1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Need some roof rebuilding and rust advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 12:55 AM
voodoolord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some roof rebuilding and rust advice.

I started stripping my gutters and paint to get at the rust on my 78. I was planning on using ospho or some type of rust converter then bed line it until I saw the extent of the damage. Now Im back to square one. It looks like someone used a bunch of bondo on the roof and thats cracking and rusting underneath. What do you guys recommend for these roof angles with the holes and all the bondo?

Cracked bondo

Holes on the top after grinding the bondo away.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:36 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 165 Likes on 152 Posts
Well I see! oh my.. You are going to have to replace some metal.....

if mine is that bad maybe Ill have to think outside the box!
http://thumbsnap.com/sc/Qg97Nrs7.jpg
or
https://www.google.com/search?q=cut+...KSmPpzx_cWM%3A

Old 07-20-2015, 01:48 AM
voodoolord
Senior User
Its practically the only rust on the rig. Its a damn shame they didnt fix it right in the first place.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:49 AM
voodoolord
Senior User
Lol. Thanks for the links.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:51 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
How long do you plan on keeping the van? Do yo think there is a structural strength issue with so much rust? Maybe cut out the bad rust areas, try to stop the rust, and use some fiberglass to repair it with?

Old 07-20-2015, 02:03 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Ah was doing some research and many folks say fiberglass wont last long and will pull away from the metal..

perhaps filling in with pieces of sheet metal using rivets and bondo material over it?

Old 07-20-2015, 02:17 AM
voodoolord
Senior User
Bondo sucks and doesnt last either. Im doing research on it now but theres not much info for this problem on a van. I probably should have posted this in the van forum.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:14 AM
vtpkrat2
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Rust is rust whether on a van or a car or truck.The 100% proper, long lived way is probably change the entire roof panel taken from a donor rig.If this is a van you are working on ,that option is not very practical. So a fella' needs to cut out the section of rusted area,check to see if you got it all(which you won't first time),cut out a bit more here a little more there until the rusted metal is cutaway. Where it joins in the gutter area is another issue as that will be a pain to cut out & replace. By replacing I mean welding in new metal where ever rust was cut away. Pop riveting and fiberglassing or Bondo will give you a a repair that will last for a while,it depends on the quality of the prep work. Also plastic fillers (Bondos) will last the life of a vehicle if applied properly. You have a tough spot there. Good luck. Gary

Old 07-20-2015, 07:47 AM
4x4slik
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a couple of suggestions. The first and probably the best option is to find another van roof. I think if you get into the gutter areas more, you will find that the internal structure is rusted also. If it is a window van, I would try to find one exactly the same, cut down the door pillars and weld on a whole new roof section.

The other option is to find a van and cut out bad sections and put in new metal. The only place you will find the curves and inner structure is from another van. The good news is, the vans didn't change body styles till the early 90's.

Do an search in this section, there are several really good posts on roof repair of the trucks, including pictures of the many parts that intersect there at the rain gutter. This will give you an idea of whats in there and some ideas of how to proceed.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Unless you have some sentimental attachment to this van I would think long and hard about undertaking this project .. Here's just an example of what's out there to be had ..

Old 07-20-2015, 11:11 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4slik
I have a couple of suggestions. The first and probably the best option is to find another van roof. I think if you get into the gutter areas more, you will find that the internal structure is rusted also. If it is a window van, I would try to find one exactly the same, cut down the door pillars and weld on a whole new roof section.
2X with slik.

I'm gonna have to do the same with my '70 F100 and break out the recip saw.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:52 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
Originally Posted by redroad
Unless you have some sentimental attachment to this van I would think long and hard about undertaking this project .. Here's just an example of what's out there to be had ..

My attachment is that this is a 78 Quadravan with almost everything upgraded or replaced including a new trans with a shift kit, new transfer case, new front bearings, valve job, new performer intake, 650 thunder series carb, new radiator and hoses, new water pump, new starter, new alternator, new belts, new muffler and pipe, new distributor, brand new
BFG 33" AT's, new Redhead steering gear, all new rear brake components, new coil........the list goes on and on.

The rig runs awesome now and the only rust on the whole damn thing is on the roof. Ive always wanted a 4x4 van and you rarely see them down here. Ive been looking into van toppers and need to find out how much meat you need for them to be mounted solidly and if they cover the gutters. If I can get in there with some Ospho or Por 15 and stop the cancer then seal it up with a cap on the top that might be a good fix.

I spent hours researching last night and unfortunately this was one of the worst cases of roof rot Ive found on a van so far. Im really depressed about this but crying in my beer isn't going to help the situation.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:01 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by voodoolord
My attachment is that this is a 78 Quadravan with almost everything upgraded or replaced including a new trans with a shift kit, new transfer case, new front bearings, valve job, new performer intake, 650 thunder series carb, new radiator and hoses, new water pump, new starter, new alternator, new belts, new muffler and pipe, new distributor, brand new
BFG 33" AT's, new Redhead steering gear, all new rear brake components, new coil........the list goes on and on.

The rig runs awesome now and the only rust on the whole damn thing is on the roof. Ive always wanted a 4x4 van and you rarely see them down here. Ive been looking into van toppers and need to find out how much meat you need for them to be mounted solidly and if they cover the gutters. If I can get in there with some Ospho or Por 15 and stop the cancer then seal it up with a cap on the top that might be a good fix.

I spent hours researching last night and unfortunately this was one of the worst cases of roof rot Ive found on a van so far. Im really depressed about this but crying in my beer isn't going to help the situation.
I see now why you want to keep it If I remember correctly the body can be unbolted though because I have seen the rolling chassis for sale .. I would go look for a donor Van with a good body in that case I think you would be further ahead ..

I think it would be easier to sheet metal over windows you didn't want then patch the roof ..

It says it's a 1990 but I think that's a misprint $600 in North portland .. https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5129370066.html

Old 07-20-2015, 03:52 PM
4x4slik
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It very well could be a 90. Think the body style change was in 93.

update: Wikipedia says third gen was from 1975-1991.

Last edited by 4x4slik; 07-20-2015 at 03:54 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-20-2015, 04:10 PM
vtpkrat2
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
As I am not aware of your wallet or capabilities I have suggested a couple of options to repair in my previous response. The absolute most long lived repair is what a couple of us have mentioned and that is a donor roof. And yes as 4x4slik says ,a man would cut down a bit into the post. There are proper ways of cutting and rewelding when you do a "clip" but it is a good repair but pretty involved for someone that is not cut and weld inclined. I have "clipped" totaled vehicles by using 2 or even 3 donor vehicles a zillion times over the years and by using proper techniques they are at times stronger than the factory where you join them together. Takes time and a bit of common sense but ,again, a good permanent repair. Gary

Quick Reply: Need some roof rebuilding and rust advice.