2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

ecoboost engine

Old 07-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
What is with all these people being so afraid of turbos?? I ran the hell out of my 7.3L TURBO diesel at twice the boost levels (from a modified STOCK turbo), twice the hp, and twice the torque for years. Turbo chargers are extremely robust today, especially these since they are fed with both coolant and oil. Every diesel truck (and now every EcoBoost equipped F150) on the road today is putting millions & millions of miles on turbos every day with no issues. I wish people that have zero experience with them would stop perpetuating their unfounded fears.

The advantages of the EcoBoost are the nearly instant torque when needed and the economy when not needed. You simply CANNOT get that with the 5.0L, being naturally aspirated & indirectly injected. For some people, the 5.0L is fine. Others don't want to take twice as long getting up to speed on highways with their tow loads or constant down shifts climbing a hill.

Now that the 6.2L is gone, if you want the torque out of an F150, you have no choice. The 5.0L won't touch it (especially if you add some custom tuning).
There is a big difference in diesel engines with turbos and gas......diesels operate at 60% or less the rpm of gas (truck engines that is...such as Detroit, Cummings, etc.), operating in a much barrower rpm band/power range (such as 2,000 rpm) and do not have issues such as cylinder/valve carbon build-up (which even the euro car mfg's have yet to be able to mitigate for the past 15+ years)......

Old 07-11-2015, 10:29 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
It will not make a light duty truck a heavy duty truck and it will not out tow a diesel. Nor will it outlast a diesel.
I didn't say it would.

It just depends on what you need
Exactly, that's why I said a heavy duty truck w/ diesel is overkill for most people.

I didn't buy it because I never tow
But, yet you act like the resident "know it all" on towing.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:32 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Great point. Ecoboost will out tow any other gas engine on the market. It will not make a light duty truck a heavy duty truck and it will not out tow a diesel. Nor will it outlast a diesel. For the money some people drop on their light duty truck, it might make more sense to trim down on power seats and productivity screens and invest in a diesel.

It just depends on what you need.
No one ever said that an ecoboost would turn a half ton into a superduty. The jury is out on long term reliability of the 3.5L and the 6.7L. Your statement is pure speculation.

The ecoboost can be had in an XL bare bones truck. Just because a truck has an ecoboost it doesn't mean that it cost over $50K.

Ford's ecoboost and ford's diesel weren't designed to compete with each other. There's no baby power stroke available in the F-150 and it doesn't seem that there will be an ecoboost coming to the superduty.

My daughter's college is nestled in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia. Plenty of climbing to get to and from. There are tons of farms, horse farms and recreational traffic in that area as people make their way across country. I've seen plenty of ecoboost F-150's pulling Airstreams, 5th wheelers, triple axle trailers, large bales of hay, etc up over those mountains and never even slow down.

The amount of work the truck can perform is limited by the brakes and chassis.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:19 AM
bigblueknight
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taxgod4u
Pro:
Incredible power and torque, especially with a 5* programmer. Will put almost anything else on the road to shame.

Con:
The only documented bad thing about the egoroost is that you will never get that cool V8 sound. But you can listen to that cool V8 rumble as you pass them...
I missed that v8 rumble when I first got my ecoboost, but I don't miss it now. I think the sound of the turbos spooling is way cooler

Old 07-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Ford's ecoboost and ford's diesel weren't designed to compete with each other. [
Unfortunately I don't think he's ever going to recognize that there's a middle ground that he's not seeing. If you tow 10,000 lbs three or four times a year it would be silly to buy a Super Duty. Been there, done that, was MUCH happier with my F150.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:14 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tom
Unfortunately I don't think he's ever going to recognize that there's a middle ground that he's not seeing. If you tow 10,000 lbs three or four times a year it would be silly to buy a Super Duty. Been there, done that, was MUCH happier with my F150.
X2
I also have an F250 w/5.4 . I hate the ride compared to my F150. I wouldn't want that for my daily driver. But I will take my F150 over any car for a DD.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:50 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
I didn't intend to, but you make many of my points for me. The main one is that ecoboost is just one option. I think it is an option for people who are the range of occasional max towing; people towing heavy often are better suited to diesel (that is obvious to most--not you). People can buy whatever they wish. For me and many others a better choice would be the 5.0, which in my experience gets the best gas mileage and has comparable towing to ecoboost. The difference is that you are not asking so much from 6 cylinders by jamming the air and fuel down it's throat with turbos. Some day you will see I am right. Until then, I will wait for:

KABLOOEEE!
I probably won't live that long.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:59 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I am so sorry. Do you have cancer? Is that why you sit home and blog all day on every Ford Forum? It must be really hard to keep things straight with all of the morphine you must take.

