Ford GP Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:16 PM
The Bourg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford GP Questions

I have a 1941 Ford GP. I am starting to gather information on rebuilding the trans/transfer case. I called Obsolete Parts to find prices on my trans rebuild parts and ran into a lack of knowledge problem on their part. The little truck has a Ford CP-7000 transmission. They didn't know what that meant. Anyone know what years and application this trans might be? I'm guessing 36 to 41 half ton. Most of the parts are 1941 pickup truck. Ford also made a 4 cylinder pickup in 40/41. Same basic engine trans set up except no transfer case. Anyone have knowledge on this beast?

Old 07-01-2015, 05:14 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Your best bet for transmission knowledge is to call Mac Van Pelt: VANPELT SALES LLC - your ford flathead source

Old 07-05-2015, 11:15 AM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Ford GP Questions

There are quite a few GPs still out it there, and a lot of knowledge. As you probably know, the engine is a modified 2N tractor engine, and the transmission didn't come from the truck. The GP-7000 (not CP) seems to have been specific to the GP. Have you checked any military sites? There are a few out there specializing in military vehicles, just like the GP. We do have a couple members here with military vehicles, but not the GPs, I believe. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:14 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to ask. What is a GP? Is that like a Jeep?

Whatever it is I would love to see it.

Here is how to post pic's on FTE

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ure-guide.html

Here is one way by "Axracer"

Do you have digital pix of your truck from digital camera or phone on your computer?
If so it is easy to add them to a post (assuming the file is not too large). Find the
pic on your computer and leave it open while you come here in another window. Compose
a post, click where you want the pic to appear in the post. Click on the picture icon
at the top of the posting box (looks like a postcard with mountains and sun) A dialog
box will open asking if you want to drag a pic onto the box or browse your computer to
find it. If you have the pic open, go there, right click anywhere on the pic and chose
copy from the menu. Come back to your post and right click on the box. Select paste from
the menu. Your picture should appear (it may take a few seconds to load) in the box. Now
left click on the insert button.
If the stars all aligned your picture should now be in your post window. Select post to
have it appear on the forum or repeat to add more pix. Some cameras make huge files these
days that are larger than the forum limits. You may need to resize or resample the picture
and save the smaller file version with whatever picture editing software came with your
picture taking device before you can post it.

If you are a supporter than just right click on an image from anywhere like Facebook
or whatever. Than left click in your post and paste it in. So simple even a monkey
could do it.

Oh! and welcome to FTE and the old truck madness.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:17 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay I Googled it and it is a Jeep. Cool

Old 07-05-2015, 04:27 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
The engine for your pre-production Ford GP is the N-series, as noted, but with fuel pump. So, more accurately, it is the commercial N-series that was optional for 41 Fords, not the tractor version. The transmission, as far as I know, is a Model A. Not sure how modified it was, other than the obvious provisions for mating to the Spicer 18 transfer case. Your GP should have the same speedometer and gauges as Ford trucks. Your front axle is a Spicer (Dana) 23, the rear is a 25, if I'm not mistaken.

BTW the G was Ford code for government contract, the P signified 80" wheelbase. The production Ford "jeeps" were GPWs. W was code for ****** pattern, as ****** got the gub'mint contract and Ford built them under license.

A few early GPs had four wheel steering. KA-CHING!!

Old 07-08-2015, 09:34 PM
bourg4th
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GP question

I couldn't log in under The Bourg so I changed names. anyway, The GP is the third generation of prototype of the one quarter ton truck that Ford entered for the Government Contract with the Army. 500 trucks were built for testing. The British wanted the GP for commonwealth troops so Ford built 500 for Brits and another 500 went to Russia. Moving forward to this time, there is estimated to be 100 GPs still in existence.The transmission is a CP7000. The standard 3 speed trans for a ford of that vintage is CP7006. The engine is similar to the 1940-41-42 engine found in the half ton truck except the Army didn't want an up draft carburetor so it has a down draft carb like a Chevy or Dodge. The carb was only for the GP. Parts are few and far between. I asked Van Pelt? about the trans and he said that he could get an idea of what it is if I would take pictures of the trans. Ford made 6 different 3 speed transmissions at the same time. When I worked as a mechanic for Ford they still wanted to build everything in variations of 6. I have had this thing for about 15 years and when I bought it you could still find parts.