Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Disconnecting wastegate solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:34 AM
corksil
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disconnecting wastegate solenoid?

Hello. I've been diagnosing a low boost issue for quite a while now.

2002 F350 7.3l ZF6. 190k.

I was seeing an absolute MAX boost of 14 at full WOT into redline on a race tuned 6 position switchable chip. That is to say, the gauge (AIH delete probe standalone gauge) -- flickered to 15psi at full throttle ever so often.

Tested for boost leaks many times, didn't find anything major.

Tried disconnecting the red vacuum line from wastegage solenoid, drove truck very hard WOT up the same road, and suddenly saw as high as 21psi.

I've been driving for two days now with red line disconnected and this truck is suddenly ALIVE. It GOES. Lots more noticeable power with the increased boost.

My options are --- 1) Leave red hose disconnected and call it "fixed".

2) Throw more money at truck and replace wastegate solenoid with aftermarket or OEM replacement.

Suggestions? Haven't seen any check engine lights or codes since disconnecting red hose.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:36 AM
greg_8507
Elder User
I have the Turbomaster wastegate controller from dieselsite. It allows me to adjust my boost to where I want it. But there are many here who just leave the red line disconnected and are happy with it.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:03 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I just went through the same issue you just described. I have my red line currently unpluged, and get a SEL P1249 being unpluged.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:00 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The red line can stay disconnected, and I have seen boost top out as high as 32 PSI on a hot tune. For those venturing above 27 PSI boost, you may need a boost fooler (pressure regulator on the MAP line). This prevents the SES light from firing up.

If you get bigger sticks and turbo, then you would likely want to adjust the wastegate actuator and use the regulator to keep the boost down to 35 PSI.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:53 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You can also remove and tighten up the stock wastegate so it doesn't start to open until a higher pressure. Just be warned that 2 out of 3 times the shaft breaks when you try to tighten it up. When that happens, a little cut and weld does the truck to get you back up and running.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:24 PM
corksil
Senior User
Just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

If I'm not boosting over 27psi on the original ford-installed turbocharger, I'm not at risk of damaging anything.

I already have resistors to fool the solenoid SES/CEL/MIL light if a code is triggered.

I don't see a reason to try and replace the wastegate or adjust it if I'm not boosting over 27psi. The highest I have ever seen since disconnecting it is 21psi.

I spoke with bob @ dieselsite and he told me that unless my boost is excessively high, there is no reason to buy his wastegate controller if the truck is running fine otherwise.

Can I just remove all the green/red lines and cap off all the holes? Resistor to fool the ECU/PCM into not throwing a code, and call it "job well done" on this project and not have to think about it again?

Thank you. I'm a dim when it comes to this sort of thing it seems. I appreciate the help.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:08 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F350-6
You can also remove and tighten up the stock wastegate so it doesn't start to open until a higher pressure. Just be warned that 2 out of 3 times the shaft breaks when you try to tighten it up. When that happens, a little cut and weld does the truck to get you back up and running.
I recently shortened up mine, and at first, it looked like the shaft was going to twist in half. So, I stopped, and soaked it in Kroil overnight. I then applied heat from a plumbing torch, to the female threaded end, and then doused it with more Kroil. That did the trick. A pair of vise grips on the rod, and another on the end of the threaded end (not over the threads) worked. I think if you try to squeeze the end over the threads, it distorts easily, making it harder to remove.)

Old 07-16-2015, 12:51 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's staked into the threads. If you look at it, you should see a punch mark on the outside of the threaded collar. I just snapped one off yesterday and immediately cursed myself for not drilling it out where it's staked. Ended up welding it back on. No biggie, but it took some extra time.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:12 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by corksil
Just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

If I'm not boosting over 27psi on the original ford-installed turbocharger, I'm not at risk of damaging anything.

I already have resistors to fool the solenoid SES/CEL/MIL light if a code is triggered.

I don't see a reason to try and replace the wastegate or adjust it if I'm not boosting over 27psi. The highest I have ever seen since disconnecting it is 21psi.

I spoke with bob @ dieselsite and he told me that unless my boost is excessively high, there is no reason to buy his wastegate controller if the truck is running fine otherwise.

Can I just remove all the green/red lines and cap off all the holes? Resistor to fool the ECU/PCM into not throwing a code, and call it "job well done" on this project and not have to think about it again?

Thank you. I'm a dim when it comes to this sort of thing it seems. I appreciate the help.
Yes, just remove the end of the red line that connects to the wastegate actuator and plug it into a turbo boot clamp. Leave the green line connected. That will trick the solenoid into thinking all is well.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:10 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are some pics to help out. The first is of the wastegate solenoid. The red & green lines are still connected as well as the electrical connector. I do not have a wastegate since I am running the van turbo.

the second pic is showing the red line connected to a boot clamp instead of the waste gate actuator. You can see it jus under the green line, hooked up to a boot clamp on the intake plenum. This allows the solenoid to still respond to the PCM but have no mechanical affect. Have had it this way for almost 10 years, no codes.

The 3rd pic shows where the wastegate actuator lines run:

this last pic is a wastegate control diagram.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:22 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikachu
It's staked into the threads. If you look at it, you should see a punch mark on the outside of the threaded collar.
Which is why 2 out of 3 of them break. Sometimes you get lucky and it's not pressed too far into the threads. Most of the time, you get to weld it back together.

Since welding is easy enough, I don't worry about being too careful anymore. It's either going to unscrew or get welded. No point in wasting time worrying about it.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:25 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The majority of people here will disagree with me. I'm okay with that. I live in a house with four women and one in college. No males at all.

I feel if it came with the truck, designed into its function, Engineered, its there for a reason.

There are several other ways to increase boost. Some are cost effective, some are upgrades, and some are ridiculous. I think some of the inventors and marketers put a price on some thing and say to one another - Let's see how many we can sell at this price.

Just me talking

Tom

Old 07-17-2015, 12:31 PM
corksil
Senior User
Okay. I understand perfectly.

Does anyone know where I can get the little rubber end-boots for the red and green lines?

Due to oil/fuel leaks over the years, my rubber end fittings for these lines are rotting and disintegrating.

I see four rubber pieces in the above picture of the red/green hoses. I have a boost leak at most of them.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:40 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. Autozone, Advance, NAPA, etc. They will be in the vacuum fitting section.
Dorman part# 47408. You will need 4 of them ( The "double" connector, at the solenoid will be replaced with 2 individual ones)
Dorman - Autograde 1/8 X 5/32 In. Soft Vacuum Tubing Elbow 47408: Advance Auto Parts

Be prepared for them not to have enough in stock, and have to order them. Seems like a common problem these days. Nobody bothers to keep the shelves stocked , and instead just expects the customer to wait... (Walmart I'm looking at you..)

Old 07-17-2015, 12:45 PM
corksil
Senior User
Excellent. Thank you very much for the help, that goes for everyone who posted in this thread.

Thanks thanks!