2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Any updates what gas engine will they put in the 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 AM
KellyfromVA
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be interesting to see over time how effective that method is, considering as engines age, more combustion products end up in the crankcase. It seems to me that eventually the crankcase byproducts would be high enough that just washing the valves when cold, wouldn't be enough to keep up. Bring on the walnuts!!

Old 08-23-2015, 11:46 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Latest rumor I am hearing is no Ecoboost for the 2017 Super Duty and the 6.2L will likely continue with no changes. We will see if that is true soon.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:51 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Well, GM is still peddling the old 6.0L with no power increases, so Ford is good there...but RAM is offering the 392 Hemi since last year with the "most" gas horsepower despite poor performance up the Ike Gauntlet. Ford should bump up to 400bhp / 450lb ft.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:22 AM
MadWolf
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
Latest rumor I am hearing is no Ecoboost for the 2017 Super Duty and the 6.2L will likely continue with no changes. We will see if that is true soon.
With the new aluminum sections, It will be 5-700 lbs lighter. So, even if they didn't make changes to the engine line up, they would all perform better.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:33 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MadWolf
With the new aluminum sections, It will be 5-700 lbs lighter. So, even if they didn't make changes to the engine line up, they would all perform better.
Unleaden yes, but Ford is keeping GVWR the same which provides more payload than before. So theoretically, fully loaded, the same engine would be moving the same amount of weight.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Well, GM is still peddling the old 6.0L with no power increases, so Ford is good there...but RAM is offering the 392 Hemi since last year with the "most" gas horsepower despite poor performance up the Ike Gauntlet. Ford should bump up to 400bhp / 450lb ft.
I actually saw one of those coming home from work yesterday and was shocked to see a badge that said 6.4 liter Hemi. They've really stepped their game up. Ford should too...

I really feel like there's more power in the 6.2 than Ford is letting on.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:21 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I really feel like there's more power in the 6.2 than Ford is letting on.
5 Star Tuning found 30HP on the dyno with the 6.2L. That's a lot for a gasser, and Ford can still mess with the cam. Not bad for old-school base engine architecture, definitely a solid base fleet motor.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:45 AM
troverman
Hotshot
5 star tuning just simply found the roughly 30hp that Ford detuned out of the SD. Keep in mind the Raptor and F-150 had 411bhp/434lb-ft stock. The only reason Ford removed that extra power and torque was to protect the, at the time, 390bp 6.7L diesel. Despite having a lot of torque, customers don't like paying a big premium for an engine with "less" horsepower than the base gas engine.

But this engine has the potential to make much more horsepower. Ford built the elusive "Raptor XT" in 2009 which produced 500bhp and had no power adders such as turbos or supercharger. Forced aspiration models, such as the 600HP "Velociraptor" or the Roush model with up to 700HP.

The 6.2L has a very solid foundation to produce much more power and torque should Ford choose to upgrade it. Ford could easily add 4V heads, and then adopt the Ti-VCT from the Mustang / F-150 instead of the De-VCT which the engine has now. The engine was designed for direct injection from the start - with the bosses for the injectors already in place. Even in 2V form, more aggressive cams would bring more power. The 2V design allows for very large valves, which are splayed to allow them to fit. Roller rockers reduce friction, and of course, there are dual spark plugs - mainly to accomplish full combustion, due to the splayed valve design, but there are other minor advantages to the dual plug setup.

The biggest drawback of the 6.2L is fuel consumption. DI would help slightly, but in reality this engine is going to burn gas. With much stricter EPA regs in place - such as the 2019 mandate for even "HD" trucks to be rated - I think Ford's priority will be MPG followed by power.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:39 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
This is the same disappointing news that I heard as well. I was so hoping for at least the 5.0 as a option and had my fingers crossed for maybe an eco-boost something.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
5 Star Tuning found 30HP on the dyno with the 6.2L. That's a lot for a gasser, and Ford can still mess with the cam. Not bad for old-school base engine architecture, definitely a solid base fleet motor.
Is that on their 87 or 93 tune?

Old 08-31-2015, 07:25 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
This is the same disappointing news that I heard as well. I was so hoping for at least the 5.0 as a option and had my fingers crossed for maybe an eco-boost something.
The 5.0L is a great engine, but I don't think it'd be well suited in the Super Duty. That engine is all-aluminum and designed to rev. You have to remember that Super Duty trucks spend hours idling, and rack up huge mileages. The current detuned 6.2L with an iron block does fine at this, and still makes very respectable power. This engine did well in the mountain climbing tests compared to the other gas engines.

The Eco Boost is an interesting proposition - but I much prefer the CGI block of the 2.7L than the aluminum 3.5L. The current Navigator tune - 380bhp and 460lb-ft - would make for a nice setup. Really, though, 400bhp and 500lb-ft would be excellent.

My preference, however, would be to simply give the 6.2L direct injection, and bump the power level to 400/450. I really like a big-displacement gas V8 option in a truck.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:49 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The 6.2 is pretty good the way it is. At some point more power isn't better than making a tank of a motor that does the job well and goes forever. The transmission will still be the bigger factor to watch for here, and if you want to mess with the motor, there is plenty of room to breath heavier on the 6.2.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:33 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Since the 6.2L and 6.7L share essentially the same trans, there is a LOT of room to juice up the 6.2L without worrying about the trans.

I'd be very surprised to see the 10-speed on the new Super Duty. It's a joint GM-Ford venture. Ford uses the same trans, gas or diesel. GM uses the Allison on their diesel. So either this will be a "gas-only" trans for both Ford and GM, or GM will stop using the Allison on their diesels (which has been a big marketing point for them). Thus, I suspect the 10-speed will be on the 1/2 tons only.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:53 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ford told us to expect a new transmission for gas SuperDuty. Not sure if it will come with the 2017 or not. Yes, the current trans is more than robust enough, but the added gears will allow better start-ability and grad-ability for the gas models. Believe it or not, the $8k tag of diesel isn't pure profit. Ford would be more than happy to take up market share of the gas models, which make up a bigger portion for the 250/350 line. Ford likes gas, look at the v10 they use all the way up through the medium trucks.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:30 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Where did you find information stating there would be a new transmission for the next-gen SD? I know the 10-speed has been confirmed for the Raptor.

Actually, the current 6R140 trans has a very low first gear. The advantage to more gears would simply be a greater ratio spread throughout, which as you say is advantageous to mpg and going uphill. It is true more gears could allow for an even lower 1st gear, but I don't think it would be needed.

I know the now $8400 for the 6.7L is not all profit, but based upon the amount of marketing for diesel vs. gas (I basically never see the gas advertised), it seems Ford wants you to buy a diesel...which makes me think they make more profit on it vs. the gas. Ford has also hobbled the current gas engine output, in my opinion, to force customers to buy the diesel.

Quick Reply: Any updates what gas engine will they put in the 2017?