6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

can the 2009 F 250 I bought really need a PCM, RCM and ABS along with more ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:44 AM
DJDRIS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool can the 2009 F 250 I bought really need a PCM, RCM and ABS along with more ?

Thanks for reading as I will admit here that I know next to 0 about trucks or engines and wonder if I am being scammed
Bought a used 2009 F 250 out of state that was driven on to a flatbed and driven for 28 hours straight to my house for delivery. The shipper put the key in all the lights were flashing but no crank. He did notice a loose positive battery connection on the passenger side ( I WAS CRUSHED and only the begining as this was two weeks ago)
two days later I had another tow truck to take the dealer and the first day they called to say that they had it running but certain computer module errors prevented anything from idle ( all this way over my head)
next day they called to say it needed a PCM, RCM and ABS at approx 3500 with diagnostic fee I asked to have it towed the next day for second opinion ( local mechanic told me it sounded crazy) but they said parts were in and would be charged re-stock fee plus the 700 and other so I gave the green light while go broke Now the bill is close to 6,000 with more sensors and parts needed everyday after almost two weeks ( on Tues)
I don't know anything about cars and willing to pay for advice or any other help. I wouldn't be so skeptical is both shipper and seller ( didn't know each other) both said it was driven on to flatbed for trip north and also seems weird that the positive connection on battery was loose
dealer said it may have been hit by lightning but see no damage from that
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
Dan D

Old 06-29-2015, 07:37 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Wish it was under better circumstances, but, most people find this site when their truck breaks down.

I'm not looking at your truck, and have no codes to go by, but I believe the possibility of all those things being wrong with your truck at the same time is highly unlikely.And, unfortunately, since you just bought the truck, you don't know the history of it. If you lived in Northern Ky, I'd tell you exactly where to take it to get it fixed.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:05 PM
DJDRIS
New User
Thank you for your response. when the dealership called me days after I had it towed there and told me that it needed all those parts I gave them the ok as I know nothing about this stuff but then the next afternoon called to have it towed to an independent mechanic for a second opinion they told me that the parts were in and I would have to pay a re-stock charge ( along with the 700 diagnostic fee) and it was fit to me moved because there was stuff everywhere..............so I gave the ok and over the last two weeks I have gotten at least 6 more calls saying that they keep finding additional senors or other parts
I called them this morning and told them I need a copy of all the codes they received by this afternoon and the cust service manager said he would get back to me and I am still waiting
I wish I knew that much two weeks ago as I may have been able to get that info then before giving them the approval to replace everything

Old 06-29-2015, 02:14 PM
fatboytx
Senior User
What did the seller of your truck have to say about the mechanical problems?

Old 06-29-2015, 03:53 PM
DJDRIS
New User
Seller said it was running great. He mentioned that it was at a dealership in Houston for an oil change and I called that dealership with the VIN number and they confirmed it was. Then when I told the kid at the dealership this small time dealer/seller's name he said he knew him ( unusual Russian name) and thought that he was legit in that he always wants his trucks fixed properly
meanwhile the dealer that has my truck now doesn't seem to want to give me a print out of the codes as I have made 4 calls today and they said they don't normally do that but will give me a report with my final bill

Old 06-29-2015, 05:28 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Do you know if the truck has had the DPF removed?

Old 06-29-2015, 06:24 PM
fatboytx
Senior User
Originally Posted by DJDRIS
Seller said it was running great. He mentioned that it was at a dealership in Houston for an oil change and I called that dealership with the VIN number and they confirmed it was. Then when I told the kid at the dealership this small time dealer/seller's name he said he knew him ( unusual Russian name) and thought that he was legit in that he always wants his trucks fixed properly
meanwhile the dealer that has my truck now doesn't seem to want to give me a print out of the codes as I have made 4 calls today and they said they don't normally do that but will give me a report with my final bill
If you paid a diagnostic fee then you should expect to receive information, such as trouble codes, as part of the service. Also, I would expect the diagnostic fee to be applied towards the repair service.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:07 PM
DJDRIS
New User
Sorry CSJohn as I missed your question but I don't even know what a DPF is ??
that's what is so frustrating for someone like me in that has little knowledge with
engines as its pretty easy for the service rep to con me , IT wasn't until a quick
call with another mechanic ( who said he had never heard of a F 250 needing all those modules at the same time) that I started to wonder if the mechanic at the Ford dealership knew what he was doing
Good point on the diagnostic fee but it appears that their intent is to put in all one neat little package when I pay the bill and pick up the truck. Asking for these codes now clearly has them acting as if its not normal procedure
I was told they should be right there on their computer and fairly easy to print out and share now so I can then ask follow up questions on whether they could have been re-programmed . when I told another mechanic that the passenger side battery had a loose positive connection he said the truck thought it was being stolen and it was some kind of key issue with that module.
when I mention things like that to their service guy he just speaks in another language ( knowing that I am clueless with this stuff)
Like paying a lawyer I would love to find a good diesel mechanic and pay that person to call them for me and allow him to ask the right questions and then give me the piece of mind on whether these things all needed to be replaced or if I should then go to the general manager and basically be able to state my case that I may have just spent 6,000 on parts that really weren't needed and try to get some kind of break on the bill or then go to the better business burea

Old 06-29-2015, 07:54 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ever hear of HS can network? Look whats on it.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:54 PM
DJDRIS
New User
yes i went on their website but that tells me many things
1. someone like me knows even less than they thought they knew so its open season for any dealer or other mechanic
2. Like other computers ( once sold computer navigation systems for removing brain tumors ) a good pro doesn't always need to replace the " drive" but can find the chip or get the software going again
3. You are either just rubbing my nose in it ( you have a right) and or showing me the complex situation but either way maybe I will throw in the white flag and pay all this extra money and take this thing to GMC for a trade asap
( still hear the words of one indep diesel mechanic who was the first guy to quickly say there was no chance that all of these were out but his words were my mistake were in buying an 09 Ford diesel

Old 06-30-2015, 07:26 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Think of the ''network" like a string of Christmas lights. One light goes out, and none of them work. The high speed CAN network "yes, GMC and Dodge has it too" works somewhat similarly. Have a problem with the network, or any of the modules in that network, and none of them work. I would believe more that you have a network issue than all of those modules bad. Start looking at the ABS module and the connector. It lives in the harshest environment. I'll usually find a corroded connector there.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:52 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what vloney says makes a lot more sense (and he would know) than all of those items going bad at the same time. Now how do you get the dealer to change their course to diagnose this rather than replacing the items that are throwing codes?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:16 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
The DPF is the pollution control system in the exhaust. If it has been deleted, the truck must have an aftermarket tune programed into the computer or else it won't run.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by DJDRIS

You probably acquired a flood vehicle..... Go here for a free check https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Old 07-01-2015, 07:53 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I think they are throwing parts at it as well.

Quick Reply: can the 2009 F 250 I bought really need a PCM, RCM and ABS along with more ?