Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2000 F-250 A/C Clutch not cycling

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Digging Dog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F-250 A/C Clutch not cycling

I am new here and I have read some posts on this topic but none are exactly the problem I have. I have a 2000 F-250 7.3L diesel we use to tow ourcamper.The problem I am having is thatthe A/C clutch is not cycling and is abnormal compared to other vehicles Iown. The unit cools and the clutch will disengage if youdisconnect the wires to either the refrigerant containment switch or the A/Cclutch cycling pressure switch.Whilerunning the refrigerant pressures are within the gauges normal range on the low andhigh pressure side providing cold air. Is the clutch supposed to be cycling while idling or not and if is should be cycling would the problem be the a/c clutch relay. Unfortunately I have not foundthe location of the a/c clutch relay or a/c head pressure switch (on the Haynes diagrams) to see if thisis the source of my non-cycling clutch problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Roger W

Old 07-09-2015, 11:27 AM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Originally Posted by Digging Dog
I am new here and I have read some posts on this topic but none are exactly the problem I have. I have a 2000 F-250 7.3L diesel we use to tow ourcamper.The problem I am having is thatthe A/C clutch is not cycling and is abnormal compared to other vehicles Iown. The unit cools and the clutch will disengage if youdisconnect the wires to either the refrigerant containment switch or the A/Cclutch cycling pressure switch.Whilerunning the refrigerant pressures are within the gauges normal range on the low andhigh pressure side providing cold air. Is the clutch supposed to be cycling while idling or not and if is should be cycling would the problem be the a/c clutch relay. Unfortunately I have not foundthe location of the a/c clutch relay or a/c head pressure switch (on the Haynes diagrams) to see if thisis the source of my non-cycling clutch problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Roger W
When you say it's not like other problems you read on here, have you read up on removing a shim on the ac? A common cause of the ac clutch cycling on/off/on/off. If thats your problem search for something along the lines of "removing shim from ac clutch"

Old 07-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Digging Dog
New User
Let me rephrase my question another way. When I turn the AC on the clutch engages and stays engaged. My main question is if it is supposed to cycle while cooling and how often. Or does it engage and only cycle off if there is a problem.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Digging Dog
Let me rephrase my question another way. When I turn the AC on the clutch engages and stays engaged. My main question is if it is supposed to cycle while cooling and how often. Or does it engage and only cycle off if there is a problem.
That is dependent upon ambient air, control settings, system charge state, and systems general health.

In order to verify you have an issue at all, it needs to be evaluated by someone with the appropriate gauge set and knowledge of the system.

For example, a defective pressure sensor can cause the system to either stay on or off depending upon which position it has failed in. Identifiable by a higher than normal Low Pressure Reading and so on.

If its cooling, and not freezing the accumulator, filter, or lines, its probably fine. If any of these are occurring, get it checked.

Tom

Old 07-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Digging Dog
New User
Thanks Thomas. I have not seen any freezing of any of the lines or accumulator. I will keep an eye on what you suggested. Thanks again.