1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my new to me f350

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:36 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
also found a chrome 6" tip on ebay (15" long, which i measured and it should work how i want. i could use an 18" but the price difference for me isn't worth it for this truck not being a perfect condition show truck. its 34 shipped! hell, can't beat that compared to all the other 6-8" tips are $100-150+....so i'm going to order that now. ill post a link in a moment in case anyone else is looking for a tip for a good deal. hopefully the chrome finish doesn't turn to poo but the seller has good feedback so i will take the chance.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:13 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
So i just placed the order for the 6", then noticed an 8" for 10 bux more. I always liked these trucks, especially duallys with more tire showing, with large tips. But not really anything over 8". Some agree even 8 is too much, but here's a pic of a SD with a 6 and a 7" for comparison. I personally like the 7 better than the 6, trying to find good pics of an 8" so i can reorder (canceled the order for the 6")

Here's the links though i promised:

6" for 39 shipped:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...714046&alt=web

8" for 50 shipped:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...166330&alt=web

And here's pics i found. I found an 8" too. So here's 6 7 and 8.

6"

7"

8"

Old 04-10-2016, 10:50 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice score on the bumper. I want one for mine eventually as well. That crease isn't bad at all. I'm very picky and can normally pick little stuff like that out, even in pictures. And I can't see it in any of the other pictures other than the one where you focused in on it.

Not sure on the tip. 8" is too much for me. It looks alright on some trucks, might not look too bad on your dually. But the transition might not look too good going from 4-8". If you can keep it tucked up so you can't see the transition it would look better, I hate when you can really see that. I think 7" is perfect on the right truck. I've got the same size 6" that you linked to, not the exact same one, but same size. I think it should look pretty good, don't have it on the truck yet. The 6" looks huge in person! When you're holding it at least, I'm guessing it will look smaller on the truck. An 8" just has to look stupid in your hands haha. I would go with a 7" but that's just me. I plan to go with a 7" once I get bigger tires and probably move up to a 5" exhaust. Here's a link to a 7" I found after clicking around after your links. Its 18" long and is $60, not sure if you want to spend that much. Its only $10 more than the 8" though, haha.
Diesel Stainless Steel Bolt on Exhaust Tip 4" Inlet 7" Outlet 18" Long | eBay

Also great job on the carpet, looks really nice! I like that idea and might have to try it on mine eventually. Mine isn't all that bad, but I'm sure it could be better.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:33 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Cool deal on the bumper. Did it come with the plastic trim pieces?

Old 04-11-2016, 10:40 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by RedDevil460
Nice score on the bumper. I want one for mine eventually as well. That crease isn't bad at all. I'm very picky and can normally pick little stuff like that out, even in pictures. And I can't see it in any of the other pictures other than the one where you focused in on it.

Not sure on the tip. 8" is too much for me. It looks alright on some trucks, might not look too bad on your dually. But the transition might not look too good going from 4-8". If you can keep it tucked up so you can't see the transition it would look better, I hate when you can really see that. I think 7" is perfect on the right truck. I've got the same size 6" that you linked to, not the exact same one, but same size. I think it should look pretty good, don't have it on the truck yet. The 6" looks huge in person! When you're holding it at least, I'm guessing it will look smaller on the truck. An 8" just has to look stupid in your hands haha. I would go with a 7" but that's just me. I plan to go with a 7" once I get bigger tires and probably move up to a 5" exhaust. Here's a link to a 7" I found after clicking around after your links. Its 18" long and is $60, not sure if you want to spend that much. Its only $10 more than the 8" though, haha.
Diesel Stainless Steel Bolt on Exhaust Tip 4" Inlet 7" Outlet 18" Long | eBay

Also great job on the carpet, looks really nice! I like that idea and might have to try it on mine eventually. Mine isn't all that bad, but I'm sure it could be better.
yea i'm pretty OCD on stuff too, the crease would bother me if it was for my excursion, as when i build my garage in my backyard, i plan to start overhauling it, paint, fix up the interior, lift, wheels etc. so that's gonna be more of a pretty truck so i want it perfect. but the dually, while i still keep it clean and take care of it, if she gets a scratch or ding here and there, it's not the end of the world, because i bought it to use to haul stuff and tow and work out of. so the small crease didn't bother me.

