6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 rough running with vibration in 6th gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 12:33 PM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey FTE, Could use some help with an ongoing issue.
2004 Excursion
1st time into a 6.0 for me so I took my time.
Truck has 192000miles. (purchast at 74000 3 yers ago)
PHP Ficm atlas 40, 58V Swamps
SCT Tuned via X4 (recently)(Extreme street at the time)
Synthetic 0w30 summer and 0w40 winter.
FORD filters ALWAYS, 5000mile intervals no pushing it
FORD fuel filters, BOTH regularily.
Studded, AFE Stage 2, Liberty EGR Delete.
42's, 4:88's with Detroit in rear

Starts like this:
Hwy driving and feel a stumble. hmmmm weird, then another, ok that wasn't a bump. Then steady rough idle and a heavy vibration when I lightly got back up to speed to get myself home.
Had new filters so started there. Just changed in the spring here and they were in pretty new condition but swapped them out anyway. Stripping the cap, 120 bucks and had to put a new one on.

Start truck and still rough idle, test drive and still a bad vibration.

SO, I read and search. Scanning with Ford or AE are my number one priorities and they were done along with Fuel pressure check.

Scan revieled Inj 6 out, fuel pressure at 60 PSI. We pulled plugs off injectors with results except 6, confirming it's not working.

Ordered an injector and the Aliant Power rebuild kits to freshen up the other 7.

Disassembled all 7, NO stiction problems at all and all 7 spool valves were clean as a whistle. Bodies of injectors were good on 6 of them and had a screen in cyl 3 what was completely gone (the 3 screens around the body of the injector). Tip was also plugged but one hole. (used brake cleaner in tip and air to confirm 6 holes were clear) Used the body of the core on that injector but not the spool part. Replaced all O-Rings incl the seal inside the top where rail snaps into. Sanded spools (800grit 2-3 turns) and installed same way they came out.
Stem pipes and dummies new as well.

Reassemble, carefully and fire truck. WOW....running abit rough but smoother. Ive read it takes abit to get air out of system and to expect longer cranks ect. Shut it down. INspect for leaks. Button up the ficm, and few other things. Re-fire truck with abit longer of a crank. Fires and running smooth. HERE's where it starts acting up again. I can feel a small stumble....then another....then full time again. Exact same as before. Pull 6 off and it's that injector again.

Here's the big mistake I made. Reinsalling injectors, I put the new one in #4 spot and number 4 in 6's spot. Not smart, I know.

Pulling inj plugs off around entire motor while running and def No 6.

Put things away, call buddy and he says possible FICM. or harness.
So i pull inj harness and OHM every single pin and map it. 100%, I go grab his "good" ficm and test with that. HOLY COW, FOUND IT. Started GREAT.............Then as she warmed up ICP at650ish, EOT ECT getting to 100-110F (only a 4-5* delta always monitor) is starts to vibrate and run rough again. WTFrigamasnaks. I will point out here the testing cranks were waaaaay faster than normal with a stumbly start up. But it does run everytime.

Read some more....OHM testing is one thing, actually load testing harness confirms if it's actually no good. Harness is 450 bucks plus our lovely 13% tax so I want to dilligently cross this bridge. Grab a harness off a running 6.0 and test next day.

Fires up and runs SMOOOOOOTH. THEN, as temps come up it starts again.

Walked away last night and when I fired up this morning. Started great and as she warmed up vibration was back. Along with a intermindent squeak from the turbo housing area.

So I could really use some advise here. I have taptalk on phone now so will monitor replies best I can. Anything else I need to post to help troubleshoot I'll post.

****CODES..... SCT X4 tuner is reading nothing DTC's and hasnt since day one so I "assumed" no codes until buddy scanned with AE and since it's last WiFi update wouldn't connect to computer and gives me errorcode 10007 when I try to tune. **Ended up fixing last night, went into another "Tune revision update" and now connects to my computer AND returned my truck to STOCK and resested truck. STill running rough.

So I plug my PHP FICM tuner and get codes:
P1102 "Unkknown" (reading here I had my AFE off and not plugged in)
P0113 Intake air HI input
P0284 Cyl 8 cont/bal Fault
P0603 Internal control Module KAM error
P0611 FICM Perf (58v swamps, i've read always throws this code and i've had that code since day 1)
P0676 Glow #6 fail

Lastly i'll add, no smoke out tail pipe at all during all testing minus the black puff when tune loaded.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:00 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ATV PRO #11
Hey FTE, Could use some help with an ongoing issue.
2004 Excursion
1st time into a 6.0 for me so I took my time.
Truck has 192000miles. (purchast at 74000 3 yers ago)
PHP Ficm atlas 40, 58V Swamps
SCT Tuned via X4 (recently)(Extreme street at the time)
Synthetic 0w30 summer and 0w40 winter.
FORD filters ALWAYS, 5000mile intervals no pushing it
FORD fuel filters, BOTH regularily.
Studded, AFE Stage 2, Liberty EGR Delete.
42's, 4:88's with Detroit in rear

Starts like this:
Hwy driving and feel a stumble. hmmmm weird, then another, ok that wasn't a bump. Then steady rough idle and a heavy vibration when I lightly got back up to speed to get myself home.
Had new filters so started there. Just changed in the spring here and they were in pretty new condition but swapped them out anyway. Stripping the cap, 120 bucks and had to put a new one on.

