1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

automatic to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:44 AM
kenn_chan
More Turbo
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts
automatic to manual swap

extremely long post so please bear with me.

I am stationed overseas in yokosuka naval base japan with my truck so bare this in mind as I describe what I want to do. 2001 5.4 SCREW 4x4 5" lift 4.10 gears SCT livewire tuner.

I want to swap a 6 speed manual transmission and transfer case from the 2003(ish) to 2007ish F250 body into my truck. I realize that the S6-650 trans did not come in the SCREW body of these years or any for that matter.

japan has in the last 6 years introduced draconian laws in regards to importing trucks of any sort to protect the japanese manufactures. most 4wd half tons barely squeak by but once you get to 3/4 tons their is an approximately $30,000 surcharge added to import one. I tow a smallish camper along with a RHIB boat that I strap on a rack in the truck bed. total package with family and supplies loaded is below the limit for the truck on paper, but when I hit the hills here in japan the transmission temps start to go up pulling any grade. I have done all I can in regards to extra cooling but the grades are stupidly steep.

I know that I need the following from the 2003~2007 F250 or F350 truck:

transmission
transfer case
both front and rear drive shafts (to modify to fit current axles)
transmission cross member
any transmission and or transfer case mounts
flywheel
pressure plate
throwout bearing
pilot bearings
clutch slave cylinder
any lines that connect the slave cylinder to the clutch master
2003ish~2007ish clutch master (just in case)
extra wiring from all sensors to extend and modify to match current harness.

and parts from the 1998~2003ish truck body (6 banger or 4.6 w/manual)

the complete pedal assembly from a 1998~2003 body
clutch master cylinder
clutch master cylinder hoses to slave cylinder
brake master and vacuum booster (if they are different for the manual vs auto)
transfer case manual selector lever and brackets linkages etc. complete
one of those ESOF to manual adapters they sell online to eliminate the electronics side of the 4wd.

I think that the Live wire with the proper programming could alleviate any issues with the engine in regards to the non existent auto tranny any thoughts on this?

does anybody know if the speed pickup is in the tranny or diff for the 2004 and up models?

does anybody know of a reputable 4wd shop that I can use to order and ship the parts I need? some things would be new and some used or rebuilt.

Thanks

ken

Old 06-29-2015, 03:02 PM
auskip07
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its a shame you cant get a parts truck. i cant imagine the cost of all those parts being shipped from the states.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:33 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
4.10 gears should tow a small camper pretty easy. How big are your tires ?
I can tow a 6,000 pound trailer all day long with 3.55 gears
I can tow a10,000 pound trailer by paying attention to the gauge.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:02 AM
kenn_chan
More Turbo
Originally Posted by auskip07
its a shame you cant get a parts truck. i cant imagine the cost of all those parts being shipped from the states.
cheaper than a rebuilt transmission over here

Old 07-01-2015, 09:20 AM
kenn_chan
More Turbo
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
4.10 gears should tow a small camper pretty easy. How big are your tires ?
I can tow a 6,000 pound trailer all day long with 3.55 gears
I can tow a10,000 pound trailer by paying attention to the gauge.

the hills are stupid steep here, and the heat and humidity do not help. I run 33" BFG mud terrains and one thing to remember when I tow its for 5~600 miles minimum so I carry 10 (ten) 5 gallon cans of gas besides all of the foodstuffs water etc. needed for the trip. Many of the things we take for granted are very expensive once you leave the base. gasoline is between 7~8 dollars a gallon so I take as much as I have gas cans for. food etc. is expensive also but we usually eat local food every other day yet still it takes a lot to keep 3 females happy (wife + two daughters)

currently I have no issues with the transmission. But I know its a matter of when not if it will go. Last year on our trip to hokaido I hit 200 on the tranny temp on one grade measured with the SCT live wire. that was in 70 degree temps. while its not at the danger zone per se, its getting worrisome and that was before I added the boat and rack to the truck.

I now live here, and plan to retire here in the next ten years. I am hoping to not have to buy a new truck as they are getting to damn expensive and have too many electronics that are getting harder and harder to deal with. being that they do not sell any US pickup trucks (nor Japanese for that matter)(no service its all DIY repairs) it leaves me the option of importing, from the US or buying a japanese work truck (think forklift seat and about the same suspension with no hitch members made or sold for it)

typical POS japanese truck

not exactly awe inspiring in capacity in any fashion. not to mention: my knees scream after about 15 minutes of driving one of these, only two passenger, no towing capacity whatsoever, no creature comforts etc. etc. etc.

so My truck must last me about 15~20 more years and that pretty much means new transmission at least once maybe twice. at 5K just to get a rebuilt transmission here in japan its cheaper to order the parts and do a manual swap. I drive a manual well enough that I have only had to change a clutch (in my personal vehicles) twice in 30 years, and one of those was right after I bought it (prior owner slipped it too much). so manual is the way to go for me.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:22 AM
kenn_chan
More Turbo
also the average posted speed here on lower roads is about 30 MPH and only 50 on the expressways so a lot more wear and tear on 2nd and 3rd with the attendant heat build up from no torque converter lockup.

and to be honest I just prefer manuals which is about 60% of the reason

Old 07-01-2015, 10:37 AM
auskip07
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
while i cant offer much help with the conversion question i might be able to help get the temps down. When dealing with turbo charged engines its important to remove heat from an intercooler. Lots of methods have been tried one of the methods is re routing windshield washer sprayer (typically you just use another type from the Garden section at lowes/Home Depot" position it to spray at your heat soaked trans cooler for a temporary relief on the hills. Good luck on the conversion. The alternative would be less expensive and yield cooling results.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:28 AM
kenn_chan
More Turbo
Originally Posted by auskip07
while i cant offer much help with the conversion question i might be able to help get the temps down. When dealing with turbo charged engines its important to remove heat from an intercooler. Lots of methods have been tried one of the methods is re routing windshield washer sprayer (typically you just use another type from the Garden section at lowes/Home Depot" position it to spray at your heat soaked trans cooler for a temporary relief on the hills. Good luck on the conversion. The alternative would be less expensive and yield cooling results.

