Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dana 50 TTB re-assembly help request...did I say HELP..????

Old 07-05-2015, 11:16 AM
wtrbrdm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dana 50 TTB re-assembly help request...did I say HELP..????

I purchased a 1994 F250 Supercab (5.8) 4x4 (205k miles and rusty) a few weeks ago as a second vehicle. Immediately I put her in the garage and completed maintenance (shocks, oil/filter, fuel filter, plugs, cap, rotor, pcv, drained and refilled diffs, auto tranny incl. the torque converter, transfer case, etc)...I also replaced all tie rod ends and drag link, rotors and pads, along with sway bar end links and bushings.

Most all of the parts looked factory....so I decided, why not do ball joints. I pulled everything apart and replaced the balljoints and adjustable cambercaster bushings, as well as the axle shaft u-joints. That was all easy compared to my current dilemma...which is puzzling me, as it should be super simple.....re-assembly. I do have new bearings to install.

When I pulled the axle/spindle nuts, the outboard wheel bearing fell right out. I pulled the assembly and noticed that the oil seal in the back of the hub was flush with the *** end of the hub instead of being a tad countersunk. I popped it out and the inboard bearing fell right out.

When removing the spindle, shocker, I got frustrated and may have been a bit aggressive with the sledge and hit it in a few places. I'm curious as to where exactly the bearings ride on the spindle, as I'll be able to determine if I need a new spindle based on where my idiot marks are. As you can see in the pic, the inboard bearing won't go any further in on the spindle. The pic shows a rough idea of how it all sits in the hub. I'm just guessing but the bearings should ride on the smooth areas of the spindle...not the ones with the lines...correct? Also, can I re-use the spindle if I've nicked those areas...as long as there are no burs or will that just wear out my bearings faster? This truck will be driven around town and a few and far between road trips...so not a DD.

Will it all slide into place, even the bearing, when I assemble it? I tried to do a rough mock up on the bench, but the spindle won't slide all the way into the hub....hangs up on the bearing which won't go further than in the pic. I checked the spindle, but there are no marks around the area where the inboard bearing seems to be sticking. Also, should that oil seal be countersunk in the back to not allow that inboard bearing in/out movement when installed? Looking at the Dana 50 serivice pdf, they indeed use that countersink tool (which can be homemade using the galvanized pipe).

Frustrating follow up...I can't find a replacement part for that dust shield/seal which flops around at the u-joint outboard on the axle stub. Did Ford "upgrade" that crappy seal?

Here's the mock up.....where do the bearings ride and you can see where the inner bearing stops. Should that oil seal sit a bit lower (countersunk) where the red arrow is and the bearing ride where the blue arrow is? Link may be a better/bigger pic.

https://imageshack.com/i/p5tCWeTsj

Here's how that oil/grease seal sat...shouldn't it be countersunk a tad?
https://imageshack.com/i/p8J9hezPj

Old 07-05-2015, 11:17 AM
wtrbrdm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....and let me say thanks in advance. I used this forum a ton the past few days while doing all of the work....

Old 07-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
here ya go, the dana Guide.
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5326.PDF