and yea, i haven't decided yet. still looking at pics online. some trucks i like 8" tips on, some i don't. originally i was gonna go with the 35 dollar 6", but then i started looking at pics, and on a dually, especially after i lift it, i think it's gonna look too small for what i want. the 7 or 8" is likely what i'm going to go with. also, i was measuring last night, and i really need an 18" long tip vs the 15", so i can tuck it up under the truck better, because as you said, i HATE seeing the transition from a 4" to 8" tip, even 4 to 6, although 8" is a lot worse. it just looks horrible. so 18" should be long enough to tuck under so from behind the truck you see just 8" (or 7" depending whichever i get). i'm leaning towards the 8" since it's a dually, and when i lift it, with the dualy 35's behind it, it won't look as large as it would on a SRW truck with just a single ~13.50 tire behind it. still looking around though before ordering. i've heard large tips change the tone a little too, not sure if it's true or not, but i'm excited to see. once i figure out where i want it clamped on at, i'm going to weld it on so it never comes loose, also because i'd be afraid someone would just unscrew it and steal it when at a store or something. people are jerks these days

about the carpet, yea if you have a few days to spare, go for it! really you don't even need to put it out of commission, you can take the carpet out and bolt the seat(s) back in and drive it like that while the carpet is out. pressure washing it really gives it a good cleaning. just a bit of work, and you have to make sure the carpet and the jute/padding under it is 100% dry, because if it's even the slightest bit still wet/damp, it'll stay trapped under there and just stink and get moldy!

pressure wash, wet-vac dry, pressure wash, wet-vac dry. if you have access to a hot water extractor like i had, that helps even more, although a wet-vac does essentially the same thing, minus the hot water part. it's just neat having the clear end on the HWE so you can see the dirty water being vacuumed out, and you know once it's clear that it's pretty clean. let me know if you ever do it, i'd like to see pics!

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Cool deal on the bumper. Did it come with the plastic trim pieces?
no unfortunately not, i just realized this was you (you may have already seen my response in Russ' thread). for $90, i figured it was a good deal compared to what they normally go for on Craigslist, or even more on ebay + shipping. so i got it, and figured i will source the plastic afterwards (also knowing that there's a listing on my local CL for the black plastic that i need for $125 obo). as i put in Russ' thread, i am waiting on a reply from the seller to see if he's willing to go lower. i don't even want to pay $75 for it, although if that's what they are worth used, i may have to. it's been for sale for at least 3 months, so he may want to just get it out of his house and sell it cheap. hoping for $50ish lol.

i got a great deal on the OEM painted bumper for my excursion, from a 2011 or 12 i think, paid $100 bux, with the plastic AND drilled for the backup sensors. that was a few years ago, and actually it was the same guy i got this chrome one from funny enough. didn't realize it until i got to his house, but he repairs bumpers for his job, and when i saw the logo on his truck, i remembered buying the one for my excursion a few years ago from him as well. this time though he didn't have the plastic, but oh well. been dying for an 08+ chrome rear bumper for my dually since i got it! got the tails too, i'll probably go today and buy the new bulb sockets i need for the newer style tails and splice those on and install the tails also. now if i can just come across a new style tailgate and ill be all set! i'll settle for an 08-14 (i think 14) but ideally i'd want a 2015+, that have the additional body line on the top of the gate, just think it adds to the look and IMO looks better than the 08-14's do.

but i have my stock gate so i'm not going to rush. whenever i find a deal on one in good shape is when i will upgrade

Old 04-11-2016, 01:17 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ufvj217
yea i'm pretty OCD on stuff too, the crease would bother me if it was for my excursion, as when i build my garage in my backyard, i plan to start overhauling it, paint, fix up the interior, lift, wheels etc. so that's gonna be more of a pretty truck so i want it perfect. but the dually, while i still keep it clean and take care of it, if she gets a scratch or ding here and there, it's not the end of the world, because i bought it to use to haul stuff and tow and work out of. so the small crease didn't bother me.

