Put my headliner in today - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Put my headliner in today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Senior User

Skalywag is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Put my headliner in today

I think I exceeded my old record for swearing. My wife helped me get the top in and lined up and then it was all me. The instructions lack something too be desired. I had to trim the kick panels and the filler piece over the back window. About 3 hour job. Don't know if that is longer than normal or just right. Broke two drill bits. I used 1/8" bits which were just right. I think the instructions could have at least told you the size of bit to use. Quality of the part great, instructions suck.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Senior User

3twinridges is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hAd to trim my kick panels also. On the side where the magic heater is, I used a beer can to cut a neat half circle cutout for the cable that controls the fresh air. I do not know if that is right or not but it looks original. I think the kick panel push pins are a little loose also. I was fortunate and used the originals left in the truck after I bead blasted them along with painting them.

Jb
Old 07-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Senior User

greenmachine55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good for you! It took me longer than that the first go around years ago. My second attempt was better as I wetted it down, used alittle vasoline around the rear window rubber, and trimmed as I went.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3twinridges View Post
I hAd to trim my kick panels also. On the side where the magic heater is, I used a beer can to cut a neat half circle cutout for the cable that controls the fresh air. I do not know if that is right or not but it looks original. I think the kick panel push pins are a little loose also. I was fortunate and used the originals left in the truck after I bead blasted them along with painting them.

Jb
I agree, the kick panel fasteners are really sloppy, other than that , it is all good.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:02 PM
Senior User

Mixer man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Mixer man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I estimate it will take me two days to do mine.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:17 PM
Senior User

53 tonner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

Jb
When I was going to put mine in I was given advise that included a beer can also. I was told to sit in a lawn chair, open a can of beer & watch someone else put my headliner in.

Grant
Old 07-15-2015, 08:20 PM
Senior User

3twinridges is starting off with a positive reputation.
My dad and are putting in the headliner in our F1 this coming weekend. We also have the dome light, so I know we have our hands full. I am sure it will require more beer cans.

JB
Old 07-15-2015, 08:57 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 tonner View Post
When I was going to put mine in I was given advise that included a beer can also. I was told to sit in a lawn chair, open a can of beer & watch someone else put my headliner in.

Grant
I waited until we were done, then I think I had six empties setting around.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:33 PM
Senior User

Mixer man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Mixer man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
My dad and are putting in the headliner in our F1 this coming weekend. We also have the dome light, so I know we have our hands full. I am sure it will require more beer cans.

JB
I'm doing the dome light as well. Would sure love to see some pics of your install. Hope it goes well for you.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:14 PM
FTE fan

underthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant future
Congratulations on getting it done, I bet it looks real nice, For me it's been one of those jobs that I have successfully put off for about 12 or 13 years now, but what the heck, my cab has a funky 60s feel to it that has kinda grown on me. A little Patchouli and an 8 track and Ill be set LOL. Enough about my truck, you getting yours in, is a really big deal and Id love to see a pic of it. Keep up the good work .
Old 07-17-2015, 08:21 AM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm has much to be proud ofbobbytnm has much to be proud ofbobbytnm has much to be proud ofbobbytnm has much to be proud ofbobbytnm has much to be proud ofbobbytnm has much to be proud ofbobbytnm has much to be proud ofbobbytnm has much to be proud of
There are many situation with these old trucks that are enhanced with the careful application of a beer can. Unfortunately for me, my wife is a recycling nut so I rarely have an empty beer can available to use. Luckily for me I keep a steady stock of full beer cans on hand (for emergency use only, of course).

When the situation arises where you need the empty beer can, you are forced to dig out the lawn chair, and the full beer, sit back, relax, empty the beer can and then proceed with the project (repeat the process as necessary)

Life is tough sometimes......LOL

Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 07-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Just another Joe

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytnm View Post
There are many situation with these old trucks that are enhanced with the careful application of a beer can. Unfortunately for me, my wife is a recycling nut so I rarely have an empty beer can available to use. Luckily for me I keep a steady stock of full beer cans on hand (for emergency use only, of course).

When the situation arises where you need the empty beer can, you are forced to dig out the lawn chair, and the full beer, sit back, relax, empty the beer can and then proceed with the project (repeat the process as necessary)

Life is tough sometimes......LOL

Bobby
I had a feeling deep down inside you were really a philosopher.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 07-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Elder User

mustangmike6996 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mustangmike6996 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Did you stop to take any pictures during the installation?

Maybe you can give us some advice/do's-don'ts for any future installs
Gone- 96 Stang, 06 Stang, 10 Stang, 08 F150, 04 HD F250, 10 Raptor (I enjoy cars/trucks too much)
Old 07-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
Did you stop to take any pictures during the installation?

Maybe you can give us some advice/do's-don'ts for any future installs
Didn't get any pics,of the install, it was kinda like once I got started I had to keep going. That's how I work. I measured like the instructions stated to get the center of the top location for the screw, didn't work out. Someone mentioned putting a screw in the center with the head ground to a point, after install , push the headliner up to find that top center bracket. I wish I had done that. Other than that it seems pretty straight forward.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Senior User

greenmachine55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good one 53 tonner! I lied because I did have some help with my headliner. Say hello to my little friends.....oops! Can't say those few persuading words here! LOL