Questions for Coyote Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:52 AM
IABill
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Questions for Coyote Gurus

Kid just picked up a 2014 F-150 S-crew 4x4 18K on the clock with the 5.0
Oil life said needed to be changed went with full syn 5w20 I am now wondering if the syn is overkill with the oil life monitor system and the small size of the filter (500-S) makes me question the syn thing even more.
So question is synthetic a waste of money in these engines?

Also anybody thought of an oil filter re-locate kit or is there one already out there?

Old 07-20-2015, 03:15 PM
IABill
More Turbo
Question

70 views and nothing?

Old 07-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Scum Frg
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The OLM is programmed read your driving algorithms and deduct the oil life based on your driving habits, outside temperature, towing, etc, etc and does not know if you are using Conventional, Semi-Syn or Full-Syn oil.

As per norm, the manufacturer will go with the lowest common denominator and the OLM is programed with the assumption of conventional oil, even though Ford/Motorcraft Semi-Syn 5W20 is factory fill and is the standard when getting OC's at a Ford dealership ( It is up here anyway, could vary from region to region).

Your question: So question is synthetic a waste of money in these engines?

It all depends on what level of protection you are looking for. Sure you can run a conventional oil, but will it hold up to 10-12000 Miles? Only one way to know for sure and that is to get a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) done.
If you live in areas of extreme cold or heat, again this is another consideration to make when picking out an oil. Especially in Cold weather Full-Syn will flow the best at start up down to Conventional which is very poor at cold flow. Check out youtube videos to see what I am talking about.

At minimum I would use a Semi-Syn, and Motorcraft 5W20 is a great semi-syn oil.
Personally, due to where I live ( Ontario), driving habits and wanting the best protection for my investment I use a full-syn oil. Shop the sales and you will get full-syn oil at near conventional oil prices.

A great internet resource for all things engine oil, check out "Bob Is the Oil Guy" - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

Old 07-27-2015, 08:02 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
At minimum Semi-Syn, but I recommend full synth. These engines run very very hot to make them more efficient than the engines of old. At the same time they run thin oil through very tiny holes. making it crucial for the oil to maintain viscosity throughout the range. 7500-10K average change.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 PM
IABill
More Turbo
Wink

Thanks guys, The kid did go with full synthetic.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:57 PM
eriebasin
Senior User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Although I'm no guru; I use full synthetic. Royal Purple brand. Also, the oil life monitor assumes you're using a synthetic blend oil; as, that's what's required per the book.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Scum Frg
Junior User
Originally Posted by eriebasin
Although I'm no guru; I use full synthetic. Royal Purple brand. Also, the oil life monitor assumes you're using a synthetic blend oil; as, that's what's required per the book.
What is interesting is the spec that Ford requires are met by many conventional oils.

Ford WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20) 3.7,5.0 & 6.2
Ford WSS-M2C946-A (SAE 5W-30) 3.5 EB

I use a full syn - Pennzoil Platinum in my 5.0, but I still think the OLM is based on the lowest common denominator being conventional oil. I do agree that factory fill and service fill @ a Ford delarer will be Motorcraft Semi-Syn.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:08 AM
wireflight
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dealer Oil

In 1989, I bought the third SHO sold in MS (1FABP54Y9KA195116), which I traded with around 44k on the clock. Very shortly after I bought the car, I searched for the recommended 5W30 oil.

Auto Zone didn't have it, and didn't know where I could get it or even if it existed. NAPA didn't have it, and didn't know where I could get it or even if it existed. Car Quest, O'Reilly's, Sam's Club, Wal-Mart -- everywhere I went that sold oil (I'm leaving out countless others) -- didn't have it, and didn't know where I could get it or even if it existed.

I thought to myself, "Oh, jeez! Ford has be by the family jewels on this, and they're gonna squeeze," but I knew that I would soon need that oil to keep my vehicle serviced per the OEM's recommendations. I went to the dealer from which I had bought the car, and was directed to the parts department.

I spent all day waiting on a case of that oil; the agent behind the counter pointed to a case of Quaker State 10W40 on the counter.

I said that would never go into my car for two important reasons: (1) QS is notoriously ashy and causes a buildup of sludge in the oil pan and in the other places that oil can puddle (heads, valley); but even ignoring all that, (2) it was the wrong grade of oil!

The agent behind the counter didn't know what I meant when I referred to the grade of the oil, so I explained -- pointing out the 10W40 marks and indicating that what I needed is the 5W30 that the manual required.

The agent behind the counter left for a moment and consulted briefly with the service manager, who then approached. According to the service manager, the dealership only carried one grade and brand of oil, and if I brought my vehicle in to be serviced, that's what the dealership would put in it. He then said there was nothing wrong with the QS oil and that the dealership had been using it at least as long as he had been with the company.

I drove away. About 150 miles before my first oil change was due, I found full-synthetic 5W30 at Auto Zone, and that's what I put in my car.

I have countless other first-hand and second-hand anecdotes that prove the point, but they're not relevant to this particular thread: (at least in Mississippi) NEVER allow a Ford dealer's parts, service or repair department the opportunity to touch your vehicle.

If you do, and if you're lucky, all they will destroy is your vehicle.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Stay with the synthetic. It's not uncommon for the operating temp to be 250* and oil temps to exceed 300*.