Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How do you drive for best economy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:30 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
This should help at least one problem here's the thread I started back when I had my problem
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nsmission.html

Old 07-08-2015, 10:42 AM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
This should help at least one problem here's the thread I started back when I had my problem
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nsmission.html
This is my theory of what happens.

When I floor it with my PHP CHIP on 120 race it will downshift but revs will be at 2800 but the truck stops pulling hard and it tries to shift at 3000 but it bucks hard when it tries to shift and doesnt shift so it kinda hangs at 3000 not accelerating until I let off the throttle. When I monitored it I saw that ipr duty cycle was at 60% and I believe Injector pulse width was above 6.0ms.

So kinda thinking aloud, I'm thinking that more throttle demands either too much fuel from my 250k injectors or demands more oil than my hpop can pump out? Am I going in the right direction?

So then the transmission gets confused and tries to shift but it doesn't because its not picking up speed. And also my PHP chip is NOT custom tuned it only has their base files. I can go up a pretty steep hill going 55 and I dont notice my tachometer and it doesn't move while pulling up hill, not does it downshift from overdrive it stays locked in. I will get the torque converter slip numbers and report back here later.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:21 PM
HarleyTom
New User
driving my 2000 f250 7,3l 4x4 with 18,3 mpg....mixed... 285/75 tires, no tuning.... and in austria we are allowed to drive 130 km/h on our highways! ;-)
my tactic is, start gently from crossroads or trafficlights, keep the truck under 1500 rpm and use the cruisecontrol when ever possible...
but my big opportunity is, that my f250 is very rar in my country, so i can drive it slowly and no one will say i am a grandpa!!! everyone admires me and my truck, and loves to watch me "cruisin´my truck" ;-)

Old 07-10-2015, 08:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarbee95
...I have tapping sounds and when I give it a lot of throttle it actually slows down like I stated above. But if I give it ~40% throttle it will accelerate faster?

Last time I stomped on it from a dead stop it took off fine but when it went to shift into second it slowed and jerked really damn hard and went slower it was a horrible feeling and the tranny got warm quick so It probably slipped a lot and that scared me it was also going up a not steep at all hill. And the injector pinging has gotten a little bit louder... ...I feel like giving it a lot of throttle works the injectors too hard because they will knock after I let off.
I was going to say you have all the classic symptoms of a "hot" tune, then you posted this:

This is my theory of what happens.

When I floor it with my PHP CHIP on 120 race... ...When I monitored it I saw that ipr duty cycle was at 60% and I believe Injector pulse width was above 6.0ms....
Yup.... Stop that. The stock injectors have about 60 HP in reserve above stock tune - and that's it. If one were to peruse the web sites that vend "legitimate" tunes above a 60 HP gain, you will find the fine print that states the those gains are only attainable with more substantial modifications to the fuel and air systems. Many people don't read the fine print, they just go "Oooh! Big horsepower in a chip! I want that!" I don't know if it would help to post the limitations in psychedelic-colored font bigger than the picture of the chip, once the testosterone sets in.

That loud ping after a WOT run? That's a Stinky Spike in full play. With extremely few exceptions, you can expect these symptoms any time the FIPW goes over 3 ms... which is all the longer you want the fueling cycle to last as the piston is fleeing the fire.

Here are the Torque settings and their explanations. [LINK] One has to be careful to pay attention to the default mins/maxes because Torque is generic for gassers and diesels. 10,000 RPM max on the RPMs... on a 7.3L? That would be a very dull gauge.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:27 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I average 14.5-15.5 on my drive to work. 20 miles total, 12 at 60-65 mph and 8 in 35mph or so. That's on the factory set "75hp" tune on the ts chip. Straight highway I've seen 18 but that was at 70mph on a good cool day with nice dense air and just me in the truck.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:08 PM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I was going to say you have all the classic symptoms of a "hot" tune, then you posted this:

Yup.... Stop that. The stock injectors have about 60 HP in reserve above stock tune - and that's it. If one were to peruse the web sites that vend "legitimate" tunes above a 60 HP gain, you will find the fine print that states the those gains are only attainable with more substantial modifications to the fuel and air systems. Many people don't read the fine print, they just go "Oooh! Big horsepower in a chip! I want that!" I don't know if it would help to post the limitations in psychedelic-colored font bigger than the picture of the chip, once the testosterone sets in.

That loud ping after a WOT run? That's a Stinky Spike in full play. With extremely few exceptions, you can expect these symptoms any time the FIPW goes over 3 ms... which is all the longer you want the fueling cycle to last as the piston is fleeing the fire.