Please let me know if there is anything you need.
please don't ruin another thread.

do it again and i'm shutting it down ... again, because of you. knock it off.

i don't mind your dissenting opinion, but your unsubstantiated claims are wearing thin with everyone.

if you think the ecoboost is an overworked and whipped puppy, back it up. show how it is not doing what ford claims. and in the process, explain how it can endure the 24 hours at daytona at nearly twice the output as it is seeing in the f150, all with the production block, heads and injection system.

Exclusive Look at the Engine That Could Power Ford?s All-New GT

What you may not know is that the 600hp race version—built by Roush Yates Racing Engines (RYRE)—uses a production block, heads, direct injection, cam drive, gaskets and valvesprings. It also uses stock bore and stroke, compression ratio, and valve sizes.
you also claim that comparing a turbo diesel to a turbo gas is apples to oranges ... back it up. what is so different? aside from the method of ignition, they are far more similar than they are different. learn me something, for a change, rather than make claims and walk away. its time to put up or shut up, son.

(truth be told, i'd rather that you just shut up)
(better yet, let's discuss moderation in an open form so i can make this problem disappear once and for all)

Old 07-12-2015, 12:58 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you tow heavy, I like diesel. If you don't tow, I like 5.0. I don't see any real advantage for most people to go with the ecoboost. In my opinion the ecoboost has real narrow range of use and at some point the turbos are going to need replacing and in reality are one more thing to go wrong.

You realize those diesels have a turbo as well...? They have to be replaced as well.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:01 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I totally agree. Then again, a 5.0 will do that too and you are going to save gas and other money in the process:

Fewer oil changes
Run regular
Don't buy turbos
less maintenance/fewer problems
This is about the biggest pile of steaming hot horse crap that you've ever spouted.

Maintenance is the same, oil dump cycles are the same, fuel requirements are the same and I'm not so sure that turbos are as big of a concern as warped 5.0L blocks, oil consumption issues, electrical issues, etc.

You had to compare baby diesel engines. That's just dumb since the 3.2L isn't available in a US made pick up truck. I've never known a van to get the same MPG's as a truck.

However, the 3.5L ecoboost in the transit van is getting significantly better MPG's than the old 5.4L in the E-series vans.

Since Wards feels it's necessary to compare the 3.0L to the 2.7L ecoboost in MPG's, they failed to compare performance numbers. The 2.7L is equipped to pull up to 8500 lbs whereas the baby oil burner is maxed out at 7750 with a significant buy in cost and much higher cost of ownership over it's life cycle. Not speculation Rick, diesels cost more to operate than gassers. Not speculation Rick, pure fact. Try and dispute that one.

Lastly, when you quote a source, it's polite to offer the link to give credit to the author. Not one original thought came from your source. You read a portion of one opinion and ran with it.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:24 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
In time we will know. I for one dont want/or need a diesel. They cost more money to buy, maintain, and diesel fuel costs more. I myself probably would buy the 5.0. But theres over 600,000 ecoboost engines in service now. And some have high miles now.
and for the most part the owners are happy with them.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:22 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
ecoboost sales are declining for a reason on the f150.
You're mission in life must be working.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:35 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mattjarma
I am looking at a 2013 F350 super crew 4x4 with the EcoBoost engine. Can anyone tell me good or bad things about this engine? Everyone I have talked to seems to love it. What are the pros and cons of it?? I appreciate any input.

Matt Jarma
Temple, TX
54 F350 Script Bed, original 223 with original 4 speed.
What will your towing needs be? Do you tow in altitude? It would be good to know these things to try and give you a better answer.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:13 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
***** There were two separate issue:

One was Ward's criticism of ecoboost engines and mileage:
Where?s the Eco in EcoBoost? | Ward's 10 Best Engines content from WardsAuto
The other I was told to put up or shut up on gas turbos compared to diesel turbos: WC Engineering : Diesel vs. Gasoline Turbo Design

I don't think you really care about politeness. You are interested in picking apart the articles with twisted and irrelevant issues and detracting from what I am saying:

1. Ecoboost is not saving the gas advertised and in Ward's testing the 5.0 is getting the same mileage as the 2.7l.

2. Stop comparing turbo diesels with turbo gas: I was told to put up or shut up. I did.
Wards must be a bunch of blithering idiots then. Eco stands for ecology or in laymen's terms, an engine that produces less greenhouse gasses and is more environmentally savvy then it's predecessor.

You are still comparing fuel economy numbers between the 5.0L and the 3.5L EB when all of us but you acknowledge that the 3.5L replaced the 5.4L V-8. I've proven this to you and yet you're in denial.

Additonally, 50K will get you into a nicely equipped Lariat F-150 or even a King Ranch. $50K ain't gonna touch a King Ranch superduty with a 6.7L engine. Big difference between a loaded F-150 and a stripped superduty WRT creature comforts.

Let's shake hands and agree on something........or not.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
The only one's writing glowing reports are getting paid to do so.
Which is who exactly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ecoboost engine