1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 FORD COE C600 BUILD

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 07:05 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My vision for the truck is a Car haul body, 5-6" dual exhaust stacks, and 22.5 semi truck wheels.

With the econoline cutaway chassis being 42" wide I am having problems with clearance for the 22.5 wheels.

Here is the space I have ....

Here is the space you get with a standard 34" f350 cab chassis.

I am going to have to measure some axles and see if I can find a Dana 80 that is wide enough to give me the space I need to get the 22.5 wheels on.

I know that some of the Dodge DRW pickup chassis has a 42" wide chassis, but not sure of the width.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:55 AM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Tom:
Welcome to the heartburn club. I've been wrangling with the wheel dilemma myself. I shortened the wheelbase to 130", and am planning on a 9' bed. I mocked up a 10' bed, but it looks too long, and an 8' bed is too short.
The wheels have to fill the opening to look proportionate, so I need to finish the mockup and mount all the fenders so I can measure the clearance. Maybe 19.5" wheels will work? Slowly but surely!

Looks like you are making great progress with the drivetrain. Not a simple task!

Attached Images  

Last edited by Badmoonreizen; 12-06-2015 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Insert pic
Old 12-07-2015, 09:09 AM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ive yet to get a tape measure on anything, but I've been eyeing the E-550 trucks. Their front axle is obviously wider - maybe too wide. There aren't many running around, but might be a solution?

Old 12-07-2015, 10:07 PM
BigC750
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigC750

I am working on a 1956 C750 on a 2002 E450 frame with 7.3.
I welded my cab mounts to frame Just in front of front spring hangers
I am concerned about angle of steering shaft.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:00 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by vintage56
Ive yet to get a tape measure on anything, but I've been eyeing the E-550 trucks. Their front axle is obviously wider - maybe too wide. There aren't many running around, but might be a solution?

Well I have been doing some thinking and research on how I need to overcome the narrow rear axle my E350 has. It turns out that the E450 has a wider rear axle. We just happen to have a E450 come into the shop a few weeks ago. I confirmed the axle is wider in the E450 visually and via the Fleet Ford Body Builder books.

The hunt was on. I was in search of a E450 rear axle. 1999 plus. I figure that if I have to change the rear axle to the E450 width, I might as well upgrade to disc brakes while I am at it.

I searched around a few salvage yards and found prices ranging from $800.00 to $1500 for the axle.

The E350 didn't cost me that much.

So.... I decided to look for an E450 to purchase.

After very little looking.... I stumbled upon this.

2001 E450 7.3 powerstroke turbo diesel.

So I bought it.... Not running of course. Had it towed to my buddies house. I was told the van was last driven 3 years ago before it was taken out of service.

We put two good batteries into it... two jump boxes... and twisted the key.... Nada....

Grabbed a pipe... and wrapped on the starter a few times.... She gave in and started cranking....

A few seconds later... the wires to the starter started smoking....

climbed under the van and found the terminals to the starter were loose. I removed the starter and found the terminals where the wires connect to the starter were also loose. We tightened the terminals... reinstalled the starter... twisted the ignition.... NADA

So I figured it was time to steal the starter from the other chassis. Got up today.... gather some tools.... Look at the starter... its different... DAMMIT.....

Said F it.... Went off to AutoZone and purchased a new starter.

Brought the starter to the garage.... installed it... hooked up the battery array...

Crossed my fingers... twisted the ignition.....

struggle, cranks... struggles... cranks... adjusted booster cables... retried... struggles.... cranks... sputters over.... dies.....

tried again... struggles... cranks... VRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM

PURS like a kitten....

We let it run for an hour or so.... no issues.

put a plate on it... took it for a drive around the block. Everything shifted good. no overheating...

The 2001 E450 is a 7.3 powerstroke turbo diesel with dual alternators, 4r100, hydra boost brakes, a/c, disc brake rear axle, 55 gallon fuel tank and a Wheel base of 158".

The 1998 E350 is a 7.3 powerstroke turbo diesel with single alternator, e40d (blown), power brakes, no a/c, drum rear axle, 35 gallon fuel tank,
and a wheel base of 176"

The plan is to use the driveline and wiring from this Chassis on my existing chassis.

I am thinking that I need the 176" wb for the car haul body configuration to work out correctly.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:53 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

My search for a pair of 255/70/22.5 tires finally ended. I picked up a nice pair of tires on rims. Now I can get the chassis to ride height, check clearance, chock to chock, and start fabbing up the mounting points for the cab.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
C600

Looking great- You are getting ahead of me, and I'm feeling competitive.

The wheels look totally proportionate to the fenders and fill the wheel wells beautifully.

Congratulations!!

Regards, Mark.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:26 PM
vintage56
Elder User
On the edge of my seat to see how these mate up.
To clarify, you're mounting those to the existing front hubs?
JML

Old 04-15-2016, 07:22 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

So I broke out the table saw and made a round disc out of plywood to I could check fitment of the 22.5 wheels. Jacked up the truck so the hubs were at 18.5 inches off the ground so the 22.5 wheel was just contacting the ground while the suspension was supported by jack stands.

Then I positioned the wheel over my plywood hub adapter.

First, I can see that I will have plenty of clearance for the rotating mass.

Next I rotated the wheels both directions to check for rubbing.

The only place the tire rubs is against the sway bar. But a small spacer to limit the steering will solve that. Although the actual steel spacer may give me better clearance.

It looks like I will need to lower the cab about six inches to get the desired look I am going for. But that's another day's project.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Jules The Great
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can tell you are from the east coast and had flash backs seeing all that awful flaking rust!

Nice Progress and I like that you are doing it right with 22.5 wheels. I think most people who do COEs do not have wheels big enough to fill the wheel wells.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:53 AM
vintage56
Elder User
Agreed!
COEs over 16-1/2" wheels just makes me a little sad inside.
I breathed a sigh of relief to see your big'uns get the pass!

Old 04-17-2016, 06:11 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

So today I started lowering the cab. I was able to get it down 4" from the starting point. I still have to get 2 more inches out of it but the 4" was a feat.

The front cab mounts and support arms were removed first.

Then in order to get the cab back to center he wheels I needed to do a little lightening.

New body mounts. And the shortened horns.

In order to get the next 2" I will need to cut the rear cab extension. As u can see I am maxed out.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:30 PM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Tom:

Keep documenting your lowering process, I have a feeling I may be next, as soon as I solve my pulley problem.

Regards, Mark.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:32 PM
Jules The Great
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking good!

Did you already scrap the F250 frame? If not you may consider selling just the hubs and brakes with backing plates? I know when I got my F250 it had been converted to and F100 but some other people may also want to go Back to F250?

If not some hot rodders use the F250 backing plates for something else...

Old 04-17-2016, 07:35 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Jules The Great
Looking good!

Did you already scrap the F250 frame? If not you may consider selling just the hubs and brakes with backing plates? I know when I got my F250 it had been converted to and F100 but some other people may also want to go Back to F250?

If not some hot rodders use the F250 backing plates for something else...
Thanks.

The F-250 frame went to the scrapper last fall. But the rear axle ended up going to a jeep project. Apparently they are popular for the jeep guys.

Quick Reply: 1956 FORD COE C600 BUILD