Start truck and still rough idle, test drive and still a bad vibration.

SO, I read and search. Scanning with Ford or AE are my number one priorities and they were done along with Fuel pressure check.

Scan revieled Inj 6 out, fuel pressure at 60 PSI. We pulled plugs off injectors with results except 6, confirming it's not working.

Ordered an injector and the Aliant Power rebuild kits to freshen up the other 7.

Disassembled all 7, NO stiction problems at all and all 7 spool valves were clean as a whistle. Bodies of injectors were good on 6 of them and had a screen in cyl 3 what was completely gone (the 3 screens around the body of the injector). Tip was also plugged but one hole. (used brake cleaner in tip and air to confirm 6 holes were clear) Used the body of the core on that injector but not the spool part. Replaced all O-Rings incl the seal inside the top where rail snaps into. Sanded spools (800grit 2-3 turns) and installed same way they came out.
Stem pipes and dummies new as well.

Reassemble, carefully and fire truck. WOW....running abit rough but smoother. Ive read it takes abit to get air out of system and to expect longer cranks ect. Shut it down. INspect for leaks. Button up the ficm, and few other things. Re-fire truck with abit longer of a crank. Fires and running smooth. HERE's where it starts acting up again. I can feel a small stumble....then another....then full time again. Exact same as before. Pull 6 off and it's that injector again.

Here's the big mistake I made. Reinsalling injectors, I put the new one in #4 spot and number 4 in 6's spot. Not smart, I know.

Pulling inj plugs off around entire motor while running and def No 6.

Put things away, call buddy and he says possible FICM. or harness.
So i pull inj harness and OHM every single pin and map it. 100%, I go grab his "good" ficm and test with that. HOLY COW, FOUND IT. Started GREAT.............Then as she warmed up ICP at650ish, EOT ECT getting to 100-110F (only a 4-5* delta always monitor) is starts to vibrate and run rough again. WTFrigamasnaks. I will point out here the testing cranks were waaaaay faster than normal with a stumbly start up. But it does run everytime.

Read some more....OHM testing is one thing, actually load testing harness confirms if it's actually no good. Harness is 450 bucks plus our lovely 13% tax so I want to dilligently cross this bridge. Grab a harness off a running 6.0 and test next day.

Fires up and runs SMOOOOOOTH. THEN, as temps come up it starts again.

Walked away last night and when I fired up this morning. Started great and as she warmed up vibration was back. Along with a intermindent squeak from the turbo housing area.

So I could really use some advise here. I have taptalk on phone now so will monitor replies best I can. Anything else I need to post to help troubleshoot I'll post.

****CODES..... SCT X4 tuner is reading nothing DTC's and hasnt since day one so I "assumed" no codes until buddy scanned with AE and since it's last WiFi update wouldn't connect to computer and gives me errorcode 10007 when I try to tune. **Ended up fixing last night, went into another "Tune revision update" and now connects to my computer AND returned my truck to STOCK and resested truck. STill running rough.

So I plug my PHP FICM tuner and get codes:
P1102 "Unkknown" (reading here I had my AFE off and not plugged in)
P0113 Intake air HI input
P0284 Cyl 8 cont/bal Fault
P0603 Internal control Module KAM error
P0611 FICM Perf (58v swamps, i've read always throws this code and i've had that code since day 1)
P0676 Glow #6 fail

Lastly i'll add, no smoke out tail pipe at all during all testing minus the black puff when tune loaded.
You mention the fuel pressure to be at 60 PSI, is that at idle? It needs to be checked at WOT ( wide open throttle while driving ) and needs to stay above 45 PSI at all times. With number 4 being right next to number 6 it is possible that it was on its way out as well, and from what you have described to me is a problem on the fuel side not the oil side ( stiction ). Stiction is a cold engine problem that normally gets better as the oil heats up. The injectors get damaged on the fuel side by low fuel pressure and poor fuel quality. And based on your codes I would say the FICM has an issue and number 8 injector needs to be replaced. But before you replace any more injectors verify the fuel pressure under WOT driving conditions.
When my fuel pump started going out I had around 55 PSI at idle and still in the 50's while driving until I went WOT then it dropped in the low 30's.
For the P0611 I would send your FICM to Ed at www.FICMrepair.com

Old 07-08-2015, 01:19 PM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by mustang_309
You mention the fuel pressure to be at 60 PSI, is that at idle? It needs to be checked at WOT ( wide open throttle while driving ) and needs to stay above 45 PSI at all times. With number 4 being right next to number 6 it is possible that it was on its way out as well, and from what you have described to me is a problem on the fuel side not the oil side ( stiction ). Stiction is a cold engine problem that normally gets better as the oil heats up. The injectors get damaged on the fuel side by low fuel pressure and poor fuel quality. And based on your codes I would say the FICM has an issue and number 8 injector needs to be replaced. But before you replace any more injectors verify the fuel pressure under WOT driving conditions.
When my fuel pump started going out I had around 55 PSI at idle and still in the 50's while driving until I went WOT then it dropped in the low 30's.
For the P0611 I would send your FICM to Ed at www.FICMrepair.com
Unfortunately the psi gauge isn't readily available for me to use. I will try and get again to confirm the wot. Sat at 60 throughout start up and Reving wot. So he was confident it wasn't a supply issue.

