5 speed junked,what now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 10:30 AM
jayrus
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 speed junked,what now?

Hey guys,finally got everything finished on my truck and was headed to the beach on the 4th when uh oh.Downshifting coming up to a stop sounded like the gears were grinding,so I put it in neutral and came to a stop.Took off in first,no problems.Second,no problems.Went to hit third and shifts in but makes a grinding noise.Release the clutch,hit the gas,nothing.Clutch in hit fourth everything fine.Go for 5th same as 3rd.Shifter was in the "gate",but nothing there just makes a very light grinding.I am figuring I finally lunched the pos Mazda 5 speed.Now for my options.Option 1:I found a used Mazda 5 speed for $200 with a 45 day warranty.Option 2:I can rebuild my 5 speed(probably cost more than $200).Option 3:I can swap in a different tranny.Here is where I need help.Is there any other trans I can go with that will bolt up to my i6 without modification?Is there a way to strengthen my existing 5 speed so I won't have to worry about it going south again?By the way I have an 88 full size Bronco,i6,32" tires.I want to use the truck for off roading so I am going to need a decent tranny.I don't care if it is a 4 speed or a 5 speed as long as it is a standard.Any help is greatly appreciated and I want to get this done asap as I am on vacation this week.Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Old 07-25-2003, 10:46 PM
jayrus
Freshman User
5 speed junked,what now?

Lets see if anyone replies to this one.I found a guy who has an 88 F150 custom with a 4 speed 4x4.He said it has a hydraulic clutch.I didn't think they came with a hydraulic clutch.I am getting the trans and transfer case for $200.Any ideas what type of tranny this is?Any problems I am going to run into during the swap?He is only going to remove the gas tank and wheels and the rest of the truck I can pick apart before it goes to the junkyard.Anybody need anything from the rest of it.I am going to look at it on Saturday and I will get more info then.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:29 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 speed junked,what now?

It is probably a np435. It will not break. The only dis-advantage is no overdrive. You just gave me one more reason not to buy a Madza 5 speed.

Old 07-26-2003, 12:38 AM
jayrus
Freshman User
5 speed junked,what now?

I am not really concerned about the no overdrive because I am going to use it mainly offroad.My understanding is that it has "granny" low and I would not be using it except under severe conditions.

Old 07-26-2003, 10:42 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
5 speed junked,what now?

A better replacement would be the ZF 5 speed transmission. It'll bolt right in place of the mazda. It has granny low (great for off road) and OD for those occasional highway trips. It's rated for 420ft lbs of torque from the motor and is pretty much bullet proof. It was used in the F-250s and F-350s if not higher. They had two versions, one for a diesel and one for a gas. You need the gas version of coarse. I am going to do this swap once my mazda craps the bed. I need the granny low for a better crawl ratio. Even in low range this thing still goes like 3-4 mph.

Old 07-26-2003, 03:12 PM
jrs_big_ford_f150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 speed junked,what now?

I agree with Justin. A ZF tranny is dang near bullet proof. Whenever my M5OD keels over I will put in a ZF in its place.

Old 07-27-2003, 10:24 AM
jayrus
Freshman User
5 speed junked,what now?

I looked into the zf but wasn't able to track down a reasonably priced used one.Every one I found was going for over $1000 used.I thought the deal on the 4 speed was too good to pass up.I am getting the tranny,transfercase,clutchmaster,hydro line,and the pedals for $200.The only other question I have is on the clutch.The replacement trans is off a 5.0 and I have the 4.9.The parts place said the clutches were different.Is there a clutch I can get that will work?Do I need to get the flywheel off the 5.0?I am trying to get this done asap.Thanks for the input.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:37 PM
92-2toneFord
New User
5 speed junked,what now?

pardon my lack of experience (i'm new to trans. on Ford trucks..)
but will a ZF 5 speed work in 2wd, or are they 4X4 only?
i got the mazda (junko) tranny in mine and it's fadin' fast...
whats kind of a good price for a decent used ZF, BTW?

Old 07-29-2003, 06:29 PM
brokebronco
Posting Guru
5 speed junked,what now?

The flywheels have a different balance, I6 is neutral and the 5.0 is an imbalance. The clutch should be the same. If the flywheel is drilled for bothe the 10" and 11" clutch go with the 11".

Old 07-29-2003, 08:28 PM
jayrus
Freshman User
5 speed junked,what now?

3 more quick questions.Can I use the 5.0 bellhousing on the 4.9?Also does the np 4 speed have the same splines on the input shaft as the Mazda?Last question promise.The transfer case on the np has a slip yoke and my Mazda has a bolt on yoke.Can I use my transfer case with the np?Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-30-2003, 09:26 AM
cbx
New User
5 speed junked,what now?

check your local junk yards...........EVERYBODY around here wanted
$750/$900 for a used/rebuilt trannyfor my 86 Ranger and I found one at WRECKS, INC. for $150 with a 30 day warranty..........have 6000 miles on it now and it feels like a new one........good luck

Old 08-01-2003, 12:05 AM
brokebronco
Posting Guru
5 speed junked,what now?

The 4.9, 5.0 and 5.8 all have the same bell housing bolt pattern. I am unsure about the spline counts on the mazda tranny but if the tcase bolts up it does not matter if the output is a slip yoke or a bolt on. then the only difference is the driveshaft.