Here are the Torque settings and their explanations. [LINK] One has to be careful to pay attention to the default mins/maxes because Torque is generic for gassers and diesels. 10,000 RPM max on the RPMs... on a 7.3L? That would be a very dull gauge.
This is exactly what I have been waiting for someone to explain to me!!! I figured the reason the truck would feel slower was because it just couldnt keep up with the demand. And I know I won't gain the full 140hp with stock splits and hpop those settings are just smoke and high egts and rough shifting but I get better economy on those tunes than my 80DD

Old 07-10-2015, 02:17 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
My mileage goes down the tubes in a hurry on the higher tunes. Lots of smoke like you said and rough shifts and you can almost WATCH the fuel needle move.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:28 PM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Originally Posted by varminthunter243
My mileage goes down the tunes in a hurry on the higher tunes. Lots of smoke like you said and rough shifts and you can almost WATCH the fuel needle move.
Hmm what kind of chip do you have? If you drive easy you shouldnt get smoke. When I run a hot tune 120hp shifts the smoother than 140hp and the rpms shift around 1800-2200 and still get 14.5 I usually get 250mi at half a tank then it drops to 1/4 quickly and stays there for about 100 miles then starts dropping at 400mi and that wasn't even babying it

Old 07-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
When I first got into the tuning aspect on my mostly-stock truck (air mods only), I noticed better 0-80 times (leaving the SOTP-O-Meter out of it), less smoke, and lower EGTs with the 60 HP tune than with the 80 HP tune. Once I discovered this anomaly, I started digging deep into the "why" of it. That was the catalyst for my affinity for diesel data.

If you have a 60 HP DD or E in your inventory, give that a whirl.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 PM
kbarbee95
Senior User
When I first got into the tuning aspect on my mostly-stock truck (air mods only), I noticed better 0-80 times (leaving the SOTP-O-Meter out of it), less smoke, and lower EGTs with the 60 HP tune than with the 80 HP tune. Once I discovered this anomaly, I started digging deep into the "why" of it. That was the catalyst for my affinity for diesel data.

If you have a 60 HP DD or E in your inventory, give that a whirl.
I finally got some torque converter readings under throttle I see 3-15 rpms of slip heavy throttle getting on the highway, and when I let off throttle I see 15-25 rpm of slip. Sound pretty good?

Small screenshot of on ramp where I put the throttle down and let off then back on then the again

Old 07-16-2015, 06:12 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
That depends on your Torque formula. I don't have TC slip above about 4 or 5, and those spikes are usually because of the time it takes to sample each PID.

Torque Converter Slip
Short Name: Slip
PID: 2211b8
Units: RPM
Max/Min: Max 1000.0/0.0 **
Equation: ((A*256)+B)/4
**I use this max to watch idle in gear. Torque Converter will not lock until Transmission Temp exceeds about 50 - 60 degrees F, you are in Drive, and moving at least 35 MPH (Torque Converter Lock Up - depending on your tune and conditions).

Old 07-16-2015, 09:01 AM
kbarbee95
Senior User
That depends on your Torque formula. I don't have TC slip above about 4 or 5, and those spikes are usually because of the time it takes to sample each PID.

Torque Converter Slip
Short Name: Slip
PID: 2211b8
Units: RPM
Max/Min: Max 1000.0/0.0 **
Equation: ((A*256)+B)/4
**I use this max to watch idle in gear. Torque Converter will not lock until Transmission Temp exceeds about 50 - 60 degrees F, you are in Drive, and moving at least 35 MPH (Torque Converter Lock Up - depending on your tune and conditions).
My equation was ((A*256)+B)*0.6103
What does the "/4" do instead of "*.6103"? I did see a lot of 4 rpm slip which for 250k id say is good. I think converter was replaced a while back though

Old 07-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys get over 2k rpms? Any time I get that high I start thinking Ohh, that's gonna cost me! There's no one I need to outrun that's worth my hard earned cash.

Our best mileage on a ZF6 is 18.3 in town. That's with shifting to neutral when coasting to stop lights, down hills, etc. and shifting at 1500 rpms. IDK what the highway miles would be since we haven't really been driving on the highway except for 2 days of "practice" so the teen can learn to avoid the idiots.

Last time we did highway miles it was 17.something, but that was before I cleaned her up and got her running right.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:55 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
It's a ts 6 position chip with the canned tunes. Stock 50hp 75hp 100hp 140hp and anti theft. The smoke clears up once the turbo catches up but if you're not runnin wot it still hazes pretty good. Someday it'll have custom tunes. I suspect a better flowing intake would help too.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:21 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
My equation was ((A*256)+B)*0.6103
What does the "/4" do instead of "*.6103"? I did see a lot of 4 rpm slip which for 250k id say is good. I think converter was replaced a while back though
I tried a little logic on that. When comparing Torque with AE, the Torque numbers didn't make sense - where the AE numbers did. Since the tach plays a role in the equation, I tinkered with dividing the output by numbers involving 2 and 8 - thinking Powerstroke vs. 4-stroke on an 8-cylinder engine. Dividing by 4 nailed the result - it matches my AE, and the readout makes sense.

For your own confirmation, compare RPM with slip while at a stoplight.

Quick Reply: How do you drive for best economy?