Both ficms I'm using are exact same results. Tends for me to lean against both being out. Again, totally possible. Ed has great reviews, anything wrong with sending swamps way? In Canada here and shipping stateside is a royal, lengthy pita!!

I had stiction issues before switching to full synth. Truck has been running better and better since maintaining with synt and spool valves imho are a testament to that. (I removed the new injectors spool to benchmark and followed "Twoicebergs " vids on utube. Frank has scanned for me in the past with ae.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:46 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ATV PRO #11
Unfortunately the psi gauge isn't readily available for me to use. I will try and get again to confirm the wot. Sat at 60 throughout start up and Reving wot. So he was confident it wasn't a supply issue.

Both ficms I'm using are exact same results. Tends for me to lean against both being out. Again, totally possible. Ed has great reviews, anything wrong with sending swamps way? In Canada here and shipping stateside is a royal, lengthy pita!!

I had stiction issues before switching to full synth. Truck has been running better and better since maintaining with synt and spool valves imho are a testament to that. (I removed the new injectors spool to benchmark and followed "Twoicebergs " vids on utube. Frank has scanned for me in the past with ae.
Revving the engine in park or neutral won't tell you what you need to know, the engine has to be under load and WOT, ford service techs have a tool that simulates this condition in a shop environment without having to drive the truck, but for those of us that don't have access to this tool we have to monitor the fuel pressure while driving at WOT. So get on the interstate on ramp and go WOT until you hit freeway speed while watching the fuel pressure and that will tell you what you need to know.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:30 PM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic

Bump. Anyone cross this bridge before??

Old 07-08-2015, 11:56 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base engine damage test done?

Old 07-09-2015, 12:00 AM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by chetspencer
Base engine damage test done?
No. Nothing of that nature.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:43 PM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic

***UPDATE***
Fuel pressure tested: idle 60psi WOT 55psi
Tested my 58v ficm (54.5v) with test injector: cyl 4 and 6 both dead on buzz test (AE)
Tested buddies ficm (wasn't sure how well it was, reading 47v) and all injectors buzzed.

His Ficm in (cold) started and ran 100% until I hit that 100-110* temp. Then started missing. (Felt like 1 cyl out)

My ficm in and it shook more and fired up with the miss/vibration.

Ordering a ficm from his shop. They have in stock so it works for getting one ASAP rather then send my swamps in for repair. They sell Aliant products there.

Im still worried there may be a injector that hangs up when warm, I can't see the ficm slowly failing on start up to run good like symptoms like described above.

Anyone experience anything like this?

Old 07-09-2015, 07:47 PM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic

Buddies ficm is also a swamps 58v I should add reading 47ish. Koeo, start and running.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you replace the FICM relay? It def sounds like a injector is going out. I'm not a fan of 58v FICM as I feel it's hard on the spool valve coils. You need a contrabution test too to tell or your just wasting your time and money throwing parts at it

Old 07-10-2015, 11:59 AM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Per4mance
Did you replace the FICM relay? It def sounds like a injector is going out. I'm not a fan of 58v FICM as I feel it's hard on the spool valve coils. You need a contrabution test too to tell or your just wasting your time and money throwing parts at it
Relay is newer.
Pulled ficm apart before heading to the concrete village today. Def burnt on logic side. Smelt it as soon as I cracked it. Split case and confirmed.
Bought a rebuilt one from local turbo shop.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:56 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Same issue so curious to see what happens

Old 07-10-2015, 01:05 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Except my rocker and bumper are black from all the smoke I'm getting and I see you are not getting any. Hmm

Old 07-10-2015, 01:33 PM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by acf6
Except my rocker and bumper are black from all the smoke I'm getting and I see you are not getting any. Hmm
There was no smoke at all during all troubleshooting. Ecu is back to stock so not even a puff of black when I did the fuel pressure check.

Smoke with those issues I've read is usually EGR. I'm no expert but def a heck of a lot more knowledgable.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:41 PM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Per4mance
Curious, with the 58v, all checks passed with flying colours (3 volt and sync). Reading/watching dieseltechron all components of all ficms are rated at 48v and with 58v pushing all the internal limits. Leaves me wondering if it just failed from age (I have 125000 miles of my own never mind po) or there's more of a problem causing it to fail on the logic side.
Mine was Swamps number 345 so it's an older one. Buddies swamps was a #1974 so there's must be a lot out there.

Also I'll add I've rebuilt al my injectors minus 1 and spool valves were all clean as the new one I bought. Minus injector 1, wasn't dirty with varnish but felt like a slight bur on the very outside edge.
I took vids of one I cracked out and will upload and share if anyone wants to see. I followed another forum members vids when I did it.

Quick Reply: 6.0 rough running with vibration in 6th gear