Which GPS Do You Like - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Which GPS Do You Like - Why?

Getting ready for our 'Big Adventure' coming up in mid- August through Mid September. I have a well reviewed car type GPS, a Garmin 2597. It doesn't have anything in the way of high, wide, heavy or long routing capabilities nor any POI's that relate to RVing and has, like all others sent me in the wrong direction.

I've looked at what apps are on each as well as reviews for the biggies, Garmin RV 770LMT, the Rand-McNally 7700 series and even TomToms which are surprisingly well rated and a bunch less expensive. Magellan seems to have fallen by the wayside. My negative feelings about the Rand units is that they are very Camping World/Good Sam orientated and have poor customer service. All of them will send you the wrong direction occasionally and all of them will have units made on a Monday after a long holiday weekend and curl up and die at the most inopportune time.

So, with that said, what do you like about your RV related GPS (if you even have one)?

Oh and Garmin has a new one, an RV 660LMT, but it's about 5-6 weeks away from shipping and I really don't much care to be one step away from a beta production unit

Old 07-01-2015, 12:23 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
I have been using GPSs since they first came out and cost $1,000. Now I have a Garmin. Haven't really found a nickel's worth of difference between them, although their speed rerouting has really improved over the years. Debated buying one of the RV focused models, but really can't come up with a good enough reason to spend the money.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:04 PM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My .02 I like Garmin's. We also own a Tom Tom I hate it. It takes way too long to find the sats. I have been debating the Garmin RV unit but so far cant justify the cost. If I was starting fresh one of the Garmin RV units would be it

Old 07-01-2015, 04:33 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
I have the Garmin 760 and so far haven't had ANY problems with it. Yeah, I have overridden their suggestions for routing, but that's gonna happen with ALL GPS's. You know your local routes much better than most computers.

I bought it because of earlier GPS's taking me to routes where I am to tall to fit under some underpasses they take me on. SO far, Garmin hasn't done this BUT..... There are way too many roads where Garmin will tell me that this route is "UNKNOWN" I'm sure this will update as new maps come out.

Nice thing here is the new maps are FREE unlike the new maps for the GPS in my VW. A bit over $100 per update!!! Garmin is going into the VW when the latest update isn't working for me anymore.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:56 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I have a rand McNally for RV's.

We like it. You can use for car or RV. You specify.

the RV side will allow you to put in your length, amount of propane, height and also to avoid stuff like tolls and stay on major routes.

POI factory to download all of your fav's like wally world and KOA's. Pilot flying j and things.

Lifetime map updates.

I use it when I have any sizeable trailer and going on an unkown road/route/destination.

Ford really should make there nav so you can specify trailer or not.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:29 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I recently bought the Good Sam/Rand McNally 7735 LM. It is on sale right now for $249. It allow trailer and rv type along with other parameters. I have not had opportunity to use it while towing 5th wheel. It has to be better than the Ford Nav unit when towing.

I questioned Ford Sync people but they were no help as to why they sell a truck for towing but a car gps nav unit.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Well one more time it came to a coin flip .... and Garmin won. Both the R-M and Garmin have good points but my past history with one exception (Magellen) has been with Garmin and am used to their interface and quirks. Teaching an old dog new tricks works but it takes too much time and the real reason I nudged the coin over to the Garmin. Crutchfield currently has the best pricing ($299.99 and free shipping, no tax) for new units and is a factory authorized seller. I should have it in-hand NLT then Tuesday and will take it for a test drive albeit without the 5er hooked on.

Oh and the RV660LMT is now available from a couple sources for about $330 if you want to be a first-of-a-new-product user.

Thanks for your input folks

Old 07-03-2015, 07:11 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
I buy the cheapest Garmin with the largest internal memory, traffic and lifetime map updates and then add the custom POI's. lowclearances.com has all the low over passes and POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS has everything else.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jsm180
I buy the cheapest Garmin with the largest internal memory, traffic and lifetime map updates and then add the custom POI's. lowclearances.com has all the low over passes and POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS has everything else.
I might just play around with POI's with one of my elderly Garmins. I've been hesitant to use 3rd party software in an active unit. I have a 255W in a car that is seldom used that might just be a candidate for a 'road test'. As far as large internal memory - not sure that Garmin makes one as all I've had required at least a 4gb micro SD card whenever I needed a map update.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the Garmin RV 760LMT with rear wireless camera option and 50' extension cable for the transmitter... No practical experience just yet as I just broke it out of the box the other day...
I made a custom camera housing for the rear of the trailer and have it mounted now...
Will report back here...

