Bronco II Ford Bronco II

87 Bronco II won't start with key

Old 06-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Sinister Shred
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Bronco II won't start with key

Hey everyone, I have a 1987 Bronco II that I bought about 3 months ago and haven't been able to drive yet.

Let me start from the top.
When I was checking out the truck before buying, it had a problem of not starting with the key. However if you lay a piece of metal over the starter solenoid, it starts just fine.

I drove it home, and the next day to my brothers shop. It had a Viper car alarm that was very poorly installed. I disconnected the harness for the brain of the alarm and it started with the key. I took the engine apart as to clean the top end out and replace some gaskets while my brother went through the wiring of the alarm system in order to remove it.

I was out of town when he finished it and brought it back to my house and the no key start problem had came back. I figured it was one of the wires under the dash that was causing it the locking cylinder to not work. I looked through every wiring diagram in my Chilton's and couldn't find anything close to the wires I needed info on.

So aside from that, here's some of the things I replaced in light of the problem. The steering wheel was really loose so I took the steering column apart to tighten it up and while I was in there I replaced the locking cylinder and the ignition switch.

I have also tried running a toggle switch just to try and start it from the inside but after almost catching the truck on fire I stopped that non sense. Although the idea of running a legit "push to start" button coming from the solenoid or the starter it self hasn't completely left me.

I have done numerous internet searches to try and find "some" info on it but it seems that I'm the only one having this problem. I am by no means a big Ford guy so my technical experience level for the trucks is slim to none. I had an 88 f150 before this but that's about it. Also I am straight dumb when it comes to electrical or wiring, so I'm pretty much in the dark and on my last leg before I sell this thing to a wrecker.

If anyone has info on this problem that would be awesome, or at least anyone who knows what wires run from the ignition switch to the solenoid so I can do a volt meter test.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:10 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The red wire with blue stripe (rubber slip on connector) at the starter RELAY connects voltage from the ignition switch to the relay. The relay closes and sends voltage to the starter solenoid which is part of the starter.

Pull the rubber boot off of the RELAY and jump 12 volts to that pin. It should crank when you do this, so be sure the transmission is in park if you have a slugomatic or neutral if it has a manual transmission.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Sinister Shred
New User
Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I finally have time to work on it today. I've decided to try and run a professional engine start switch. I figured it would be easier to fix if it ever failed.

I'll try to post some pics as soon as I get the batteries back from the auto part store.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:20 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds lilke a plan, let us know how it goes. Did you take a couple of seconds to do the test I mentioned?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:46 AM
Sinister Shred
New User
I did the test and determined that wasn't the problem. It turned out the clutch safety switch had broke and was jimmy rigged with a piece of electrical connector that had fallen out. I feel like an idiot for not have checking that first. But now it starts every time. I was able to start it and drive it and found a bunch of other non-electrical problems that need to be taken care of.