Not a bad idea auskip07 kind of like a IC sprayerfromt he STi's or rotaries with small intercoolers, but on the tranny cooler instead. I thought about a larger tranny cooler remotely mounted with fans but dismissed it due to the poor location (behind my winch) in front of the radiator as being poorly ventilated. a water mist might help to let it live longer.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:45 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
I have a suggestion you might consider.
If I understand your usage, a custom built 4R70 2 or 4wd will provide all the life and toughness you would need over the time you keep the truck.
The following is my personal experience with such a custom build.
For towing gross loads over the limit, I ballooned my converter.
This failure circulated metal all through the trans.
A collection of the metal from the pan was instantly recognizes by the shop owner.
With such a failure and high loads to tow, it was no use rebuilding the Trans stock, for the same failure to happen again.
I went to a custom trans shop with many many years of experience for their advice.
What I got was a custom converter with a lower stall speed and a custom high performance rebuild with a lot of areas upgraded.
Shifting was upgraded to more positive shifting to reduce heat buildup along with the converter.
This was done at about 50,000 miles. Today my truck is going for 235,000 miles. The trans has never deviated from it's feel and function from day one it's install date.
The fluid used is not Mercon V due to the linings used in the clutch paks and band are not Ford replacements..
I stopped towing the very heavy gross loads years ago and expect this trans will last beyond the life of the rest of the truck.
The motor is still first class condition.
If you feel your interested in this possibility, contact the shop with your needs and advice on costing and shipping. It may turn out to be cheaper than obtaining a trans and trying to engineer a swap with it's attendant issues to solve, and be a bolt-in and go.
The shop has done transmissions for the most unlikely customers world wide so you can bank on first rate quality product as I have.
So as not to provide 'perceived advertisement' for this shop, I will withhold the name unless your interested.
You can even refer to me as a customer for them to look up the build they done for me.
It would be an extreme pleasure to provide you with a lead to this possibility and helping an owner in another country with a special need.
Good luck..

Old 07-02-2015, 10:56 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
If I understand your usage, a custom built 4R70 2 or 4wd will provide all the life and toughness you would need over the time you keep the truck.
A collection of the metal from the pan was instantly recognizes by the shop owner.
With such a failure and high loads to tow, it was no use rebuilding the Trans stock, for the same failure to happen again.
I went to a custom trans shop with many many years of experience for their advice.
What I got was a custom converter with a lower stall speed and a custom high performance rebuild with a lot of areas upgraded.
Shifting was upgraded to more positive shifting to reduce heat buildup along with the converter.
This was done at about 50,000 miles. Today my truck is going for 235,000 miles. The trans has never deviated from it's feel and function from day one it's install date.
The fluid used is not Mercon V due to the linings used in the clutch paks and band are not Ford replacements..
I stopped towing the very heavy gross loads years ago and expect this trans will last beyond the life of the rest of the truck.
If you feel your interested in this possibility, contact the shop with your needs and advice on costing and shipping. It may turn out to be cheaper than obtaining a trans and trying to engineer a swap with it's attendant issues to solve, and be a bolt-in and go.
The shop has done transmissions for the most unlikely customers world wide so you can bank on first rate quality product as I have.
So as not to provide 'perceived advertisement' for this shop, I will withhold the name unless your interested.
You can even refer to me as a customer for them to look up the build they done for me.
It would be an extreme pleasure to provide you with a lead to this possibility and helping an owner in another country with a special need.
Good luck..
This is the way to go. the 4R70W is a very good transmission. I have a transgo shift kit in mine, and it was great! and this truck tows 80% of the time hauling cars.

200 degrees is not overheating for an automatic.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:23 AM
kenn_chan
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
Good luck..

bluegrass i might take you up on that if all else seems to much of a PITA. thanks for a positive contribution to my thread.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:24 AM
kenn_chan
More Turbo
Originally Posted by brokenleg
This is the way to go. the 4R70W is a very good transmission. I have a transgo shift kit in mine, and it was great! and this truck tows 80% of the time hauling cars.

200 degrees is not overheating for an automatic.

not when measured at the torque converter, but when measured at the stock temp location it is, this was according to M Kovalsky when I quizzed him on the tranny temp issues.

BTW please avoid polluting my threads in the future, the other thread was not to get opinions on what my skill level at fabricating might or might not be, it was to find the location of the sensor in question on a vehicle that I do not personally own; the aforementioned 3/4 ton truck that i would like to use as a donor for the manual transmission.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:56 AM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kenn_chan
not when measured at the torque converter, but when measured at the stock temp location it is, this was according to M Kovalsky when I quizzed him on the tranny temp issues.

BTW please avoid polluting my threads in the future, the other thread was not to get opinions on what my skill level at fabricating might or might not be, it was to find the location of the sensor in question on a vehicle that I do not personally own; the aforementioned 3/4 ton truck that i would like to use as a donor for the manual transmission.
I have been around more transmissions than you realize. Ive read what M kovalsky said too.......Engineers aren't always right either. you asked what it would take to swap in a 6 speed into a F150. I told you the truth. you never said anything about your skills. Forums are for answers? right? even answers you don't like. oh well.....