference (except the tune of course), but only find yourself lighter in the pocket.

If I towed heavy all the time, or ran a max weight capacity service body truck or boom truck, I would have likely bought the 6.7. In my mind it would make sense to pay the extra up front costs, and the continuous added maintenance costs. But I don't, so I didn't. It really depends on what your individual needs are. And it sounds to me like you'd be better served with the 6.2

Old 07-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Unclemark
Senior User
While the 6.7l is one bad mamajama there is fair amount of upkeep with a diesel. I just sold my 6.0l because of all the maintenance it required. I can think of anything other than drive your 6.2... I would change anything on it.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:18 PM
eazmo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your going to run larger tires, tow in hills I recommend 4:30 gears in F350

other then that run it, save that mod cash for fuel, beers for more camp trips

Old 07-20-2015, 10:36 PM
Danattherock
Freshman User
I like the way you think. Can you buy 4.30 or do you have to order? What's the main pros/cons? Better pulling power with heavy loads, especially in mountains at cost of lower gas mileage with 4.31?

Been leaning towards 350 anyway. 250 vs 350 and gas vs diesel are why my trigger finger no workie.

Made three trips to Ford dealers last week and only looked at diesels. Wish I had test drove a 6.2 for comparison. It's hard being this smart. It really is.

Dan

Old 07-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Danattherock
Freshman User
Slim,

Thanks man. The Airstream we are eyeballing is around 7-7.5k lbs dry and has hitch weight of 950 lbs. that's why I'm leaning towards the stiffer rear springs on the F-350. Less likely to sag I figure. Also, would like 35/12.5/18 or at least 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX tires and sounds like they might fit stock height. Figure if I get 350 with snowplow or heavy duty front spring package, I will defiantly clear my desired rubber. Or so that's the plan.

Some add leveling kits, as you guys know, sorry. What I'm asking, what exactly is a leveling kit, what's it cost, and such. I might go that route depending, or a mild 2.5-3" lift if no steering and handling issues were expected. But since towing is a priority, I don't want to stray too far.

Dan

Old 07-21-2015, 05:26 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
I would suggest a 350 and 4.30 gears. I have a 250 3.73's with an 8500lb 34 foot V nose trailer and have pulled through the Smokies with it and was very happy with the power. I ran 91 octane the entire trip with a stock tuned engine and I will say when hauling run 91 octane as there is a noticeable difference in power. I bought my truck used so had to take what there was but if I was buying new there is no doubt it would have 4.30 gears.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:28 AM
F2502011
More Turbo
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
I went from a 6.7 to a 6.2 with 4.30s it does the job just fine but is underwhelming and thirsty compared to the 6.7. Much easier to maintain and it sure does sound good though sucking all that fuel down. At only 8K lbs though I would seriously consider a 1/2 ton for better ride quality from any of the big 4, Ecoboost, 6.2 Chevy with new 8speed auto, Ram, or Tundra. Most of them will tow 10K lbs or more. I believe the Ecoboost Ford is up to 12,200 now.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:54 AM
eazmo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Danattherock
I like the way you think. Can you buy 4.30 or do you have to order? What's the main pros/cons? Better pulling power with heavy loads, especially in mountains at cost of lower gas mileage with 4.31?

Been leaning towards 350 anyway. 250 vs 350 and gas vs diesel are why my trigger finger no workie.

Made three trips to Ford dealers last week and only looked at diesels. Wish I had test drove a 6.2 for comparison. It's hard being this smart. It really is.

Dan
I found The 4.30's very hard to find on dealer lots. where I am anyway. but yes better towing power and if you go up in tire diameter that also raises final drive ratio. I tested both and didn't notice a big difference just around town, however the 6.7 will greatly out pull a 6.2 on hills or high altitude but it is also a different animal that carries allot more expense with it.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:41 AM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Those Airstreams are crazy expensive! I camped next to a guy from Toronto this weekend who paid $17K for his 25 year old 25'. No slides, dented, etc. They sure keep their value! He was towing with a F-150 EcoBoost 4wd CC and he loved it. He said his weighed 5000# dry I believe.

I tow my 5800# dry camper with no issues in the mountains (8,000'+). I'm around 7200# loaded up with 40gal of water, food, camping gear, beer, etc. My tongue weight is 850#, know that one.

If you want gas, get a F-350 CC SB 6.2 4.30 FX4 w/ clearance lights (they rock!), camper package.

This is if you are 100% certain you will not be upgrading to a big 5th wheel in the future. Because of this, I'm going 6.7 PSD next time. I want to be able to pull anything I get the desire to buy down the road....

Old 07-21-2015, 03:24 PM
TrailWhale
Junior User
Dan,
Are you local to the Western NC area? I have a 2012 Crew Cab, short bed with the 6.2 and 4.30 gears if you'd like to take it for a test drive.

I live in the Asheville area, and I work construction. I pull a 14' trailer usually loaded to 5-7000lbs and the truck does it with no problems. It will rev higher than a diesel, but it gets the job done for less up front cost, less maintainance cost, and lest cost per gallon of fuel.

While the over all MPG numbers are lower than a diesel, it really isn't bad. Unloaded running down the highway I'm getting 14mpg all day. Loaded with my trailer and mountains, with mixed highway/city driving I'm doing 10-11mpg.

I do have a 5star tune and a HyperTech inline conditioner to correct the speedo and odo.

