Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How do you drive for best economy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:21 AM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you drive for best economy?

I have read that keeping egts under 600* is best for economy but I find that to be extremely hard trying to get up to 55mph even on flat roads! What happens is at 40mph my egts hit right at 600* and this is being barely on the throttle and also acceleration comes to a crawl, to get to 45 they have to at least hit 700* and the same thing from 50-55 mph.

Now I have no trouble accelerating but egts will always be 700* - 800* and I average 13mpg mixed driving.

So how do you drive to get the best economy?
And when you drive like that is your acceleration very slow too?
I feel like a grandpa driving and all yhe cars moving over to pass me because it takes ages to get to the speed limit and I have a php tuner but its the same thing at every setting. Let me have your insight on this topic please.
Thank you, Kenneth

Old 07-05-2015, 10:38 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EBP sensor and clean the supply tube from the manifold.

I have a 99 f350 4x4 CCLB ZF6 leveled on 35's. Driving mostly stop and go, city type commute I average 17.5 MPG. Highway 68-70 MPH around 20. I do not accelerate fast, rpm's less than 2K. In other words, I grandpa the thing.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:47 AM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Originally Posted by jetdoc
EBP sensor and clean the supply tube from the manifold.

I have a 99 f350 4x4 CCLB ZF6 leveled on 35's. Driving mostly stop and go, city type commute I average 17.5 MPG. Highway 68-70 MPH around 20. I do not accelerate fast, rpm's less than 2K. In other words, I grandpa the thing.
This is the first time I'm trying to drive like a grandpa and its not too bad but I swear a snail can accelerate faster and I keep my rpms under 1800 with the 80DD setting

Old 07-05-2015, 05:44 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
What other mods have been done to the truck? A 12" lift and huge tires will get worse mileage than a stock set up.

What are your driving conditions and habits? Driving like a grandpa is fine, but if you get to your destination before the truck is fully warmed up, you're not going to get good fuel economy. If you go drive 200 miles at 55 mph what kind of fuel economy do you get? Are you hand calculating it or trusting the lie-o-meter?

Adding more HP with a chip rarely gets you better fuel mileage, so consider doing some base runs without the PHP.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Jetdoc that's dam good, but I do see you have a ZF6. No auto will get that with you truck. I have to say I do have 4.10 gears because of LS diff. It's as high gear as was available with the e99 back then.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:41 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ride shot gun

Old 07-05-2015, 08:33 PM
bob yankus
New User
[QUOTE=jetdoc;15479269]EBP sensor and clean the supply tube from the manifold.

How exactlly does this tube and sensor effect the engine's performance?

I have deleted both on my OBS with no problems (24.8 mpg @ 60 mph).

Currently trouble shooting a 2001 with mileage issues.

FYI - Removing the backpressure butterfly has created no problems even in Canadian winters.

Bob

Old 07-05-2015, 10:29 PM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
What other mods have been done to the truck? A 12" lift and huge tires will get worse mileage than a stock set up.

What are your driving conditions and habits? Driving like a grandpa is fine, but if you get to your destination before the truck is fully warmed up, you're not going to get good fuel economy. If you go drive 200 miles at 55 mph what kind of fuel economy do you get? Are you hand calculating it or trusting the lie-o-meter?

Adding more HP with a chip rarely gets you better fuel mileage, so consider doing some base runs without the PHP.
Stock everything except 285/75/R16 and stock I would get 10mpg lol.
I dont have a lie o meter and on a 300 mile trip going 70 I got 18.8 mpg with half a tank left. When I fill up I use the same pump and fill all the way until the fuel starts coming over the lip of where the cap screws into and yea I drive only about 7-8 miles to work so I doubt it fully warms up but I will see with this tank how it goes

Old 07-05-2015, 11:40 PM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
Ride shot gun
Infinite mpg's

Old 07-06-2015, 06:57 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm seeing conflicting numbers - like 10 MPG and driving 300 miles on 1/2 tank. We don't have 60 gallon tanks, so I suspect while translating between L/100 Km, MPG, Miles, and Kilometers, things are getting a bit mixed.

It's OK to use the numbers you are familiar with, and those of us on the silly Imperial system can sort it out.

If you want improved L/100 Km, you first have to know if the odometer is accurate, and then you move on to the rest of the truck being 100%. I have seen no method for improved economy work better than an accurate odo, a 100% truck, and reasonable foot control. Aerodynamics play a role to be sure - lifted trucks suck the sauce, and air dams sip it - but the big three have the most impact on a 3500 Kg vehicle.

