1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

barn find f5

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 05:38 AM
barnfinder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
barn find f5

Not sure what I'm doing with this beauty yet.
Any ideas what this thing would be worth

Old 07-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Welcome to FTE!
That looks to be a pretty nice truck, but you can't really tell too much with just that picure.
The larger trucks aren't worth near as much as the F1's. Parts are a lot harder to come by and that large of a truck is much harder to manage. I would love to have one, but having a place to keep it limits that.
What is the state of the engine? Having a running engine also makes a truck easier to sell although it may not impact the price too much.
I don't know when they stopped using widowmaker rims. If this truck has them that causes many other problems.

What is the story behind the truck? Did you just acquire it or is this your barn and you are figuring out what to do?

Take more pictures and we can give you more info on this nice looking 52. Pictures of normal rust areas like the cab corners will help as well. Body work is expensive if you have to hire it out.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:25 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
I'll ditto Joe's comments. And being in Florida, and in the barn, it could be rust free, or badly rusted from coastal humidity and weather exposure. The truck will most certainly have widow maker 20s, the replacement of which will exceed anyone's realistic estimate of the truck's purchase cost. Stu

Old 07-05-2015, 09:52 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,444 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Prices of trucks, especially the bigger ones, vary widely depending on both condition and location. What sells for a lot on the East coast won't bring nearly so much out west. Trucks like that are easily found in farm country. In my neighborhood, it's $500-1000 all day long.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:58 AM
barnfinder
New User
Truck is not from fl . On a piece of property I bought.. will get more pictures next time I'm there.
Looks to be solid underneath.
Anyone interested in a new project

Old 07-05-2015, 10:41 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by barnfinder
Truck is not from fl . On a piece of property I bought.. will get more pictures next time I'm there.
Looks to be solid underneath.
Anyone interested in a new project
Honestly, no one here is going to look at this seriously based on one picture and "looks to be solid underneath". That's not meant as an insult, it's factual. Here are the determining factors to assess value..

Condition of frame ...extensive rust between the double frame layers or other damage.
With or without original engine
Condition of engine ... does it run, is it complete, is it stuck
Condition of body panels... cab corners, door bottoms, floor, fenders, hood .. Rust or other damage
Condition of brakes...with these larger trucks brake jobs are high$$ and some parts are not at all available.

As stated by others above, there is a very limited market for the 1 1/2 ton and larger trucks.

With all that said, don't be discouraged, you will be able to get more than scrap value for the truck, but NOT American Pickers or Fast N Loud prices. You are in Florida, but you said the truck is not, tell us where the truck is located and please post more pictures.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:00 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Joe pretty much said it all just above. The larger trucks are---------larger---------- therefor require more room to accommodate. Another thing is road speed. That is a fifty MPH truck on a good day, downhill with a tail wind. To be able to drive it safely at current road speeds, it must be re geared and or re powered, $$ and efforts. What area of FL are you?

Old 07-05-2015, 11:29 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
I notice you've gotten a good bit more brute honesty here than we sometimes give others. That's because it's pretty clear you are first and foremost wanting to flip the truck. Others who come here looking for support in bringing their new purchase back to life get that support, and probably a more positive response. We are enablers after all. We'd be doing you a disservice, though, by letting these above realities go unmentioned. Ebay and CL are littered with these old rigs and sellers having unrealistic expectations. Stu

Old 07-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
How cool would that be to have on a property you just bought.
Stu is correct, what it's worth questions usually get us nitpicking trucks more than normal. Especially with a single picture.

Joe mentioned something important, title. If it doesn't have a title, it is a parts truck. Some states are a little easier to work that issue out, but it's never easy without the title.

You mentioned it is not in Florida. So were is it located? We are looking forward to more pictures.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The truck is worth what a willing buyer will pay for it. Period. But the more it is in order the easier it will be to sell. That said, nobody in their right mind would ever buy a 1950 F-6 COE cement mixer basket case, but I did. It challenges my abilities and resourcefulness. The bigger trucks are not for the faint of heart. If you intend to flip it just wash it and get the paperwork in order. Someone somewhere is drooling over it.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Not sure what I'm doing with this beauty yet.
Any ideas what this thing would be worth
I'll take that brush hog sitting in front of it.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:33 PM
barnfinder
New User
thank you

Thank you everyone for the input.
I am not just trying to flip.
Would love to restore to use on the farm again if i could.
I know a lot more now of what to look for and take pictures of
to see if its something I can handle if not maybe someone with the love for the truck can.
I live in south west Florida and the truck is in nc. I am heading that way in a couple days so will update when I can.
There's a Chevy 3100 behind it but figured everyone here would want to **** on it.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:05 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you everyone for the input.
I am not just trying to flip.
Would love to restore to use on the farm again if i could.
I know a lot more now of what to look for and take pictures of
to see if its something I can handle if not maybe someone with the love for the truck can.
I live in south west Florida and the truck is in nc. I am heading that way in a couple days so will update when I can.
There's a Chevy 3100 behind it but figured everyone here would want to **** on it.
We may be FORD fans, but that doesn't mean that we don't have friends or family that are into the old Chevys.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Yeah, we are mostly Ford guys, but more importantly we love old iron. Take lots of pictures of the F5 and a few of the Chevy and feed our addiction.

If you decide to try to bring this beauty back to life, our experts here will get you as much help as they can. There are sources for these older trucks, but some parts are made of unobtanium.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You'll find that most guys here like the hopped up F100s. "Most." Personally I love the big trucks. I'm restoring my 1956 F500 right now (almost done too!). There are guys out there like me. They want something they can carry their antique machinery around with. I have a 1954 Farmall that will be sitting on the back of my F500 on my way to many shows. And I have no problem doing 45 on the way there either.

Originally Posted by raytasch
To be able to drive it safely at current road speeds, it must be re geared and or re powered, $$ and efforts. What area of FL are you?

I'm going to disagree with the above notation. This truck does not need to be repowered or regeared at all. There are plenty of vehicles from the 1920s-1940s on the road today that are driven 'carefully' with no problems at all. If it was such an issue the DMV wouldn't allow them on the roads. How many restored, original Model As do you see repowered just so they can go 75?

Don't scrap it. That's history right there. Put it on Craigslist after doing a search for similar vehicles (use www.searchtemptest.com) and see what you have for bites. Be patient. As for title, depending on where you are or where it will be sold sometimes a bill of sale will get it registered. Here in CT it is very easily done. Good luck!