Sponsored by: Moser

finally got to drive it

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:15 AM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
finally got to drive it

I finally got to drive my 77 around the block a few times today..after working on it for over a year..first time it has been driven on the street under it's own power in 15 years...and then..the shifter linkage for the trans came off..broken clip.. no biggie..

only thing that bothers me, is when I floor it from a stop, it just won't go.. feels like it's pulling a heavy trailer/has no power...but once it gets moving, and I stab the gas it hauls a$$ and shoves you back in the seat. . I still have to set the timing....possibly too retarded..or maybe an issue with the transmission? it's a weird feeling..it just won't take off..

I found out my speedometer does not work..Will have to check into that problem..
and then there are the dash lights..had them working.. then on the test drive they stopped working..most likely I knocked a wire loose or something..

the steering surprisingly feels great, no play, no shimmy, and no pulling..steers nice and tight like a brand new truck..gearbox looks to be original.. but who knows..

And I'm lovin' the dual thrush tubes..the 460 sounds very throaty when idling, and cruising, and it gets LOUD when I stomp on it.. set off the alarm on a car down the street when I passed by it..

still have some bugs to work out of the truck and more things to do, but I am satisfied with her first run..

Old 07-02-2015, 01:24 AM
Jrgunn5150
Laughing Gas
Received 246 Likes on 164 Posts
It's always hard to diagnose these things via the Web... But did you get all three shifts? It's not starting out in second?

Congrats on your test drive, gives me hope!

Old 07-02-2015, 01:44 AM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Thank You!

I tried shifting it manually starting in 1, then, 2, then D and she shifts..all 3 times..does the slow takeoff no matter what position I have the shifter in..I will do some more investigating tomorrow if I get the chance..i've also been thinking the brakes might be sticking, since it does it from a stop..because once it gets moving, it feels fine..I stomp the gas and she goes..

Old 07-02-2015, 01:51 AM
Jrgunn5150
Laughing Gas
Could be sticky brakes, especially with it having been sitting.

Have you gone at it with a timing light?

Old 07-02-2015, 06:06 AM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Jrgunn5150
Could be sticky brakes, especially with it having been sitting.

Have you gone at it with a timing light?
nope.. not yet..will set the timing next time i take it for a spin..right now it's timed "by ear" which is pretty much, not timed correctly.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Jrgunn5150
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mebe2k
timed "by ear" which is pretty much, not timed correctly.
Try telling my cousin that lol. Let us know what you find.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:15 AM
jackburtonme
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I vote sticky brake. You'll smell it. Then find the wheel that dealt it!

Old 07-02-2015, 12:50 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mebe2k
I finally got to drive my 77 around the block a few times today..after working on it for over a year..first time it has been driven on the street under it's own power in 15 years...and then..the shifter linkage for the trans came off..broken clip.. no biggie..

only thing that bothers me, is when I floor it from a stop, it just won't go.. feels like it's pulling a heavy trailer/has no power...but once it gets moving, and I stab the gas it hauls a$$ and shoves you back in the seat. . I still have to set the timing....possibly too retarded..or maybe an issue with the transmission? it's a weird feeling..it just won't take off..

I found out my speedometer does not work..Will have to check into that problem..
and then there are the dash lights..had them working.. then on the test drive they stopped working..most likely I knocked a wire loose or something..

the steering surprisingly feels great, no play, no shimmy, and no pulling..steers nice and tight like a brand new truck..gearbox looks to be original.. but who knows..

And I'm lovin' the dual thrush tubes..the 460 sounds very throaty when idling, and cruising, and it gets LOUD when I stomp on it.. set off the alarm on a car down the street when I passed by it..

still have some bugs to work out of the truck and more things to do, but I am satisfied with her first run..
In USN aviation we called it a "check ride"... a first run to determine if we fixed everything and what new issues popped up.

I recently got my '70 on the road after two years and encountered much the same as you did...... leaks from loose hose clamps, sticking brakes (bad booster!), fuel gauge inop (missing float!), and I forgot to attach the speedo cable. I too set off a couple of car alarms.. Sanderson headers, 2.5-inch tubes, and 21-inch Magnaflow round case mufflers dumping on each side.

I've been treating it kindly because the TKO still needs break in... it scoots otherwise.

Party on!

Old 07-02-2015, 01:06 PM
JP78F100Truck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd check brake fluid, my parking brake was sticking because there was not enough brake fluid getting to calipers to release.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:12 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had one do the very thing. The Edlebrock carb needed some tuning, tweeking and an old man trick

Old 07-02-2015, 02:29 PM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
found 2 issues, i knocked the wire out for the electric choke(haven't finished wiring that properly yet.. just had it taped) and the right, front caliper is sticking.. which is strange, because the truck never pulled to the right...I hope it doesn't pull to the left after I replace the calipers.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:44 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would encourage you to do both.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:51 PM
jackburtonme
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just did the same myself! Got the orange truck on the road shakin her down, F-R caliper was sticking, pulled it apart and the bore was in bad shape, replaced with new caliper, then it pulled to the right! So finally the other day grabbed a new left caliper, all good now. The left one was full of black goopy crap, I wasn't even going to waste my time tearing it apart.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:29 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had plenty of times that a caliper sticks enough to wear down the brakes quickly, but not enough to make the car really pull - just had to change the left rear on my '01 Cobra because it got down to metal - didn't notice it before that, and the right pads still had 1/4" of material on them.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:30 PM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
replaced both front calipers, and the pads.. rotors were ok..had some slight surface rust that i sanded, but they're not gouged or pitted..
I also set the timing.. I have it at 10 degrees BTDC with the vac line disconnected and plugged.. fixed the trans shift linkage.. just needed a new clip.

And then I took her for another spin.. and what a huge difference..gets up and goes quick now..after a couple trips around the block I could not help myself.. I had to roast a tire!

but I think the transmission is taking off in 2nd gear in D..if I stomp it in D it doesn't seem to take off as quick as it does in 1..it also feels like it only shifts once...but if I shift it manually, starting in 1st, moving to 2nd, then D it shifts all three times..if I stomp the gas while the truck is moving, it does downshift, so the kickdown is working..the trans has the C6 "morning sickness"..took it about 5 minutes to go into drive..it sat for 15 years.. I figure it's going to need to be gone through...all of the rubber seals, O-rings, etc. are probably rotten...I did change the fluid and filter/screen before running it..I have another C6, that I got for free..but the guy I got it from said it slipped...will rebuild that one and then swap them later..little by little, just gotta work out the bugs..

Quick Reply: finally got to drive it