1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

tunes man... I need some tunes...soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 07:54 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
tunes man... I need some tunes...soon

not there yet but thinking ahead.... wondering what's being used in 53-56 trucks for a sound system... don't need 1200 watts with double woofers... just some comfortably strong sound... with CD/DVD . Probably looking for a remote with head unit in panel under dash... educate me on options..

thanks
john

Old 07-19-2015, 08:21 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I dont want to carry CDs anymore so I bought one of these.

JVC KD-X220 (does not play CDs) Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com

I plan on just using a memory stick for MP3s.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:45 AM
PHXHawk
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tunes Answer

Go to the Crutchfield website for selection and information on the various types and brands available to you. Even if you don't buy from them, you will learn all you need to know. They are great to deal with, too.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:02 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Since I was told my orginal style radio for my '49 F1 isn't repairable, I'm planning on using an Alpine (I've been using Alpine Head units since the 80's) that has USB, 3.5 jack plug, sirius radio, and hand free phone so I'm looking at UTE-52BT

Old 07-19-2015, 12:06 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Just fyi I just bought a jvc could not get am on it went back and traded out for a pioneer can get some am on it. I don't listen much to am but would like it to pick up some. Most of the time it will be on siriusxm. The people that mostly buy the after market are not after am so that is just the way it is.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
I dont want to carry CDs anymore so I bought one of these.

JVC KD-X220 (does not play CDs) Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com

I plan on just using a memory stick for MP3s.
I have a similar Pioneer unit. Every song I've ever had on one flash drive. Never skips or has problems with CDs that get too hot in the sun. Bluetooth, XM, Sirius, you name it. Very compact, too. $120 at WallyWorld.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:07 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
I don't hardly ever listen to the radio anymore (if you could here some of our local DJ's you'd understand). I do occasionally like AM when I trying to pick up a game or some such nonsense. As mentioned I'd look for something that would have both a USB port and an input jack so that you could either plug in a memory stick and/or an MP3 player.

I'm not sure what I'll do in my 49. I don't like the look of a modern radio in an old vehicle so whatever I end up doing will be hidden (inside glove box, under seat, in console, etc). Right now I don't have to worry, the old truck is so noisy that I can't hardly hear my MP3 while wearing headphones.....lol

Bobby

Old 07-19-2015, 04:05 PM
fordf5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a phone with Bluetooth capability,, Check out the Bose Soundlink Mini.
Awesome sound and totally portable.
Roger

Old 07-19-2015, 04:24 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Here's my cheapie solution. I have Pandora on my phone and use a USB powered speaker system. I listen to the music I like.

My truck is stock 6 volt, positive ground so I rigged up a power port using a dual cigarette type receptacles. It works decent but with my noisy truck it can be hard to hear. I also need to get a better speaker system. I saw a couple at the Verizon store that sound really loud and great sound but I'm still too cheap to cough up $200+ for one, for now I'll have to settle for my crappie $20 unit.

I personally like the suggestions offered already but I don't want to install a modern system in my truck.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

My plan is to install it behind the OEM speaker grill and either hinge the grill or make it removable... also with the radio remote being able to change things as I go...

Old 07-19-2015, 10:19 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fordf5
If you have a phone with Bluetooth capability,, Check out the Bose Soundlink Mini.
Awesome sound and totally portable.
Roger
The Bose Mini is great! And you can do Pandora on your phone and make your own station with any music you want. And you can just take it inside when not driving and avoid theft and use it in your shop. The sound that little speaker puts out is incredible.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If you don't want a head unit you can always run a cable from the phone headphone jack to the an amplifier with speakers. I plan on doing this on my 47 caddy and run the cable up under the seat cushion. just have to use a charge cable as well if needed.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:21 AM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
My truck was missing its radio when I got it. I found the carcass of one on Ebay. Got it pretty cheap, stripped out what was left on the chassis and mounted a small Ipod amp on it. Above it I mounted a dual stereo speaker. I was able to clean up the chrome on the face pretty good, I use the original on/off **** for power, the dial light lights up and it powers my Ipod in the glove box. There is one **** under the dash that I use for volume. It worked well too the last time I used the truck for any distance. Currently the truck is under going a restoration bit by bit.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by dennisb56
My truck was missing its radio when I got it. I found the carcass of one on Ebay. Got it pretty cheap, stripped out what was left on the chassis and mounted a small Ipod amp on it. Above it I mounted a dual stereo speaker. I was able to clean up the chrome on the face pretty good, I use the original on/off **** for power, the dial light lights up and it powers my Ipod in the glove box. There is one **** under the dash that I use for volume. It worked well too the last time I used the truck for any distance. Currently the truck is under going a restoration bit by bit.
Any pics of what and how you did it?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:13 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Moe,
I'll have to look to see if I took any pictures and if I have any info on what I used its been 3 years. I heading to Austin tomorrow so it will be the end of the week before I can look for info.

Quick Reply: tunes man... I need some tunes...soon