Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:30 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Pulley Removal - Crankshaft & Water Pump

How do you remove a Crankshaft pulley?

How do you remove a Water Pump pulley?

I don't see why I'd keep all my V-belt pulleys when I have access to a serpentine 351W set up at the local pick-n-pull on a newer truck (1981 F150).

The plan is to change out all my V-belts on my 1972 351W engine to the serpentine set up on the 1981 351W in the local J/Y.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:41 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
The water pump pulley is a slip fit on the pump snout on the flange. Pull it off squarely... perhaps a lil lubricant will help.

As far as the crank pulley, ya gotta use the right tool. Visit your local AZO and rent the tool... it's a puller and installer - or at least it should be.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:00 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The harmonic balancer requires a puller, but if you're just removing the pulley from it, that's a simple matter of take the 4 bolts out and pull it off the front of the balancer, just like the water pump pulley.

The power steering pulley is the only one that should require a special tool for the pulley itself (though breaking the nut loose on an alternator is sometimes non-trivial).

Old 07-16-2015, 01:11 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaul
The harmonic balancer requires a puller, but if you're just removing the pulley from it, that's a simple matter of take the 4 bolts out and pull it off the front of the balancer, just like the water pump pulley.

The power steering pulley is the only one that should require a special tool for the pulley itself (though breaking the nut loose on an alternator is sometimes non-trivial).
My bad... brain fade!
2x on the crank pulley... balancer is a different aminal.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:20 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
It happens to all of us sometimes.

Aaron: if it doesn't just slip off easily once unbolted, it's probably just old and rusted on - hit it with PB Blaster, come back a while later, and try again. Whack the back of it with a hammer or something if necessary.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:21 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
The crank puller/installer I've got sitting in the garage is this one:

But I'm curious if what I need is this one...:

The water pump pulley sounds like it comes off relatively easy. So if I have this correct... the water pump pulley doesn't require a special puller (like our power steering pumps do)?

Old 07-16-2015, 01:33 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
That first puller would work for the harmonic balancer, but you shouldn't need to pull the harmonic balancer off the crank - leave it and the center bolt in place, and there should be a few smaller bolts that attach the pulley to it. It should come right off with no puller.

Same with the water pump - pull the 4 fan bolts out, and it should slip right off the pump with no puller.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:38 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Here's a picture during my engine assembly that shows the harmonic balancer installed without the pulley attached - you can see the 4-bolt pattern: pull those 4 bolts out, and the pulley should come right off the front of it. Same for the water pump above it - just the 4 bolts to take out, and it's free.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
That first puller would work for the harmonic balancer, but you shouldn't need to pull the harmonic balancer off the crank - leave it and the center bolt in place, and there should be a few smaller bolts that attach the pulley to it. It should come right off with no puller.

Same with the water pump - pull the 4 fan bolts out, and it should slip right off the pump with no puller.

That is fan-freaking-tastic news.

I can't think of any reasons I wouldn't pull those pulleys from that 1981 351W engine out in the J/Y. I could be running a serpentine set up in no time at all!

To hell with the V-belt pulleys!

At one point I was told that I need a reversed water pump for my 351W because a serpentine set up would turn the water pump the wrong direction. How does a person tell which way the water pump turns under a regular v-belt set up?

Old 07-16-2015, 02:01 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Look at the belt routing: with a V-belt setup, everything will turn the same direction as the crankshaft, because the belt never doubles back and runs the back side on anything. With a serpentine setup, you can run some pulleys on the smooth side of the belt, and these will turn the opposite direction of the crankshaft. With the water pump, direction of rotation is important due to the impeller design, so you'll need to swap the water pump if you plan to spin it the other direction. Just buy one for whatever application you're getting the accessory drive from.

The other thing to pay attention to is pulley alignment. Measure and be sure that the pulley mounting surface of the harmonic balancer on the crank of your engine is the same distance out from the block as the same surface on the engine you're pulling the pulleys from. I expect it'll be the same, but measure just to be sure. You might have to swap balancers if the spacing is different, even though the pulley would bolt up fine to your balancer, just to get the pulleys lined up properly. As with the water pump, you should be able to just order the balancer that would fit the application you're pulling the accessories from.

Since I was cobbling a mis-match of different-year parts for my build, I ended up switching from the one pictured above to this style harmonic balancer with removable spacers (I had the 50-oz imbalance one, but linked to the 28-oz one here, which would be right for the 351W):

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pf...view/make/ford

There are three different spacer thicknesses that can be put on the front of it to get the pulley spacing right:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-81006/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-81007/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-81008/overview/

I don't think you'll need to worry about that, but it is an option if it comes to it.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:03 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Also, be sure to get the brackets for the accessory drive setup too, not just the pulleys, as you'll need to add the idler pulleys, spring tensioner, etc. that may be there to duplicate the belt routing.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:19 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Also, be sure to get the brackets for the accessory drive setup too, not just the pulleys, as you'll need to add the idler pulleys, spring tensioner, etc. that may be there to duplicate the belt routing.
I'll grab everything - I'm on the same page as you there.

If I don't get it all on the first try, I might be going back several times (which would be annoying).

Hopefully everything I need is still there when I go back!