Aluminum Camper Build

Old 08-18-2016, 05:40 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Bugzilla46310
When you finish everything, I would be happy to do the QC on it for about a week to ensure everything works as required. I would hate for you to take it out and find a problem. I'm such a good guy, I won't even charge you!!
That is such a kind offer but I would hate if something happened to you so I think we'll risk it ourselves.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:16 PM
Carlene
Admom
Our progress this past weekend doesn't have much to actually show in the camper but we are still pushing forward.

Steve got the two roof vents and the A/C cut in. We used the neighbor's tractor to get the AC unit on the roof. Since the TH donor had 4" roof space and was a central AC unit, Steve had to make some modifications. Our roof space is only 1-1/2".

He used 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" and 1-1/2" x 3" alum tubing, cut the length of where the AC blower stops out of the side of the 3"r's and left the ends open. This should give us 2 open vents to blow air to the front and the back of the camper. I picked up some 1/4" self-sticking foam insulation in the plumbing dept. and lined the entire insides of the 3" tubing. The outsides are just primered right now.

He screwed the tubing to the ceiling and this is how it turned out.

This is another view with one of the crank up roof vents. The other vent is in the bathroom.

I got all of my ceiling foam cut out but haven't put any up yet. We figured it wouldn't hold up there too well with him up on the roof and the packing tape I used on the wall isn't that strong in the first place. We'll put it up as we're putting the ceiling panels up. Speaking of which, I painted some of our ceiling & wall boards this weekend. Eight of them to be exact. Only 16 more to go.

When we were looking for all the AC parts, I put the AC cover on one of my primered boards and it sure looks like crap.

Pop - I saw that post with the link for adding vents to your existing AC Cover. I was hoping that would work for us but as you can see our cover doesn't allow for it. Would have been much easier for our setup.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:27 PM
Carlene
Admom
OK guys, I am such a party animal. Hubby had to do an overnight up in Tennessee for work last night so I had the house to myself.

This is what I spent my time doing............

Now looks like this....... we're only using 2 of the 4 we took out of the donor but I only got a photo of one. The other was on the kitchen table drying.

I also did the AC Cover because the yellowed one would drive me nuts.

Now looks like this.

I used 1-2-3 primer and picked up a quart of my wall/ceiling color but in a high gloss just for the covers and any other yellowed plastic parts I run across that we're going to use.

Much more better.

Hopefully we'll start hanging the ceiling this coming weekend.

That's it for now.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:57 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Simply amazing progress here...

Old 08-25-2016, 05:46 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,398 Likes on 995 Posts
excellent work here.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:08 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Wow Carlene !!!

Amazing ☺

Old 08-27-2016, 09:58 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
You have to be getting close to "maiden voyage" time. How far out is that now?

Old 08-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Freedom1955
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm exhausted just looking at the pictures.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Carlene
Admom
Thanks guys. I hope you're enjoying seeing the progress as much as I am.

Originally Posted by GlueGuy
You have to be getting close to "maiden voyage" time. How far out is that now?
First weekend in October.....

If we have too, as long as we can get the walls, windows & A/C done, we'll throw a mattress in and go. It wouldn't be much different than camping in the pop-up.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:51 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Carlene
Pop - I saw that post with the link for adding vents to your existing AC Cover. I was hoping that would work for us but as you can see our cover doesn't allow for it. Would have been much easier for our setup.
Yup. We just got a new (to us) 26-footer that has your style, ducted, A/C. I, too, can't use that kind of vent in the new one, as it looks very similar to yours (probably identical).

I have noted a "problem" with ducted A/C of which you might wish to keep in mind when choosing your ceiling vents:

The roof unit is in the aft part of the rig, and the bedroom is fore. By the time the ducted A/C gets to the lone vent over the bed, there's virtually nothing coming out of it. I will be replacing the louvered vents in the aft portion of the trailer with louvered, shut-off type vents. These are an inch larger, at 7", than the style for the old trailer's unit, but they are available! That should enable more air to get forward.

Pop

Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 PM
Carlene
Admom
We had a little progress this weekend.

I got all the ceiling foam up. We got 4 of the ceiling panels up too but I didn't get a shot of that yet. That "H" track is a b...tch to work with until you get the swing of it.

I put that 1/4" plumber insulation foam in the 2 spots where the wires cross over the 1" center beam to help with protecting them.

We got the window's cut out. Right now we just have plastic wrap on them, the kind they use at the auto auction when a car's window won't roll up. This stuff is strong.... We have to hang the walls & make a spacer frame inside before we can permanently install the windows since our walls are 1-1/2" and the donor camper's were 2".

Here's a picture of the outside with the window cut out. And yes Chris, we moved the toilet..

That's it for now.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:39 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Looking nice! It looks as if the quality is going to be something to be proud of.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:52 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Very nice build, Carlene...

Old 08-30-2016, 11:30 AM
Carlene
Admom
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Yup. We just got a new (to us) 26-footer that has your style, ducted, A/C. I, too, can't use that kind of vent in the new one, as it looks very similar to yours (probably identical).

I have noted a "problem" with ducted A/C of which you might wish to keep in mind when choosing your ceiling vents:

The roof unit is in the aft part of the rig, and the bedroom is fore. By the time the ducted A/C gets to the lone vent over the bed, there's virtually nothing coming out of it. I will be replacing the louvered vents in the aft portion of the trailer with louvered, shut-off type vents. These are an inch larger, at 7", than the style for the old trailer's unit, but they are available! That should enable more air to get forward.

Pop
We won't have that issue. Our AC unit is in the middle of our small living area and we don't have ducted vents. Not enough room in the ceiling to do it. That and our whole camper is 21.5' tail to tongue.

Steve had to build a box to make the AC fit so it could be tightened down. He cut out the inner section of the 2 sides where the air returns as shown in this photo:

The ends of the 1-1/2 x 3" are open on each side (front & back) which hopefully will force the air to both the front and rear of the camper when we close the down vent.

I sure hope changing the vents to shut-out vents on yours works for you. I know I can't hardly sleep when its hot.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:56 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I don't know why I somehow thought you were ducting the air, but I now realize you have no need for that at all. We have an interior wall that separates the sleeping quarters, but yours doesn't have that problem.

I just have to marvel at you guys taking on this project. You will have something with the utmost build quality and reliability when you're done. Not to mention, you will have the ability to knowledgeably service anything necessary.

Not everybody has the ability to tackle a project of this magnitude, but speaking for those of us that could, we certainly admire your dedication, workmanship, and engineering skills.

Be proud, VERY proud, of this accomplishment!

Pop

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aluminum Camper Build