1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Ford econoline e350 RV overheating on traffic

Old 07-07-2015, 02:31 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes ....I am opposed to whatever that crap is....I only use OEM parts on my Trucks.....I have no fear of paying more...I make money....everyday....More than you can count I'm sure...As far as the OP goes..you connect the sender from the guage to the same spot the factory one is...On my 77 460 it is just above the thermostat housing on the drivers side...it has a wire connected to it...Make sure you use T-tape on the new sender and do not overtighten it ....

Old 07-07-2015, 03:15 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can count pretty high.
Who do you think makes OEM t-stats?

Old 07-07-2015, 03:43 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
What using your fingers and toes ?

Old 07-07-2015, 04:01 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
That's probably all I need in your case

If that's the best you got , go back to your mom's basement. Your pet ferret is calling.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:24 PM
jakoolin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys I know that you're both passionate in helping me with this issue. Can we just stick with the topic and can we just get a long?

Blageurt my thermostast is on the front and on the passengers side I couldn't follow where the current gauge is connected. I was thinking it would be inside the dog house?

Vettex2 are you saying that I could just use ordinary tap water or RO/DI and not use water wetter? Since you said that these engines runs between 190- 200 wouldn't the water boil and be bad?

Old 07-07-2015, 06:08 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
You need lube for the pump. that is what water wetter is really for , not the BS red line claims

Ideally after you sort everything out , distilled water and coolant is best.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:21 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
All 460's have the exact same thermostat housing and engine layout...Up to 1978 they were Internally Balanced and after that they were externally balanced ....Meaning you cannot interchange flywheels and Harmonic balancers...otherwise they are almost identical...I just went outside and looked at my 77 460 ...and it is at about 3 or 4 o'clock if you are looking at the disribiutor in the plan view... it is underneath the distribiutor... But I have an Edelbrock Intake( square bore Aluminium) ....Yours might be in the back of the motor...I do not know...I have the factory DVD for 1995 and can look for it ....Mine is where I said it is ...
And for Mr Vettex ....My mother died one year ago and I own 3 Houses with very large basements...No ferrets however....I don't really like weasels

Old 07-07-2015, 11:21 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by blageurt
All 460's have the exact same thermostat housing and engine layout...Up to 1978 they were Internally Balanced and after that they were externally balanced ....Meaning you cannot interchange flywheels and Harmonic balancers...otherwise they are almost identical...I just went outside and looked at my 77 460 ...and it is at about 3 or 4 o'clock if you are looking at the disribiutor in the plan view... it is underneath the distribiutor... But I have an Edelbrock Intake( square bore Aluminium) ....Yours might be in the back of the motor...I do not know...I have the factory DVD for 1995 and can look for it ....Mine is where I said it is ...
And for Mr Vettex ....My mother died one year ago and I own 3 Houses with very large basements...No ferrets however....I don't really like weasels
sorry about your mother. been there , bought the plot.
I'm sure you understand the reference.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:51 AM
jakoolin
Freshman User
Blageurt - Hope you could find that info so I could install the temp gauge.

Vettex2- Thanks I'll buy the water wetter this weekend and placed distilled water and take it for a ride and see how the temp goes.

Hopefully I'll be able to post results next week. Anything else that you could think of before the weekend please let me know so I could do it .

Thanks for all your help and keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:24 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
According to what I have, it is in the same location as I said it was.... bot closer to the Thermostat Housing since you have the stock Intake ....it is most likely under the distribiutor beside the thermostat housing ..Maybe if you remove the Distribiutor cap you will be able to see it more clearly....hope this helps

Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jakoolin

Vettex2- Thanks I'll buy the water wetter this weekend and placed distilled water and take it for a ride and see how the temp goes.

Hopefully I'll be able to post results next week. Anything else that you could think of before the weekend please let me know so I could do it .

Thanks for all your help and keeping my fingers crossed.
It may not even be running hot. Check temps before you spend money......

Old 07-09-2015, 02:43 PM
jakoolin
Freshman User
It may not even be running hot. Check temps before you spend money......
So I placed Distilled water yesterday without the water wetter ( since I just ordered it)and with a 195 degrees thermostat and run it idle for about 15 min. I used the infrared thermometer and the top of the radiator measured about 190 - 200 and looked at the stocked gauge and it is between "M" and "A" so I'm guessing that when it goes to past "L" it would be 220-250? Is that still safe? I did not want to drive around since I don't have the water wetter so I just had it idling. What do you think?

Old 07-09-2015, 02:47 PM
jakoolin
Freshman User
According to what I have, it is in the same location as I said it was.... bot closer to the Thermostat Housing since you have the stock Intake ....it is most likely under the distribiutor beside the thermostat housing ..Maybe if you remove the Distribiutor cap you will be able to see it more clearly....hope this helps
Thanks for the info. Once I find it should I just tap in with the new temp gauge? Some people say that there should be a temp light switch do you know if this is correct?

Old 07-09-2015, 09:34 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
check when it's hot in traffic
220 is high but tolerable, 250 definitely is not.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:45 AM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
No the temp guage comes with it's own sender...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford econoline e350 RV overheating on traffic