Old 07-03-2015, 02:08 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I might just play around with POI's with one of my elderly Garmins. I've been hesitant to use 3rd party software in an active unit. I have a 255W in a car that is seldom used that might just be a candidate for a 'road test'. As far as large internal memory - not sure that Garmin makes one as all I've had required at least a 4gb micro SD card whenever I needed a map update.
There is no software to add, you just add data. The later Garmins do a better job with routing and poi's, never tried it on the 255, I gave it away long ago. I'm using a 2555, with 8gb internal memory, my next one will have a larger screen, sucks getting old.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Randy that will be interesting as most reviews of the Garmin camera system have not been very positive. Oh well, I've been backing 5ers since 1976 so why do I need a camera now - ( advancing age and wisdom maybe??? )

jsm - I hear ya on the gettin' along in years and screen size. The 760 has a 7" and why I decided on that one instead of their new 660 which has 'only' a 6"

Old 07-05-2015, 07:14 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
I bought the Garmin RV 760LMT with rear wireless camera option and 50' extension cable for the transmitter... No practical experience just yet as I just broke it out of the box the other day...
I made a custom camera housing for the rear of the trailer and have it mounted now...
Will report back here...
I mounted a $15 camera from Amazon on top of the hitch receiver below the bumper and tied it into the screen on the Pioneer stereo, it works great. For $15 I expected junk that might work for 6 months, it's been on for over 2 years. When the 5th wheel is hooked up the camera gives a good view of the complete running gear. I prefer my wife's eyes when backing the 5th.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Randy that will be interesting as most reviews of the Garmin camera system have not been very positive. Oh well, I've been backing 5ers since 1976 so why do I need a camera now - ( advancing age and wisdom maybe??? )

jsm - I hear ya on the gettin' along in years and screen size. The 760 has a 7" and why I decided on that one instead of their new 660 which has 'only' a 6"
Most of the poor reviews that I read were people that were trying to use the camera at night without backup lighting. The Garmin camera is not Infrared, so lighting is essential. I do have relatively bright LED backup lights and may install a small LED light bar to boot.
The other issue for some people was the range of the transmitter for the camera was not sufficient on a long trailer. I bought the 50' extension cable which will get thr transmitter withing 15' of the Garmin's receiver. That should take care of that..

As far as video resolution - yes it's only 640x480, but I bought it to see if I was going to back into something - not read a book through it or save pictures of my vacations.. LOL....

My wife has been my 'Mon-BACKer' for many years... This is not going to put her out of a job, but augment the feedback I am getting from her..

Old 07-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Most of the poor reviews that I read were people that were trying to use the camera at night without backup lighting. The Garmin camera is not Infrared, so lighting is essential. I do have relatively bright LED backup lights and may install a small LED light bar to boot.
The other issue for some people was the range of the transmitter for the camera was not sufficient on a long trailer. I bought the 50' extension cable which will get thr transmitter withing 15' of the Garmin's receiver. That should take care of that..

As far as video resolution - yes it's only 640x480, but I bought it to see if I was going to back into something - not read a book through it or save pictures of my vacations.. LOL....

My wife has been my 'Mon-BACKer' for many years... This is not going to put her out of a job, but augment the feedback I am getting from her..

Randy - I understand what you will be using it for and look forward to your unbiased review when you finally get a chance on using the camera. I think my decision not to buy was as much economic as 150 plus or minus dollars for a a mediocre camera just felt wrong when there are 20-50 buck versions with a bunch more resolution with CCD sensors.

My wife will continue to flap her arms and yell, usually out of sight of the mirrors until such time as I can unlatch my wallet and figure out if the Brand X camera I like is compatible with the Garmin (the owner's manual hints that some may be)

Quick Reply: Which GPS Do You Like - Why?