Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

I gotta say - these Chevy ads are pretty effective

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:27 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Very interesting Alex, but your explanation makes sense. Cost should go down over time if that proves to be the case as equipment and experience for working on aluminum becomes more common.

TrueCar would suggest otherwise. They are showing another $1,000 in factory incentives on the Chevy, but dealers taking more money off the Ford. The two trucks aren't exactly equal, the Ford has a lesser MSRP, but even with the cost disparity there's more of a discount on the Ford.

If that were true it would make a difference to me. I'd happily save thousands and choose the Chevy if it was that kind of price difference. You can take your brand loyalty home and park it in the driveway, I prefer to take mine to the bank.
I find this info important only to the people who feel the need to acquire a new vehicle every 2-3 years. How many vehicles have you had in the last five years Tom?

I'm not Ford's best customer. I don't purchase enough to help or hurt them but when I do purchase, it's well researched, expertly negotiated and meticulously maintained to last the 15+ years that I expect from a new vehicle.
Watching my dad toil over his GM's back in the day made me sick. While he was having them repaired, my F-150's were solidly running hundreds of thousands of miles with little issue. My loyalty lies with past experience and past excellent customer support.

However, if I were a business person in need of a truck then I would be required to make the responsible choice. I hope Ford would step up and earn the business.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
How many vehicles have you had in the last five years Tom?
Seven not including my wife's two. It's a sickness.

My only point is that GM isn't giving them away, and at the moment Fords are being discounted more than GM models are. That's all.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:20 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The thing I find comical in this is that GM did not learn from their previous mistake using Ad's like these.

Let's take the ''man step'' for example, When Ford integrated that in their trucks, GM made these advertisements that directly attacked the man step, insinuating real mean don't need a wussy step like that to get things out of the bed of their truck.

Here's the commercial.

So we have this guy who drive's a Ford...(Obviously a beta male who pales in comparison to the masculinity that ooze's from Howie Long.) Who fumble's about trying to and I might add, very VERY incorrectly load this prefab birdhouse into the back of his F-150.

Then we got Howie Long on the other hand...A real man's man slamming concrete bag's down in the bed of his built like a rock Chevrolet Silverado who indirectly insults the Ford owners masculinity, while simultaneously reminding him to put up his ''little man step''.

Then of course there was the Max and Al commercial's they did...Won't divulge to much into those one's but it essentially revolved around duraMAX and ALlison in their human conception talking crap about the Ford Powerstroke.

And now we have the whole Steel vs Aluminum argument, I've already heard rumors that GM is planning to convert over to Aluminum by the 2018 model year for their next Gen Silverado's, which I find hilarious. People will then look back on these advertisements and say the same things they say now about how GM added a man step to the Silverado after bashing Ford for innovating it.

Ford is blazing the trail, which is ironic considering GM once produced a vehicle aptly named the Trailblazer.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:33 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Tom
Seven not including my wife's two. It's a sickness.

My only point is that GM isn't giving them away, and at the moment Fords are being discounted more than GM models are. That's all.
Understood Tom and I have the same sickness, believe me. If I could get away with trading out every three years or so I'd do it. But my bride won't let me.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:47 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That Chevy commercial with the bear was pretty awesome. I'm running for the steel cage too but there's no way I'd buy an Obama motors vehicle.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 07-11-2015, 08:32 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Perhaps Ford should do the same demonstration utilizing a shark cage with both cages exposed to salt water for one year.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:45 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Perhaps Ford should do the same demonstration utilizing a shark cage with both cages exposed to salt water for one year.
Salt still corrodes Aluminum sadly. So it would still have the same outcome.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:30 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
What's real sad here, is heard that GM gave him a brand new truck in response to his making these stupid videos.

Now we have this guy making videos fighting back with amiri king.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:34 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Maybe it's time Ford makes a newer version of this video. I laugh every time I watch it.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:58 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
Salt still corrodes Aluminum sadly. So it would still have the same outcome.
Aluminum does not corrode nearly as fast as steel. As a matter of fact all the boat trailer manufactures here along the Gulf coast pretty much got away from galvanized steel trailers for aluminum trailers. My aluminum trailer is 12 years old and ever steel component has been replacement twice now whereas the aluminum parts are still all original.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:14 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
The super structures of all Naval and Coast Guard ships are made of aluminum and consider the pounding that these boats take.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:28 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Same with the boats designed to run in shallow rocky water.

The first 10 seconds of this video says it all.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:06 PM
Ancona
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
The super structures of all Naval and Coast Guard ships are made of aluminum and consider the pounding that these boats take.
Really? Who told you that?

Aircraft carriers are the largest/strongest ships in the Navy, and they all have steel superstructures. Aircraft Carriers (CV / CVN)

So do other large Navy ships. Such as LHDs, LHAs, LSDs, LPDs, Oilers and Cargo.

The only ones that have aluminum super structures are some of the smaller ones. Like Cruisers and Frigates (Not Destroyers - they too are steel).

And aluminum superstructures had problems with cracking, "as being attributed to (1) stress concentrations/aluminum fatigue, and (2) material degradation (sensitization) of the aluminum alloys." Aluminum Superstructure Task Force.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:32 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Ancona
Really? Who told you that?

Aircraft carriers are the largest/strongest ships in the Navy, and they all have steel superstructures. Aircraft Carriers (CV / CVN)

So do other large Navy ships. Such as LHDs, LHAs, LSDs, LPDs, Oilers and Cargo.

The only ones that have aluminum super structures are some of the smaller ones. Like Cruisers and Frigates (Not Destroyers - they too are steel).

And aluminum superstructures had problems with cracking, "as being attributed to (1) stress concentrations/aluminum fatigue, and (2) material degradation (sensitization) of the aluminum alloys." Aluminum Superstructure Task Force.
Thanks for linking that sir, I stand informed.

Quick Reply: I gotta say - these Chevy ads are pretty effective