1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

What are these worth in your area.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 05:48 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What are these worth in your area.

1996 Ford E-250 Cargo Van 5.4 V8 16V

1995 Ford E-250 Cargo Van

Ca. vehicles mean NO RUST
I'm curious what they'd be worth in your neck of the woods.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:28 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The first listing says 1996 but in the ad it also says 1998 (which it would have to be with a 5.4). And the price says 2150 in the headline but 2750 in the ad text. Sounds confusing.

They're both probably worth a couple grand in terms of their future usefulness or money-making ability for a contractor unless there is something massively wrong with them... A new engine or transmission would cost more than the price of the van going in. Over 100k miles is no problem, over 200k will be far more "iffy" if the maintenance was questionable.

I'm guessing the blue books put them much lower in value but trucks have a long useful life, especially if they are not rusted away. In Michigan, no van that age would be free of rust.

George

Old 07-12-2015, 08:36 AM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
About 3 grand...they are still close to 20 years old....In Ontario & Quebec you never find them in that shape because of the rust ...unless they are from Alberta or Saskatchewan where they do not use salt ( Too Cold )

Old 07-12-2015, 12:48 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
No rust is the key. I was thinking of buying and turning then over to make some easy money.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:54 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by vettex2
No rust is the key. I was thinking of buying and turning then over to make some easy money.
Flipping $2k vans is not how you make money....especially if you have to deal with transporting them and fixing mechanical problems (which they will have).

Find muscle cars or pony cars that are rust free and have bigger profit margins if you want to make it worth your while.

George

Old 07-13-2015, 11:32 AM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
There was a news item on 'vanners' on nbc I think it was last friday. That would probably be the only way to make any $ but it would require investment to get them to that point. They indicated that interest in 80's styled vans and conversions were the 'in thing'. So just to make $ you will be required to spend $. BTW just because a veh say kalif vehicle does not mean its rust free, just that the likelihood will be less. Not all kalif vehs are from kalif many are imported from other areas and sea spray is just as bad but it does take longer to rust.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:30 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Flipping $2k vans is not how you make money....especially if you have to deal with transporting them and fixing mechanical problems (which they will have).

Find muscle cars or pony cars that are rust free and have bigger profit margins if you want to make it worth your while.

George
If that's all they are worth, I agree wholeheartedly. That is why I asked. I see people fixing rustbuckets so I thought they may be of higher value outside of Ca.
Asking the question was free as were the answers.
I was hoping for a quick turn. Drive eastward , sell it , see the sights and fly home. I don't need the money but I was thinking it might pay for part of a vacation.
I don't want to get involved in the pony car market. I just want to play around. If you do cars, people expect a higher level of finish.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:39 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Hank85713
There was a news item on 'vanners' on nbc I think it was last friday. That would probably be the only way to make any $ but it would require investment to get them to that point. They indicated that interest in 80's styled vans and conversions were the 'in thing'. So just to make $ you will be required to spend $. BTW just because a veh say Calif vehicle does not mean its rust free, just that the likelihood will be less. Not all Calif vehs are from Calif many are imported from other areas and sea spray is just as bad but it does take longer to rust.
Fixed.
First. stop trying to put down CA. There are reasons why people come here.
Second , there are plenty of vans that were NEVER by the sea.
Third , I was thinking of turn and burn , not go back in time.

People fixing rustbuckets might want a clean body and chassis.
I know if I was going to spend the time on vans that I see people spending on theirs, I would want a clean chassis. It's just less work and headaches.
I just wanted play money to partially offset travelling costs for vacations, not get rich.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:27 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I bought my 96 E150 Conversion van two years ago in South Texas for $3980 with 97K on the odometer and an interior that was like new and a straight body with the normal paint dings that happen over 16 years. We watched it on Ebay for two months with the starting bid at $5980, then they dropped it to $4980, when they dropped it to $3980 I jumped on it. There just isn't a big market for big vans. A 96 would have a 351 in it, not a 5.4. The only plus on these now is people like me simply don't care for what the factory is putting out now (retard looking "euro" vans)

Old 07-16-2015, 11:35 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by baddad457
I bought my 96 E150 Conversion van two years ago in South Texas for $3980 with 97K on the odometer and an interior that was like new and a straight body with the normal paint dings that happen over 16 years. We watched it on Ebay for two months with the starting bid at $5980, then they dropped it to $4980, when they dropped it to $3980 I jumped on it. There just isn't a big market for big vans. A 96 would have a 351 in it, not a 5.4. The only plus on these now is people like me simply don't care for what the factory is putting out now (retard looking "euro" vans)
It helps keep resale prices high.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:48 AM
delgriffith
Senior User
Yeah we like rust free vehicles in Minnesota, but honestly I've never had an American frame vehicle with rust issues bad enough to trash the vehicle, and with a van it's about function more than fashion. Different story for Japanese 80's / 90's vehicles. They collapsed to the point of being undrivable.

I'd pay a little more for rust free in a frame/american vehicle but not enough to pay for your vacation.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:58 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
At least you didn't offer to cuddle.

But seriously.....I was just throwing it out there . I've really only seen the cancer vans on this sight. I see people rehabbing junk. Stuff I wouldn't drop a dime on.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:36 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my year and a half story. Dad bought it new in 1988, he quit driving 10 years ago (he'll be 94 in Sept), and it mostly just sat in the driveway. I got it February 2014 and decided to do a zero time on it. It had 104K on it or ~4K/year. XLT ClubWagon 5.0L. It was more of a retirement hobby than anything.

Fuel system: fuel pumps, tank selector valve, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator.

Suspension: brake linings/wheel cylinders all 4 wheels, front wheel bearings, replaced 4 shocks, tie rods.

Heater/air conditioning: repaired vent doors, new hoses, charged R134a, fixed blower speeds.

Ignition system: new TFI module (remounted to airbox), plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, TPS sensor, IAC.

Engine: water pump, serpentine belt, thermostat, lower manifold, fan clutch, tachometer, O2 sensor.

Removed EGR and all smog devices, modified smog pump.

Installed keyless entry, 2 rear view cameras, side door power lock switch,

Installed seat belts 3rd row.

Installed winch to rear bumper, wireless remote.

Total Parts $ 2,500

Some of the activity is here: https://picasaweb.google.com/jimandnena4

What's it worth now? About $2,500, probably.
jim

Old 07-19-2015, 07:51 AM
voodoolord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I keep hearing this Cali vehicle means no rust thing and thats a load of crap. It has one of the longest coastlines in the country and plenty of rust buckets inhabiting it.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:50 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by voodoolord
I keep hearing this Cali vehicle means no rust thing and thats a load of crap. It has one of the longest coastlines in the country and plenty of rust buckets inhabiting it.
Well you are wrong.
Rust is RARELY an issue here.
Are you so ignorant to think that the majority of vans are parked next to the ocean?

Quick Reply: What are these worth in your area.