1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Anti-rattle/Window Seal Kit Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Doubleclutch
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti-rattle/Window Seal Kit Install Question

How do you install the window seal kit on a 1968 f100? I have the LMC kit, part number 49-7115. I removed the armrest, window handle, door handle and the metal access panel but stopped there. It looks like I have to drop the window, but I'm not to sure how to do that. Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:17 PM
spdcat72
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doubleclutch
How do you install the window seal kit on a 1968 f100? I have the LMC kit, part number 49-7115. I removed the armrest, window handle, door handle and the metal access panel but stopped there. It looks like I have to drop the window, but I'm not to sure how to do that. Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Dennis Carpenters website has a good video on how to disassemble the door. Are you replacing the door glass runs also? Disassembly is not rocket science, but it is necessary to replace the glass runs and anti rattles.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Doubleclutch
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the "door glass runs"?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:57 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Doubleclutch
What are the "door glass runs"?
The rubber "whiskers" that the glass slide in. Front,back, and top of glass.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:02 PM
spdcat72
Senior User
I'm expecting all my window and door rubber from Dennis Carpenter to arrive tomorrow. I've been cleaning windows and removing all the old vent window seals. I bet those are gonna be fun to install!

Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by spdcat72
I'm expecting all my window and door rubber from Dennis Carpenter to arrive tomorrow. I've been cleaning windows and removing all the old vent window seals. I bet those are gonna be fun to install!
Oh if your looking for fun just wait till you can double your fun when doing the wind wing seals. Now those are so much fun to install plus having to glued them back into place.

And after all that work on the wing seal installation you'll find that they don't fit worth a damn.

The die they use to make these must have been made from an old shrunken up wind wing seal. That's how well they fit. Very disappointing as they still leak water and have air gaps where it should be wider to fit the door edge better. And I got mine from DC

LMC has the worse rubber products that after a few yrs they crack from the ozone. I've had to replace ALL the LMC window & cab mounts even the gas cab filler neck donut. Any one who uses LMC rubber You'll see!

Orich

Old 07-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spdcat72
The Vent windows aren't to bad to do you just have to that your time and have everything in place before you put any screws back in. Here is a link to a YouTube video that steps you though it. The video shows a 73 - 79 but they go in the same way.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:44 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Gee wish mine just fit into a slot, not like in the video but no they had to be glued into place as this was even DC instructions in the back of their older catalogs.

As, I now have 2013 book and it don't say any thing about gluing them in now. Well maybe the seal is made better today.

This was how it was done before and had to leave it clamped over night.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by orich
Gee wish mine just fit into a slot, not like in the video but no they had to be glued into place as this was even DC instructions in the back of their older catalogs.

As, I now have 2013 book and it don't say any thing about gluing them in now. Well maybe the seal is made better today.

This was how it was done before and had to leave it clamped over night.

I put DC's in my 70 and a 76 I sold about a year ago and didn't have to glue ether of them.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:08 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Good they improve them then as they were a real pain took a few days to do.
Hack, I might re-do mine one of these days.
Orich

Old 07-10-2015, 10:39 PM
spdcat72
Senior User
I finished up the vent window seals tonight. The ones from Carpenter fit perfectly! A little dish soap and they snapped right into place. Contrary to the DC catalog, they included rivets. Once you seperate the glass run from the vent window channel you just drill out the rivets. I took the time to sand and paint the vent window frame and glass frame. I used a piece of bar stock in my vise as an anvil, and peened the new rivets in place using a center punch and drift punch. Tomorrow I'll put them back in the doors.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:34 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Randle how good do the new seals seal. As far as leaking water and covering the base of the door inner & outer areas. As the old new ones still left a gap where you could see into side of the seal just like the 40 yr. old ones did.

Orich

Old 07-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by orich
Randle how good do the new seals seal. As far as leaking water and covering the base of the door inner & outer areas. As the old new ones still left a gap where you could see into side of the seal just like the 40 yr. old ones did.

Orich
They cover the same area as the ones I took out. They are quit no wind noise with them. As for as leaking water, you'll probably laugh but nether truck has ever been in the rain, and I just use detailer and microfiber cloths to clean them. That's sure not the case with my Flareside though. LOL

Old 07-11-2015, 10:14 PM
spdcat72
Senior User
After installing all the door glass, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. While the vent window seals fit the windows just fine, the passenger side seal does leave a small gap at the bottom where they meet the outside of the door. This will indeed leak water. I'm gonna try some black sealant to fill the gap. The driver side is better. It seems like the window opening in the passenger door is wider than the driver side.
Getting all that installed in the door is a monkey puzzle! But I got them both done!

Old 07-11-2015, 10:39 PM
orich
Lead Driver
You maybe right about it being wider. I never measure it. My Right side has a larger gap. My truck was built in San Jose Ca. wonder if that has anything to do with it.
I'll measure my in a day or so just for shxts & Giggles.

I have seen better fitting wing seals on a few trucks out at the PnP= JY

I know the disappointment you feel. And I had to glue them in.
Orich

Quick Reply: Anti-rattle/Window Seal Kit Install Question