Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Looking at Bed Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 03:07 PM
hsfbfan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking at Bed Accessories

Looking for bed accessories for my new truck.

Pretty sure I'm going with the Bedrug instead of a liner.

Have narrowed down to 3 covers.

1. BakFlip VP
2. BakFlip Revolver X2
3. Paragon

Anyone have any comments or experiences that would help my make a good decision? Water resistance is huge. Had a solid fiberglass cover on an older truck and didn't like the restriction on bed use but it was completely water proof.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:07 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hsfbfan

1. BakFlip VP
2. BakFlip Revolver X2
3. Paragon

Anyone have any comments or experiences that would help my make a good decision? Water resistance is huge. Had a solid fiberglass cover on an older truck and didn't like the restriction on bed use but it was completely water proof.
I looked at those too. I felt like I skimped when I bought a rollup, but I have a tool box and it rolls up out of the way. All of the hard covers would block my access to the tool box. Anyhow, I am real happy and spent half the money and a lot of people ask me about it because it looks as good or better.

I forgot which were my top 3 covers, because I forgot number 1. Bakflip was 2 and paragon was not really a consideration.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hsfbfan

1. BakFlip VP
2. BakFlip Revolver X2
3. Paragon

I'm glad to see a Peragon cover made your short list! You'll find a wide range of opinions on how water resistant each type of cover is. Part of the reason for that is each truck owner's definition of "a lot" is very different. Some see a few drops and are concerned, others have a greater tolerance for a little leakage in the corners and along the edges. Generally speaking, folding / rolling / retractable bed covers will leak a little in these areas - Peragon included. We're careful to make sure our customers are aware of that limitation.

That is the upside to a solid lid, they are waterproof. However, as you've noted, they really limit your ability to use your truck bed for all the reasons you bought a truck! It really comes down to weighing how you use your truck and what will work best for you most of the time. Something I do personally is use large Rubbermaid-style totes in the truck bed to keep my cargo organized, clean and dry. Or a lot of tools are already in plastic cases.

I've had a BedRug in three trucks in a row, so I'm a fan! It's a great product!

Old 07-12-2015, 06:20 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Peragon
I'm glad to see a Peragon cover made your short list! You'll find a wide range of opinions on how water resistant each type of cover is. Part of the reason for that is each truck owner's definition of "a lot" is very different. Some see a few drops and are concerned, others have a greater tolerance for a little leakage in the corners and along the edges. Generally speaking, folding / rolling / retractable bed covers will leak a little in these areas - Peragon included. We're careful to make sure our customers are aware of that limitation.

That is the upside to a solid lid, they are waterproof. However, as you've noted, they really limit your ability to use your truck bed for all the reasons you bought a truck! It really comes down to weighing how you use your truck and what will work best for you most of the time. Something I do personally is use large Rubbermaid-style totes in the truck bed to keep my cargo organized, clean and dry. Or a lot of tools are already in plastic cases.

I've had a BedRug in three trucks in a row, so I'm a fan! It's a great product!
Don't twist what I said--I eliminated pagagon as an option based on the reviews for hard covers.

I decided to get a roll up and recommend access Loredo

Old 07-12-2015, 08:29 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I love my Peragon cover! It's not 100% water tight nor is it fair to expect it to be. It's not a cover that fits over the bed rails.

If I'm travelling I too keep a plastic tote in case it rains.

Peragon's customer service will win anyone over if given the chance.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:57 AM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
I went with Undercover Flex. I love it so far. The best part is it sits flush with the bed rails, so far very water tight. It does use the side drains, so a few drips down the drain tube, but otherwise totally dry. Next year I would like the BedRug too, but this year I put a mat on the floor of the bed. It is nice to stop the slick part of the bed......

Old 07-13-2015, 10:52 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by kenttrudiw
I went with Undercover Flex. I love it so far. The best part is it sits flush with the bed rails, so far very water tight. It does use the side drains, so a few drips down the drain tube, but otherwise totally dry. Next year I would like the BedRug too, but this year I put a mat on the floor of the bed. It is nice to stop the slick part of the bed......
That was the one I forgot and was going to go with until I rolled up. The nice part about the access is that for $200 I can get a new cover, which after 2 and 1/2 years, I am going to do.

I did a lot of reading and that one sounded the best to me is a solid cover.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:31 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
Don't twist what I said--I eliminated pagagon as an option based on the reviews for hard covers.

I decided to get a roll up and recommend access Loredo

I just re-read this. Please be polite to our vendors.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:42 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
I just re-read this. Please be polite to our vendors.
Polite is a different issue. Paragon was thanking me. All the reviews I read, I decided I didn't want a paragon. It felt really disingenuous. I see a lot of that and it gets old, where people who pay here have a different set of rules then honest people just expressing their honest/unpaid for opinions.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:47 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Polite is a different issue. Paragon was thanking me. All the reviews I read, I decided I didn't want a paragon. It felt really disingenuous. I see a lot of that and it gets old, where people who pay here have a different set of rules then honest people just expressing their honest/unpaid for opinions.
Ah! Now I understand what happened, my first post above was responding to and quoting hsfbfan's original post, not in any way referring to your follow-up post about not deciding to go with a Peragon. I completely respect your decision to go with another cover, there are many good products out there, each with a unique set of advantages.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:44 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Peragon
Ah! Now I understand what happened, my first post above was responding to and quoting hsfbfan's original post, not in any way referring to your follow-up post about not deciding to go with a Peragon. I completely respect your decision to go with another cover, there are many good products out there, each with a unique set of advantages.

Please accept my apologies for any confusion. I read way too much and decided against paragon. However, I have never owned a paragon cover and have no experience to say anything negative either. I do respect all businesses and wish you well.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Please accept my apologies for any confusion. I read way too much and decided against paragon. However, I have never owned a paragon cover and have no experience to say anything negative either. I do respect all businesses and wish you well.
No worries, thank you!

Old 07-13-2015, 09:08 PM
F150'94
Senior User
I would be interested to hear more thoughts on the bed liners. I have a drop-in in my '94, because I was convinced at the time, it would provide the best protection. It definitely rattles and has rubbed some paint from the bed. This made me go with a spray-in for the '11, which protected well but always seemed susceptible to dents. From the little I have read and videos watched so far, it seems the BedRug is the best of both worlds. What made you chose your bed liner?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2015, 09:12 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by F150'94
I would be interested to hear more thoughts on the bed liners. I have a drop-in in my '94, because I was convinced at the time, it would provide the best protection. It definitely rattles and has rubbed some paint from the bed. This made me go with a spray-in for the '11, which protected well but always seemed susceptible to dents. From the little I have read and videos watched so far, it seems the BedRug is the best of both worlds. What made you chose your bed liner?

Thanks!
Our 2005 Tundra had a Line-X liner, and I always liked it, and never had any regrets. Our 2015 F-150 had the option of getting the Line-X, but our dealer suggested that the wait time for Line-X was unreasonable (where we live), and that we would spend less time waiting if we went for the Ford spray-in liner. We've only had the truck for about 6 weeks, but the Ford spray-in liner is actually very thick and very sturdy.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:13 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
That was a decision I spent a lot of time on. I dropped in a bed liner with a rubber mat on top. Then I decided to build a bed slide, but it can all come out if I want it to. With the drop in and mat, I could pull the mat out and wash it down. Like many things, you have to figure out what works for you.