1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

It never fails

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 04:29 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
It never fails

I try to drive the F-2 whenever I get a chance. Night before last my wife wanted to look at furniture and while talking to the sales lady she asked if the F-2 was my truck and how she really liked it. That was cool.

But what really gets me is it seems like more time than not when I decide not to drive the F-2 that's when I run across another old truck on the road. It's always fun to give the wave and nod to another old truck guy. Yesterday it was a '56 F-100, today it was a Model T puttering down the road. I guess I'll just have to make a point of it to drive the F-2 more often, I'll just have to make the sacrifice for the hobby.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:48 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
It is the burden of our calling.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Funny you say that! It seems every time I'm driving my 56 I always see old Chevys or fords we wave sometimes we stop and chat!!!

Old 07-19-2015, 11:35 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I know how you feel Bob, but for some reason when they are parked I'm always to embarrassed to tell the guy nice truck I have one too, so I just give the nod or say nice. I feel like I an outsider when I'm driving the Camry, OOP's I mean the other car.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:52 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Every time I see an old truck on the road I want to drive up and have a chat about it or at least another look. Thing is, I'm usually driving my wife's car, and driving up to someone's truck in a bright yellow beetle with eyelashes with a male driving it is gonna scare the hell out of anyone.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:30 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
And then my use of a 1923 Ford. I really like my F350 with all its bells, but on a
good day and maybe down hill I figure around 4 miles a gallon. I open its hood and
nothing makes sense in there motors covered with space junk. So my trusty 90 yr
old dont have heat ac radio no nothing but I can run it all week on about 5 gals. and
I open its hood and can actually see an engine. So I'm stickin to it...

Old 07-20-2015, 08:47 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Any reason not to drive it? I drive the 47 caddy everywhere, too much fun to cruise in a classic.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:35 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
But then, how often does it happen when the guy you meet in the similar classic turns out to be a total dink? Back in the day when I was much younger in my old '50 F1, I was at the parts store and a guy in a similar truck pulls next to me. We exchange pleasantries and start looking over each others trucks. I'll admit as a 17 year old kid, my truck wasn't much to go crazy over, but it was clean, had bucket seats nicely installed, automatic Mustang floor shifter for the C4, clean, bare floors but nice and solid, but I built it all myself. Then the guy starts ripping my truck apart telling me how much better his was because he had ratty **** carpet and an Indian blanket seat cover over his rotted stock bench. I felt like punching him in the teeth by the time we were done.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:56 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I didn't want to harsh the mellow, Wayne, but often as not that has been my experience.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:25 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I didn't want to harsh the mellow, Wayne, but often as not that has been my experience.
Yeah, me too.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:50 PM
91Fbody
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
But then, how often does it happen when the guy you meet in the similar classic turns out to be a total dink? Back in the day when I was much younger in my old '50 F1, I was at the parts store and a guy in a similar truck pulls next to me. We exchange pleasantries and start looking over each others trucks. I'll admit as a 17 year old kid, my truck wasn't much to go crazy over, but it was clean, had bucket seats nicely installed, automatic Mustang floor shifter for the C4, clean, bare floors but nice and solid, but I built it all myself. Then the guy starts ripping my truck apart telling me how much better his was because he had ratty **** carpet and an Indian blanket seat cover over his rotted stock bench. I felt like punching him in the teeth by the time we were done.
I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, but I would have been hard pressed not to follow through with my impulses. Hate "people" like that...

Old 07-20-2015, 09:29 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ran into a guy at the gas station Sat., he said I don't usually comment on any ones vehicle but your truck looks great. So, just had the good not the bad.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:45 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,824 Likes on 1,831 Posts
Nothing worse than telling someone "nice truck" and they give you the reply
"I know"

I usually answer "too bad the owners a dick" and walk away

I usually have pretty positive reactions to my truck, which always surprises me because its by no means easy on the eyes.

Drive it more Bob, make the sacrifice for the team

Bobby

Old 07-21-2015, 07:51 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
I've only had positive experiences. Most recently, with a couple of high mileage gents. At least one got a misty look in the eyes recalling the joy of his youth bombing around in an old Ford. Even with his hearing aids, he still cocked his head to listen for the distinctive flatty sound. Doesn't get any better. Should a blowhard come my way, he will not create a memory anywhere as lasting as all the grateful types happy to see the old iron still on the road.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:57 AM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Nothing worse than telling someone "nice truck" and they give you the reply
"I know"

I usually answer "too bad the owners a dick" and walk away

I usually have pretty positive reactions to my truck, which always surprises me because its by no means easy on the eyes.

Drive it more Bob, make the sacrifice for the team

Bobby
I am liking what Bobby is saying here. I have had enough of those kind of folks. I quit entering car shows because of their attitudes. One time in a show around here a guy with a beautiful Tri 5 Chevy won the top trophy. He was walking by me and my truck, carrying his big trophy, and I congratulated him. He just kind of blew me off, kept walking, and said...." I always win. He kind of got his in the end though. Folks was watching him load up his car on his trailer and then someone yelled. "Enjoy driving your award winning Trailer Car home". That got lots of laughs. But on the positive side every now and then people will come up to me in a parking lot and want to talk about the truck. Most of the time they aren't car people even. I think when that happens, that's better than any than being in any car show.

Quick Reply: It never fails