ODO - this is the most common cause of "bad" fuel economy, because so many people like bigger tires and they overlook resetting the odometer calibration.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:43 PM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I'm seeing conflicting numbers - like 10 MPG and driving 300 miles on 1/2 tank. We don't have 60 gallon tanks, so I suspect while translating between L/100 Km, MPG, Miles, and Kilometers, things are getting a bit mixed.

It's OK to use the numbers you are familiar with, and those of us on the silly Imperial system can sort it out.

If you want improved L/100 Km, you first have to know if the odometer is accurate, and then you move on to the rest of the truck being 100%. I have seen no method for improved economy work better than an accurate odo, a 100% truck, and reasonable foot control. Aerodynamics play a role to be sure - lifted trucks suck the sauce, and air dams sip it - but the big three have the most impact on a 3500 Kg vehicle.

ODO - this is the most common cause of "bad" fuel economy, because so many people like bigger tires and they overlook resetting the odometer calibration.
I'm in the us so I go by miles, I used to get 10mpg (mixed driving 7 miles to work) with the 285/75 tires before the chip this was because with the torque converter unlocked revs would be over 2k and would hit 2300 to get some acceleration going up hill since I live in a hilly area. I had posted a question about if a chip would help and I remember you commenting on the thread. Now with the chip I can get 13-14 mpg (mixed driving) because the revs are controlled more and dont go over 2k. Highway I got 18.9 (265 miles/14gal) this last time I took the drive home going 70-72 mph 3.73 gears. And I fill up to the top and hand calculate and I did get the odometer recalibrated it was off by 1mph before had it recalibrated. Youve helped me out a couple of times and I really appreciate it Tugly.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:58 PM
River19
Elder User
How do I drive for best fuel economy?

I drive from behind he steering wheel of a new Rav4 and enjoy 28-32mpg highway lol

In my 7.3L it was all about staying below 2K rpm.....she gets thirsty above that.....fun but thirsty. With 3.73s that would put you at about 66-68mph range on the highway.

Plus eliminate all the extra weight we drag around......I used to carry a lot of extra tools and parts in my rig. Heavy tires and lifts certainly don't help.....swapped to 285s and saw some improvement over my old 305s.

Winter blend would eat 1-2mpg easy from my tanks.

So unless you have a LurkerX unicorn-mobile and get 25 mpg in something as aerodynamic as a dumpster, then it is about driving like an egg is under your foot and everything is working optimally.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:01 PM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Originally Posted by River19
How do I drive for best fuel economy?

I drive from behind he steering wheel of a new Rav4 and enjoy 28-32mpg highway lol

In my 7.3L it was all about staying below 2K rpm.....she gets thirsty above that.....fun but thirsty. With 3.73s that would put you at about 66-68mph range on the highway.

Plus eliminate all the extra weight we drag around......I used to carry a lot of extra tools and parts in my rig. Heavy tires and lifts certainly don't help.....swapped to 285s and saw some improvement over my old 305s.

Winter blend would eat 1-2mpg easy from my tanks.

So unless you have a LurkerX unicorn-mobile and get 25 mpg in something as aerodynamic as a dumpster, then it is about driving like an egg is under your foot and everything is working optimally.
Ahhhhh your post was too funny! My rear bumper is made of 1/4 steel and is a upside down U so it probably weighs around 250lbs I'm sure that doesn't help but when I got rear ended from the side I didnt get a single scratched but it tore the whole side left front fender out of the car! Wasn't my fault btw

Old 07-06-2015, 03:11 PM
River19
Elder User
I think it comes down to what these rigs are and are not.......

IF and that is a big friggin' IF....they were truely routinely capable of 20+mpg it would be well documented over the last 16 years or so.......so like bigfoot, I'm not saying he doesn't exist, I'm just saying I haven't seen proof.

What the 7.3L really can be is a very capable tow pig that drives like a truck, is loud like a truck and has all the cold weather complications that people think of when they think of diesels. But for most, start when they turn the key and even when broken, will probably get you home......speaking purely of the engine.

It is also a 7000-8500lb (depending on how much crap you tote around) aerodynamic brick with an old 4 speed OD transmission not built for maxium fuel economy by today's standards. So realistically, from what I've seen 14city to 18 highway would be about what I would expect for an average running 7.3L. capable occasionally of slightly more but mine was consistently 16.5mpg in mixed summer driving and 13-14mpg towing our horses.

But most don't buy a big heavy diesel for fuel economy.....

but what the heck do I know.....

Old 07-06-2015, 03:29 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by River19
......so like bigfoot, I'm not saying he doesn't exist, I'm just saying I haven't seen proof.
Hey now, don't be disrespecting 'da foot' by comparing him to some urban legend

Quick Reply: How do you drive for best economy?