Sponsored by: Moser

Sigh...why me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:30 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sigh...why me!

Well I walked out to my truck Sunday morning to get something out of my truck. I opened the door and saw all sorts of receipts, my center console tray in the passenger seat and the glove compartment opened. Yeah someone had been in my truck and took some things out of the glovebox to include my registration and insurance card!!! They also took a nice LED flashlight and a new digital tire pressure gauge. The registration and the insurance card is the concern!!! I guess that was one of the rare nights that I didn't lock my truck.

Thank GOD it was not one of those night when I left things like my computer or wallet in the truck. My neighbor said he had the same thing happen to him awhile back and that it has been happening in our area. Specifically the the registrations and insurance cards are taken.

I also realized that there is NO LOCK on the glovebox of our trucks!! I know that someone would be able to use a crowbar or something like that to get into it but some might not want to make the extra effort to do it and make noise. (the truck was in my driveway)

So I had to file a police report (which they clearly state there will be NO INVESTIGATION) I then had to call Equifax and put a fraud alert on my credit in case they tried to open a new account with my information. (If you notify one credit agency of fraud, they notify the other two major agencies for you)

The thing that bothers me the most besides the whole event happening is that I don't know what else was in the glovebox. It seemed like there was a lot missing that was usually in it. The thought did go through my mind that I was hoping I didn't accidentally leave the lock code card in there by mistake. I will have to look for it in my important paperwork today when I get home from work.

So...remember to lock up those trucks everyone and don't leave things in the truck of value to you. I know that is pretty much a DUH statement but we all get complacent at times and leave things in our vehicles. I am now going to have to try and find a good place to keep my registration (besides in my wallet)

For those of you that are wondering what someone can do with your registration card; identity theft, if your state has your drivers license on it they can use that, if your registration does not show a lein holder they can use it to place a lein against your vehicle, they can open new credit with your name and address which will use your credit. UGH I sure wish I had a security camera set up in front.

Anyway be safe everyone and I hope none of you have this happen to you.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Major bummer Rob. One saving grace is they didn't damage your truck trying to get in. We had a side-window broken once just outside GG park in SF a few years ago. The worst part about that was driving home in the rain without a side window.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:12 PM
David W Jones
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Sucks.
People can be ****...........

Old 06-30-2015, 01:39 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Sorry to read of this Rob. I hope all goes well for ya.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry this happened to you. I hate effin thieves. I guess you may have some relief in knowing that smash and grabs aren't usually carried out by the brightest of individuals. It really depends on who they give your info to. It sounds like you have your bases covered. It sure makes me feel better that I park in the garage at night.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:46 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F%#@& Hate thieves!

Old 06-30-2015, 03:29 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would love to catch someone getting into my truck.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:52 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,362 Likes on 1,708 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:24 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
That sucks. I had my previous truck broken into so many times I left it unlocked with nothing in it. All the bad guys know the Chicago police won't even take a report for a vehicle break in. Glad to be out of the city.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:54 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope you didn't have the paperwork in it from when you bought it at the dealer.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:55 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
hummm ... maybe i should take the keys out of my ignition.

all 8 vehicles ... man, that seems like a lot of work, though!

sorry to hear about that, Rob. worse than losing your things is someone messing with your stuff.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:18 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
That sucks Rob. Sorry to hear of your troubles. But glueguy makes a good point though. Locks only stop the honest thieves. Boy what an oxy moron that is. You certainly have my sympathy with everything your going to deal with for restoring your identity. I can't believe that the police aren't going to do anything to stop and catch these a**holes.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
f n dirt bags .......hasn't happened recently but I've had a truck broken into ('87 Toyota 4x4 wish i still had) and a bike stolen ("88 Honda hurricane wish I still had) .......also there's the '88 Dodge work van some loser went in while I was actually using it (truck mounted carpet cleaning van) and stole like 37 cents or so and the kicker .......wait for it..... a half drank bottle of Pepsi

Old 06-30-2015, 10:30 PM
Truckpilot1329
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at the bright side of things; had the truck been locked, and they broke a window
to get in, they could have gotten cut on the glass, and hit you with a law suit.

Plus, since you live in the People's Republic, that could have resulted in some sort of
criminal endangering charges being filed against you.

Man, you're really lucky………...

Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks everyone...I am still thinking about it every morning. QwkTrip I would NEVER keep the paperwork from the purchase in the vehicle. We also do not throw away any paperwork that has our information on it...they are always shredded. (another thing people get complacent about, my wife works at a credit union)

Tomorrow when I am off I will look for that factory lock code card in my file cabinet to make sure I did remove it from the vehicle. When things like this happen it makes you second guess a lot of things.

I sure wish my truck would fit into my garage...sadly it does not. I tried to do that when I first bought it and it would be so tight it would be very difficult to walk around the front of it in the garage. (like inches of space) That is one thing I sure wish I had is a bigger garage (what man doesn't right? )

I am going to have to put the new tags on it here in the next week, so I guess I will remove the old ones and then put the new one on it and cut it up with a razor so it will have to come off in a lot of little pieces. Who knows if they will come back for it or not.

The ironic part is my neighborhood has quite a few law enforcement officers so it puts you in a false state of having a neighborhood that things don't happen in. I know things happen everywhere but sometimes ignorance is bliss. We do have a good neighborhood for the most part.

Quick Reply: Sigh...why me!