2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Towing Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:28 AM
MC_Greenmachine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Mirrors

Hey I've got a question. Will the F-150s towing mirrors fit the expedition or are there any replacement towing mirrors? I hate I mean absolutely HATE the clip on pieces of junk when I tow so much, I like to have the tow mirrors. Anybody know where I could get some?

Old 07-09-2015, 09:27 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on all accounts

Old 07-21-2015, 06:52 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I doubt it.

Many of the body panels are carry overs from previous years. If I am not mistaken, the doors on the '15 are basically 1st gen doors with minor changes. If that is true, you are looking at mirrors that mount like the 97-03 F150. I don't think for ever offered factory tow mirrors for the f150 those years.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:41 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Here is a thread on a previous gen upgrade. If you follow the link to the parts he provided, the company also makes sets of these specific to the 2015.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-of-pics.html

The parts:
http://www.1aauto.com/mirror-pair/i/...=961743&y=2015

Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 AM
Beachums
Tuned
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
Here is a thread on a previous gen upgrade. If you follow the link to the parts he provided, the company also makes sets of these specific to the 2015.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-of-pics.html

The parts:
2015 Ford Expedition Power Heated Puddle Light Memory Turn Signal Telescoping Towing Mirror Pair at 1A Auto.com

I just ordered a set. I hope I can still get them to work. They are claiming that if you have options that are on your vehicle that the mirrors don't list, they will not work at all. I called customer service to confirm this. It seems to me that I got a website interpreter. Not anyone who has specific technical knowledge.
I have the Bliss and the power folding option on my mirrors..... I would expect those to be deleted as, well, it has a blind spot mirror and most tow mirrors do not have a power folding feature.

So we will see when I get these if they are truly plug and play. I will keep you posted.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:51 PM
Danattherock
Freshman User
Following...

Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Well, I got em, installed em, towed with em, and took em right back off.
Here's why.
First off, the positives....All of the functionality that were advertised on the mirrors were there.
The, heat, puddle lamps, turn signal leds and memory functions all worked. It looked like a stock piece.
At slow to moderate speeds, they performed very well.

Now, the negative.... The passenger side main mirror was not convex. Meaning, your field of view was smaller. More importantly, at night, you were easily blinded by the right biased headlights most newer cars have.
Both main mirrors shook most of the time. This was not attributed to the mounting as hinted in another post. It is how the mirror itself is secured to the motorized mechanism. It was almost flimsy.
Now the last negatives I have are not the problem of the manufacturer... it is solely my fault.
Because my XP was equipped with the BLISS and cross traffic alert safety systems, these were not compatible. The compatability issue was on the side of the truck, not the mirror. As these are safety devices, they test themselves at every vehicle start up. The alerts show up in the stock mirrors. Once the system realizes that the indicator is not there, it kicks out an alarm and an actionable alert in your IP that you are required to acknowledge before it will display anything else. One for each system. So for 60k worth of new vehicle, I decided that alarms each and every time I start the truck too much to ask for marginal mirrors

In the end, I decided to remove them and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:59 AM
Kent Smith
New User
Well I am so desperate for integrated towing mirrors, I will see if I can somehow overcome some of the limitations listed. I just ordered my 2016 Expedition and did not select BLIS because I knew I would loose it with these replacements.

On the power extensions, I didn't think the 1A Auto mirrors had that option. Maybe there are multiple models. I was assuming I would go with the manual version since I didn't have a switch integrated in the interior and didn't think it was that critical.

I hope I can somehow resolve any shaking/vibration problem and I'm not sure yet how I will overcome the lack of convex surface. I had not noticed that in the web site.

My 2016 should arrive at the end of the year, so I will likely come back then to post my experience.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:10 AM
Beachums
Tuned
Originally Posted by Kent Smith
Well I am so desperate for integrated towing mirrors, I will see if I can somehow overcome some of the limitations listed. I just ordered my 2016 Expedition and did not select BLIS because I knew I would loose it with these replacements.

On the power extensions, I didn't think the 1A Auto mirrors had that option. Maybe there are multiple models. I was assuming I would go with the manual version since I didn't have a switch integrated in the interior and didn't think it was that critical.

I hope I can somehow resolve any shaking/vibration problem and I'm not sure yet how I will overcome the lack of convex surface. I had not noticed that in the web site.

My 2016 should arrive at the end of the year, so I will likely come back then to post my experience.
I tell you what, you pay for shipping, I will send you the ones I bought. I can't return them because I waited too long. other than my issues pointed out in the review, there is nothing wrong with them.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:32 AM
Kent Smith
New User
Originally Posted by Beachums
I tell you what, you pay for shipping, I will send you the ones I bought. I can't return them because I waited too long. other than my issues pointed out in the review, there is nothing wrong with them.
Sounds like a good deal. I see there are two models. One with memory, and one without. Do you happen to remember which one you bought? Or do you have the part number handy?

I can do a paypal transfer. We can arrange it on a PM.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Originally Posted by Kent Smith
Sounds like a good deal. I see there are two models. One with memory, and one without. Do you happen to remember which one you bought? Or do you have the part number handy?

I can do a paypal transfer. We can arrange it on a PM.
It was the one with the memory. The best one they had.
I am working a lot of hours this week in to next. I likely won't be able to send it out until next week sometime. Shoot me your address via PM. I will ship it to you with the shipping receipt, and you can just send me a check.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:04 PM
cman1120
Senior User
Sorry to hear they didn't work well for you, Beachums. I definitely feel your frustration on the glass shaking though, mine still do that and have since day 1. It doesn't bother me, but then again I am used to driving older trucks which mirrors shake a ton so I guess I am used to it lol

Myself and others who have bought these towing mirrors for our trucks have contacted the manufacturer about these issues and hopefully we will see an improvement in their design with a new run of these mirrors, but I would not hold my breath.

What I would really like to see are some towing mirrors for the new 15+ MY Expeditions that have the same style to them as the new 2015MY F150 towing mirrors that will hopefully work with some of the integrated safety features of the new Expeditions. I for one hope to see these mirrors made available for these trucks, but until then unfortunately the ones that are currently available will have to suffice.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Well my impression of these mirrors are they are good old fashion pirated design made in a country with little or no copyright protection. I would be surprised if the true manufacturer has an interface to the US market. From what I have found it distributes through third party websites.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:36 AM
cman1120
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beachums
Well my impression of these mirrors are they are good old fashion pirated design made in a country with little or no copyright protection. I would be surprised if the true manufacturer has an interface to the US market. From what I have found it distributes through third party websites.
That is most likely true, I had meant to say distributor instead of manufacturer lol I have no idea where exactly they are made.

Lolz at teh post #

Old 02-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Kent Smith
New User
I have since received these mirrors from Beachums and took ownership of my new 2016 Expedition just before Christmas. I installed the mirrors very easily following an online video I found on the net. The mirrors Beachums sent were exactly matched to the features I had ordered in my Ford factory mirrors: Power Adjust, Memory, and Turn Signal (I forgot if they are heated, but I think they are). The install was plug and play. An exact match to my electrical connectors and bolt mounting pattern.

After I put 1000 miles on my Expy, I tested them out towing my trailer and they are fantastic. This is exactly what Ford should be installing on these Expeditions with the full towing package. I am finally satisfied with my towing experience.

Thanks so much Beachums!

I am trying to insert images into this post, but every time I get to the point to actually press the green "Insert" button, nothing appears on the preview. What am I doing wrong here?

Quick Reply: Towing Mirrors