I'm also running 37" tires with a 6" lift.

To run 35s you'd need a leveling kit. And I actually have one, new in box I'd love to get rid of if you're interested.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-21-2015, 04:35 PM
eazmo
Senior User
Originally Posted by TrailWhale
Dan,
Are you local to the Western NC area? I have a 2012 Crew Cab, short bed with the 6.2 and 4.30 gears if you'd like to take it for a test drive.

I live in the Asheville area, and I work construction. I pull a 14' trailer usually loaded to 5-7000lbs and the truck does it with no problems. It will rev higher than a diesel, but it gets the job done for less up front cost, less maintainance cost, and lest cost per gallon of fuel.

While the over all MPG numbers are lower than a diesel, it really isn't bad. Unloaded running down the highway I'm getting 14mpg all day. Loaded with my trailer and mountains, with mixed highway/city driving I'm doing 10-11mpg.

I do have a 5star tune and a HyperTech inline conditioner to correct the speedo and odo.

I'm also running 37" tires with a 6" lift.

To run 35s you'd need a leveling kit. And I actually have one, new in box I'd love to get rid of if you're interested.

Hope this helps.
there ya go! you cant beat that deal
That's awesome of you TW

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-21-2015, 07:07 PM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Dan,
I am in agreement with many of the other posters here that you are likely looking for a 6.2 with the 4.30 gears, and if there's no insurance or other regulatory issues you may as well go with a 350 over a 250 to make it really easy to stay within the legal numbers for payload.

Last October I ordered my 250 with the 6.2 and 4.30 gears specifically for the likelihood that I will be getting a camper weighing in close to 8k empty and the places that I go camping are between 6,000 and 11,000 feet in elevation in Colorado. I have not purchased that camper yet, but I have towed a couple (~5.5k loaded and ~3k loaded) and I have been very pleased with the performance of the truck. I could hardly tell that the smaller trailer was back there and the larger trailer made it very clear that doubling its weight would not be a problem for the truck at all. I got the snowplow prep package on my truck as well so that I could easily clear ~35" tires (I am looking at 285/75R18) on stock suspension. The 4.30 gears are nearly impossible to find on a dealer lot, but I think that they are definitely the way to go for you considering your desire to get larger tires and towing in the mountains. I doubt that you will notice more than ~1mpg difference running unloaded between the 3.73 and 4.30 gears anyway.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide on.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Danattherock
Freshman User
Originally Posted by F2502011
I went from a 6.7 to a 6.2 with 4.30s it does the job just fine but is underwhelming and thirsty compared to the 6.7. Much easier to maintain and it sure does sound good though sucking all that fuel down. At only 8K lbs though I would seriously consider a 1/2 ton for better ride quality from any of the big 4, Ecoboost, 6.2 Chevy with new 8speed auto, Ram, or Tundra. Most of them will tow 10K lbs or more. I believe the Ecoboost Ford is up to 12,200 now.

Test drove a F-250 XL with 6.2 today.Underwhelming is the word. Sluggish was my impression. But it's a heavy truck, I get it. Wish I hadn't drove the 6.7 last week. Friggin rocket ship. But I'm concerned about longterm cost, not the price of admission. Read many reports of failed fuel pumps and injectors. Made me look into the 6.2. No idea what to do.

As for the Tundra, what a joke. Saw two today and stated, printed, payload was 1525 lbs. actual sticker on door for the exact model was 1300 lbs. wife and I discussed smaller Airstream, with 781 lb hitch wt and 5850 lb dry wt. Trying to see if Tundra was even worth considering. But 1300 lbs. dang. My 2005 Tahoe grocery getter has 1550 on door. Tundra is out.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:05 PM
Danattherock
Freshman User
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
Those Airstreams are crazy expensive! I camped next to a guy from Toronto this weekend who paid $17K for his 25 year old 25'. No slides, dented, etc. They sure keep their value! He was towing with a F-150 EcoBoost 4wd CC and he loved it. He said his weighed 5000# dry I believe.

I tow my 5800# dry camper with no issues in the mountains (8,000'+). I'm around 7200# loaded up with 40gal of water, food, camping gear, beer, etc. My tongue weight is 850#, know that one.

If you want gas, get a F-350 CC SB 6.2 4.30 FX4 w/ clearance lights (they rock!), camper package.

This is if you are 100% certain you will not be upgrading to a big 5th wheel in the future. Because of this, I'm going 6.7 PSD next time. I want to be able to pull anything I get the desire to buy down the road....

Thanks for the numbers man. That helps me.

As for the bold print, I'm liking it. I would have to order anyway. At this point, I would likely just buy a silver XL with power windows, cruise, remote start, nicer radio with 4 speakers, etc.

350, why not. Cab lights, heck yeah. 4x4. Surely.

4.30 gears, I can order that in single rear wheel?

Camper package, snow plow package, heavy duty front suspension? That's where it all starts getting fuzzy.

And this 6.2 was a turtle. What could I do to make her a little more fun. I don't want to detract from reliability and warranty stuff. What are milder mods? Cold air induction worth messing with? I want a true dual exhaust that sounds like a V8 should. What's the best? Only had flowmaster in past on a few cars and now Tahoe. Not sure what's best for this truck.

Dan

Quick Reply: 2016 F-250 with 6.2 L. What mods to improve towing if any Buying 1st truck...