and yea, i haven't decided yet. still looking at pics online. some trucks i like 8" tips on, some i don't. originally i was gonna go with the 35 dollar 6", but then i started looking at pics, and on a dually, especially after i lift it, i think it's gonna look too small for what i want. the 7 or 8" is likely what i'm going to go with. also, i was measuring last night, and i really need an 18" long tip vs the 15", so i can tuck it up under the truck better, because as you said, i HATE seeing the transition from a 4" to 8" tip, even 4 to 6, although 8" is a lot worse. it just looks horrible. so 18" should be long enough to tuck under so from behind the truck you see just 8" (or 7" depending whichever i get). i'm leaning towards the 8" since it's a dually, and when i lift it, with the dualy 35's behind it, it won't look as large as it would on a SRW truck with just a single ~13.50 tire behind it. still looking around though before ordering. i've heard large tips change the tone a little too, not sure if it's true or not, but i'm excited to see. once i figure out where i want it clamped on at, i'm going to weld it on so it never comes loose, also because i'd be afraid someone would just unscrew it and steal it when at a store or something. people are jerks these days

about the carpet, yea if you have a few days to spare, go for it! really you don't even need to put it out of commission, you can take the carpet out and bolt the seat(s) back in and drive it like that while the carpet is out. pressure washing it really gives it a good cleaning. just a bit of work, and you have to make sure the carpet and the jute/padding under it is 100% dry, because if it's even the slightest bit still wet/damp, it'll stay trapped under there and just stink and get moldy!

pressure wash, wet-vac dry, pressure wash, wet-vac dry. if you have access to a hot water extractor like i had, that helps even more, although a wet-vac does essentially the same thing, minus the hot water part. it's just neat having the clear end on the HWE so you can see the dirty water being vacuumed out, and you know once it's clear that it's pretty clean. let me know if you ever do it, i'd like to see pics!

no unfortunately not, i just realized this was you (you may have already seen my response in Russ' thread). for $90, i figured it was a good deal compared to what they normally go for on Craigslist, or even more on ebay + shipping. so i got it, and figured i will source the plastic afterwards (also knowing that there's a listing on my local CL for the black plastic that i need for $125 obo). as i put in Russ' thread, i am waiting on a reply from the seller to see if he's willing to go lower. i don't even want to pay $75 for it, although if that's what they are worth used, i may have to. it's been for sale for at least 3 months, so he may want to just get it out of his house and sell it cheap. hoping for $50ish lol.

i got a great deal on the OEM painted bumper for my excursion, from a 2011 or 12 i think, paid $100 bux, with the plastic AND drilled for the backup sensors. that was a few years ago, and actually it was the same guy i got this chrome one from funny enough. didn't realize it until i got to his house, but he repairs bumpers for his job, and when i saw the logo on his truck, i remembered buying the one for my excursion a few years ago from him as well. this time though he didn't have the plastic, but oh well. been dying for an 08+ chrome rear bumper for my dually since i got it! got the tails too, i'll probably go today and buy the new bulb sockets i need for the newer style tails and splice those on and install the tails also. now if i can just come across a new style tailgate and ill be all set! i'll settle for an 08-14 (i think 14) but ideally i'd want a 2015+, that have the additional body line on the top of the gate, just think it adds to the look and IMO looks better than the 08-14's do.

but i have my stock gate so i'm not going to rush. whenever i find a deal on one in good shape is when i will upgrade

Yeah I get what you're saying. The truck's not used for work, so its not perfect, but it does still look pretty good though. That crease isn't bad at all, too bad it didn't come with the plastic pieces, but I'm sure you'll find some. I don't use mine for work all that much, so I've got similar plans for it as you do for your excursion. I've got big plans for it actually, but won't be for a few years down the line till I can really get into it.

I agree on the tip, I think the 6" will look too small, especially after the lift. 7-8" will look better. I say screw it, might as well go big or go home and get the 8". I think it will look good with the dually and big tires. Definitely 18" long too, so you can tuck it up. And yes I'm pretty sure a bigger tip should change the tone, at least from what I've read. Pretty sure it should make it a little deeper. I think it depends on its position as well, like if its tucked under more or if it sticks out a bit. And make sure once you figure out where you want it, cut back the existing exhaust so its not sticking out into the tip, essentially making the tip pointless, lol. And I hear ya on welding it on. I can't imagine it happens all that often, but it definitely wouldn't be all that hard to come by and have that tip unbolted and gone in less than a minute. Just an option: Thoroughbred Diesel has a 4x8x18 flo pro tip for $82.63 if you're interested. That's where I got my 6" from. I know the price is up there, but its not terrible. I think a similar MBRP one is at least $150, haha.

And yeah I'll definitely let you know if I ever pull the carpet out and clean it, might not be for a while though. Thanks for sharing, it I really like the idea!

