6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

The appeal of RV'ing...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 08:33 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question The appeal of RV'ing...

I though it would make for a great topic since I see so many 6.7 owners with RVs.

Growing up I have such fond memories of the Rockys, Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, and so many other beautiful places both nationally and internationally. I really want my children to experience such memories while we are all still together. I can't wait to hit the road and start building our own RV memories and turning some of the new technology off for a while.

What about you?

Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 PM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what you mean. We camp a lot. Approximately every 3 weeks all year long. Living in California makes for good all year camping weather. My little ones enjoy it, they're 6 and 12, and learn a ton during our trips.

We leave on the 17th for a two week trip through the Sequoias, Yosemite, Monterey and San Francisco.

It's my first long trip in my 15 DRW F350. Did Yellowstone last summer in my 6.0 so looking forward to the improvement of tow vehicle.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:33 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The 6.7 and the SD chassis is the best combo out there for any towing.

We are heading out to Daytona beach at 3:00am! Timely thread.

We are planning a SW trip in 2016, NW trip in 2017. Hope my 2007 5th wheel holds together.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:53 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
It's our second home but yet it moves... Sometimes I go out to the pad where it's parked when I'm home and "camp" for an hour or so for no reason at all. Love it...

Old 07-07-2015, 10:11 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I had enough land for a pad..... I'm going to have to keep it in covered storage. I need to buy some land from my neighbor across the street....

Old 07-07-2015, 10:50 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
We camp as much as we can, mostly on our retirement land in Washington. Just got back from 10 days up there.
ALL of our vacations when the kids were growing up were camping vacations. They talked about it over the 4th of July at the land around the campfire. We have instilled a strong connection with the land and open spaces with our kids. They love to camp and visit this great country's natural wonders. Spending time on the water and eating crab is just the icing on the cake.
Get a RV, and make some memories with those kids.
Pat

Old 07-08-2015, 05:20 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 889 Likes on 322 Posts
Agreed. Getting ready to leave for a 25 day camp later today. As a side note, we were camping for 2 weeks in June, coming home on Fathers day. Came home to broken pipe (normally shut the water off, but kids were coming/going), and have been living in the trailer in the driveway ever since while the reconstuction work is going on. I would hate to think what it would be like living at a hotel this long.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:08 AM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree with all. We take the trailer out as much as we can. Leaving soon for a week down in Oregon with family and friends. The F350/6.7 makes towing so nice. Can't wait for retirement when we'll be moving to a 5th wheel and traveling much more.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
I agree that camping is good for the whole family, we never had a trailer growing up, but we did camp in the mountains in many occasions in a tent which are great memories. Now with the truck and trailer it does make things more convenient and I know my son is seeing things most kids miss out on.

We just got back from a road trip that we drove up to Yellowstone, then headed over to the big horn mountains in eastern Wyoming (where I grew up) and from there to Devils Tower, Sturgis, and then to Hill City to go check out Mount Rushmore and Wall Drug in South Dakota.

The truck worked great and the memories will last a lifetime. I wish I could take off more than a week at a time but we still made it work and we will probably go back to South Dakota next summer to check out what we missed on this trip.

Leon

Old 07-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now I tent and camp. Been doing it this way for over 10 years.
I found some of the places I wanted to camp are far to remote and rough to bring in any sort of RV.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:33 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
You guys can talk about 5 er's all day long and the kids and grandkids. So this is aimed at those like my wife and I who do not have families nor ever had any kids, but we do have '5'er's'...Buddy, Camo, Daisy, Little Boy, BaBa. Coon hound, 3 doxies, and a 4 lb Yorkie.

We all travel in our Arctic Fox 1150 Truck Camper; only Buddy weighs in at more than 12 lbs, 75 lbs in his case.

We have a walk-in shower, oven, 3 burner stove top, solar panel on roof, satellite dome on top, microwave/convection unit, 23 in TV and a slide that gives us ample room and yes we have done as long as a 3 mo stay in it.

So if you ever find yourself wanting or needing a smaller space this is the way to go IMO.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:41 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
You guys can talk about 5 er's all day long and the kids and grandkids. So this is aimed at those like my wife and I who do not have families nor ever had any kids, but we do have '5'er's'...Buddy, Camo, Daisy, Little Boy, BaBa. Coon hound, 3 doxies, and a 4 lb Yorkie.

We all travel in our Arctic Fox 1150 Truck Camper; only Buddy weighs in at more than 12 lbs, 75 lbs in his case.

We have a walk-in shower, oven, 3 burner stove top, solar panel on roof, satellite dome on top, microwave/convection unit, 23 in TV and a slide that gives us ample room and yes we have done as long as a 3 mo stay in it.

So if you ever find yourself wanting or needing a smaller space this is the way to go IMO.

I have one of those too , 17 oaks. No slide though. It gets a bit tight with two 75# dogs, 2 kids and 2 adults. We like to use it on our beach trips or quick overnight runs.

We took it to Yellowstone last year. This is when we were at the Grand Tetons.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:47 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
You know they now make those things with as many as 3 slides, like opening up a ball room. We do love our TC, but what I FAIL to understand is how they sell those 5'er's at under $30k and to buy a TC its an arm and leg????

Old 07-08-2015, 10:52 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
You know they now make those things with as many as 3 slides, like opening up a ball room. We do love our TC, but what I FAIL to understand is how they sell those 5'er's at under $30k and to buy a TC its an arm and leg????
Sticker shock is definitely an understatement when looking at TC's. I agree about the difference in price between the towables and TC's.

We really like the Host line of TC's. They now have a quad slide model (yikes).

With two RV's I'm fine with a lower end basic camper. We rarely use it but enjoy how easy they are to camp with.

Good to see another TC fan slumming it in the 6.7 forum LOL

Old 07-08-2015, 11:02 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
We were on the edge of buying a Host Mammoth just a few weeks ago but could not find what we wanted in stock and ordering one just did not work due to our travel schedule for business and the house remodel. We wanted to go up to Or to pick it up and also save the sales tax x 6.25%...even tho the rd trip would negate the savings.

We will relook in a couple of years I am thinking, nothing wrong with our AF, but we wanted a 2 or 3 slide unit.

Quick Reply: The appeal of RV'ing...