1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Anyone really familiar with PATS system (interesting story)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 02:56 PM
thegreatgate
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone really familiar with PATS system (interesting story)

So I bought a 2002 F150 with blacked out odometer.

Tried to fix it myself and ruined cluster (1st time soldering), destroyed gas gauge and oil temp gauge.

So I had no choice but find another cluster, also from an 02 F150.

Well, I drive it to the Ford dealership after hours with original cluster, I swap cluster in the parking lot, knowing it will be a crank no start. I tell them to reflash PCM/keys and they called me today saying that they can't.

The technician thinks that the PCM was swapped from a Taurus/Sable!!!

He says their computer thinks it is a Taurus and won't allow it to reflash.

It's the original F150 computer, I know that. But didn't want to say that I swapped the cluster cause not sure if that is legal.

Any thoughts on this? Now I'm gonna have to put the bad cluster back in and try to sell it with a bad cluster...

Old 07-13-2015, 02:57 PM
thegreatgate
Senior User
I compared the two clusters and they look the same. Mine has a white sticker that says 2001 (mine is a 2002 but probably was made late 2001) and the new one I have says May 2003 so is either a really late model 2002 or a 2003. But they are the same.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:07 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
Tell them what you did and see if they will reprogram everything. As long as the odometer change is properly disclosed in accordance with your state's law, it's not illegal to change it.

The dealer will have to retrieve your 'as-built' data from HQ by VIN, but they can certainly do it and properly reprogram the PCM and the PATS system.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:06 PM
CircuitBoardMedics
SPONSOR
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
We can take care of this for you. We can get the mileage corrected in the replacement cluster as well to ensure that it is accurate to the true mileage of the truck. Feel free to call us at 800-547-2049 so that we walk through the options that you have.

We specialize in repairing and rebuilding circuitry in automotive modules. By repairing these components, CBM offers customers an alternative to high cost replacement parts and a timely solution for malfunctioning vehicles.
Visit us at www.CircuitBoardMedics.com or call us at 800-547-2049.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:42 PM
thegreatgate
Senior User
UPDATE FIXED

So I took it to 1 Ford Dealership...They couldn't reprogram the computer.

Then I took it to another Ford Dealership...Couldn't reprogram. Got another cluster...Still couldn't reprogram.

Took it to a backyard guy that does this kind of thing and he couldn't do anything either.

Called Circuit Board Medics and for $150 plus $20 (2 day FedEx shipping) they were able to use their tools to transfer all of the data on the bad cluster onto the good cluster.

They said even the Ford dealerships do not have this tool (which is really strange because it obviously works fine).

So now it starts, odometer is bright, and all gauges work. Highly recommend.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:55 PM
CircuitBoardMedics
SPONSOR
Originally Posted by thegreatgate
UPDATE FIXED

So I took it to 1 Ford Dealership...They couldn't reprogram the computer.

Then I took it to another Ford Dealership...Couldn't reprogram. Got another cluster...Still couldn't reprogram.

Took it to a backyard guy that does this kind of thing and he couldn't do anything either.

Called Circuit Board Medics and for $150 plus $20 (2 day FedEx shipping) they were able to use their tools to transfer all of the data on the bad cluster onto the good cluster.

They said even the Ford dealerships do not have this tool (which is really strange because it obviously works fine).

So now it starts, odometer is bright, and all gauges work. Highly recommend.
Thanks for the opportunity! We love doing things that "can't be done"!

For clarification, it's not a top secret "tool" that we have that the dealers don't have; we just have a lot of capabilities to communicate with instrument clusters, PCMs, etc. that the dealers don't. We have the ability to troubleshoot a circuit board to figure out why it's not communicating whereas most dealers are only equipped to troubleshoot down to the cluster itself.

Thanks again though for the opportunity to serve you with this one!

We specialize in repairing and rebuilding circuitry in automotive modules. By repairing these components, CBM offers customers an alternative to high cost replacement parts and a timely solution for malfunctioning vehicles.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:45 AM
tcrote5516
Junior User
Originally Posted by CircuitBoardMedics

For clarification, it's not a top secret "tool" that we have that the dealers don't have; we just have a lot of capabilities to communicate with instrument clusters, PCMs, etc. that the dealers don't. We have the ability to troubleshoot a circuit board to figure out why it's not communicating whereas most dealers are only equipped to troubleshoot down to the cluster itself.

A bit off topic but Geeze you guys sound good...if you want to make a fortune start working on the EBCM's (Electronic Brake Control Module) for C5 Corvettes. I have one (mine is fine) but people are paying $3,000+++ for USED replacements. Its a small board that controls the ABS and traction control system for Vett's and no one has a fix for them...yet. If you were able to figure it I know Vett owners would have no problem opening their wallets.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 AM
Kyler7700
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CircuitBoardMedics

Hey guys, would you mind giving some input on my truck? All the info I have on it is located here
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1395311-daily-driver-out-of-commission-pcm-issues-please-help.html#post15607320

Old 08-31-2015, 10:48 AM
CircuitBoardMedics
SPONSOR
Kyler7700,
I'm just chiming in here to let you know I'm reviewing your other thread. I'll post any ideas there.