Old 04-11-2016, 05:25 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
yea i pretty much have big plans for my excursion like you do for your SD lol, but when funds allow. which is likely the same as you, years. lol

Old 04-11-2016, 09:30 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ufvj217
yea i pretty much have big plans for my excursion like you do for your SD lol, but when funds allow. which is likely the same as you, years. lol

Yeah I've got big plans to say the least haha. I've actually been thinking about what I want to do a lot lately. Trying to get it all figured out so I've got a solid plan, and try not to do things twice or waste a lot of money. My plan has changed at least 3-4 times in the last month or so, haha. Funds is what is holding me back from doing what I really want. I could make some of it happen now, but it wouldn't be what I ultimately want and there's other things that really need attention first. I was planning to rebuild the suspension and do a 4" lift on 35's this summer, but decided to hold off. Was going to do it next summer, but just recently decided against that too. I know I want to go bigger some day so it wouldn't be a very permanent solution, and it isn't all that bad now and I just got new tires. So its not like I need to do it now, its just not exactly how I'd like it to be. The engine and transmission need more attention than the suspension, so I think money would be better spent there right now.

And a big thing for me is that I'm up north right in the salt, so the sooner I can get my truck out of the winter the better. What I really need is a dedicated winter truck. And I'm too picky to have a total beater, so it still needs to look at least half decent haha. So if I spend less money on my truck now, the sooner I can buy a winter truck, and will be better in the long run.

Sorry for rambling on and throwing off your thread. I tend to do that a lot, I'll shut up now lol.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:10 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
UFVJ217,

I have to say, you are a go-getter with improving this truck you bought. I think its a nice rig. We have some differing tastes on things, but since its your truck, its about the look you like. I'm impressed with the overall very clean condition, the seats look good, the frame looks great (FL, so no salt to worry about fortunately), and great job on the carpets. Thanks for keeping us informed, its kind of fun to watch the progression of this truck.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:58 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Fits like a glove! Got the plastic (OEM by the way) for $75 locally. The guy i got it from replaced his with tan, although he learned a lesson and not to use aftermarket ebay parts on stuff like this, because it quickly faded to a very different tan than the stock tan is. His is more of a purple tan now. But this black one i got is oem so all is good

Also i think im gonna eventually get one of these modded (cut at the bottom) 05+ grilles, for an updated look but also fits with my all chrome 01 platinum front bumper i have to install still. I don't want an 05+ front bumper, and I'm still in the air on what headlights to run. I have a set of clear corners, the euro kind that everyone used to run back in like 2001-2005ish, i always liked them on these trucks, so i may use those and just buy a new set of clear 01 headlights. It's either that, or some 1 piece 05+ headlights, either clear or harley black. More than likely clear, i really only like the black headlights on lighter cars. Silver, white paint, etc.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:21 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by RedDevil460
Yeah I've got big plans to say the least haha. I've actually been thinking about what I want to do a lot lately. Trying to get it all figured out so I've got a solid plan, and try not to do things twice or waste a lot of money. My plan has changed at least 3-4 times in the last month or so, haha. Funds is what is holding me back from doing what I really want. I could make some of it happen now, but it wouldn't be what I ultimately want and there's other things that really need attention first. I was planning to rebuild the suspension and do a 4" lift on 35's this summer, but decided to hold off. Was going to do it next summer, but just recently decided against that too. I know I want to go bigger some day so it wouldn't be a very permanent solution, and it isn't all that bad now and I just got new tires. So its not like I need to do it now, its just not exactly how I'd like it to be. The engine and transmission need more attention than the suspension, so I think money would be better spent there right now.

And a big thing for me is that I'm up north right in the salt, so the sooner I can get my truck out of the winter the better. What I really need is a dedicated winter truck. And I'm too picky to have a total beater, so it still needs to look at least half decent haha. So if I spend less money on my truck now, the sooner I can buy a winter truck, and will be better in the long run.

Sorry for rambling on and throwing off your thread. I tend texplao do that a lot, I'll shut up now lol.
haha no problem we all do that. it's not really off topic, doesn't bother me!

and yea i go back and forth on plans also, i for the most part have decided on a final plan for the excursion, but i don't want to start yet, 1 reason being money, another being not having my garage built yet, so i don't want to redo paint etc (i actually typed this in the quoted post right under this because i typed that out first before this reply lol) but i don't wanna redo paint etc and have to leave it outside. i hate parking my cars outside, even the dually. even my "beater" scion xB (daily driver mostly, good MPG etc). i know what you mean about a beater, i hate that too, but i consider my scion my beater. it's got some scratches, but it still cleans up nice for what it is, everything on it works, gets good MPG, tows small trailers, and hauls a ton of crap on the roof if i need. i've hauled more with that scion xB at one time than some people have with an f150 lmao. the guys at home depot know me as the dude with the scion because 75% of the time i go there in the scion for God knows why, and end up getting 50 2x4s plywood drywall you name it, and they walk out to help me load it, and their eyes go like this when they see i'm in a 100hp scion xB LOL..but check into something like that, or a small truck if you need 4x4 or something for in the snow. i have done a FEW things to the scion, tint, painted the stock steelies gloss black, window vent things for when it's raining i can crack the windows, but no major mods as i have to tell myself it's just a daily driver and a semi-beater car that i'm not worried about it getting scratched, door dings, etc. overall though i do still give it a good cleaning at least once a month or so, or whenever the inside gets all dusty and crap. but it still looks decent on the outside with it mostly all blacked out. i wanted to lower it but i keep telling myself it'll take away functionality from the car if i do that. it really is a great little everyday/do it all type of car though. other than super heavy hauling, and going offroad, it will do anything i need it to do, easy to park/drive (small) and comfy and very roomy inside IMO. at times, while i love my excursion and dually, especially the dually gets annoying being so big to park and stuff. i think when the scion dies (gonna be a while) i may either just fix it and keep it, or get rid of it and get something similar to replace it. but for being paid off and all the good things about it and 30MPG, i would never want to be without it and have to use my dually for 100% daily, because it'd get dinged up in a heartbeat the way these jackasses in my area treat other peoples cars in parking lots lol.

a lot of people doubt my toaster...she does it all!

not that mine is modded a lot, but i took a pic of this completely stock one that i parked next to a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted by troverman
UFVJ217,

I have to say, you are a go-getter with improving this truck you bought. I think its a nice rig. We have some differing tastes on things, but since its your truck, its about the look you like. I'm impressed with the overall very clean condition, the seats look good, the frame looks great (FL, so no salt to worry about fortunately), and great job on the carpets. Thanks for keeping us informed, its kind of fun to watch the progression of this truck.
thanks! yea everyone has their own things they like for their trucks, i see stuff on here that i love a persons truck then 1 or 2 mods i don't like, but that's why we all have trucks so we can mod them however we want.

yea the truck really is clean, i know at times pics make things look nicer/cleaner than they really are in person, but other than the paint on this truck, it really is super clean. and it's more than likely because it was a 1 owner (me being the 2nd) and 39k miles (now 42k). the paint had flame decals on it, another example of the PO liking flame decals, i personally think they are tacky looking, but it was his truck. anyways, either him, or i believe the dealer took them off before listing it for sale, but of course it left marks in the paint, some of which may be able to be buffed out, but there are some permanent marks. but i bought this truck to use as a truck, but still keep clean in the process, so the scratches that normally would bother the heck out of me, don't, on this truck. i hate having to leave my excursion out in the sun though, cannot wait to build my garage, even the dually will be garage kept even though it's a work truck. but i'm very **** with my excursion, that (and no money) are the main reasons i'm waiting to start working on painting it etc, because i want to be able to keep it in a garage once i start dumping money into it.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:24 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
so i saw this today. i think im gonna paint my stock wheels black, but leave the center caps black. i also like the stance on this truck. which brings me to my next statement. i think i am eventually gonna remove the stock front spacers and run smaller aftermarket hub centric spacers, for a slight poke but not like it is now.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:26 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
go ahead and laugh, but this was just because i needed to move my excursion in the backyard. since i used the 2 back wheels on the dually, i needed wheels, so i put the stock dually wheels on the excursion so i could drive it lol

of course its not staying this way lol

Old 04-12-2016, 08:28 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
off topic, but cool enough to post. never saw one of these in person, only online. i have to say, i like them! if i was rich and money was no object, i'd 100% buy one!

Old 04-12-2016, 08:32 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
last but certainly not least, i am putting a temporary tent until i am able to build my garages in my back yard. getting a 30x60 tarp, and i put some 12ft 4x4 posts in the ground, and going to use pvc and slightly raise the center posts for a slight pitch so rain water doesn't sit on the tarp, and have a 4 car+ little shaded area to park my cars, and work on them. tired of no shade. thats why i'm taking so long to get stuff done like my bumpers, front hitch, shackle lift etc.

i gotta list the f150 for sale. i wanted to keep it and fix it up but i just have too many toys and not enough time or money for it right now.

Quick Reply: my new to me f350