1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

addding automatic headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:20 AM
sk8ingsmurf
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
addding automatic headlights

I have automatic headlights that turn on at night (sometimes a little before, if anyone else has them you know what Im talking about) in my 99 expedition, my mom has them in her 03 expedition. My dad is jealous and wants to add them to his 03 f150, he keeps asking me to find out what parts he needs to get to do this, and if they can be purchased somewhere other than the dealer. Me and him both have what I would consider good electronics skills, installing it wont be a problem, just need to know the parts I would need (part #s if at all possible), is it just the sensor and the switch or do you need a module with it? Is the wiring for it already there from the factory?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 05-09-2005, 10:57 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
As you're probably aware, there is a Ford accessory kit that will add this feature. I don't recall the price, but it wasn't a lot, and seemed worth it to get a reliable system without spending the time to "reinvent the wheel". I get my dealer to discount the list price on this kind of thing, and I would suggest you try that also, since you can always walk out the door if he says no. As designed, it does not depend on any optional components being present.

I did this both on my F150 and my daughter's Expy. We also wanted DRL's, which is an option on the kit. Her's is all automatic, and changes nothing on the dash (except the added ambient light sensor on the top). For mine, I got the factory switch with the "Auto" position and heavy duty diodes (to prevent the parking light position from also triggering the auto headlights), so that I can easily return to full manual control (including switching the DRLs off) if I want to. I would NOT recommend the second option unless you are really experienced, because it is potentially hazardous due to supply circuit and diode selection. However, the way we did my daughter's is easy, assuming you don't mind relinquishing control.

It's also quite possible that one could get the factory wiring manual and track down the components used in the factory, but it'd be more work than I would want to put into it and probably would cost more.

Good luck,
Brian

Last edited by MrBSS; 05-09-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:35 PM
sk8ingsmurf
Junior User
thanks, I actually wasnt aware that there was a ford accessory kit for it, I will try that out. Is the one you have on your car like the 03-05 expys that allow you to choose to use manual or automatic? With mine I cant choose it from the controls, but on the timer control to the right of it you can just turn it down all the way and it will click and allow you to manually control it.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:51 PM
92merc
Tuned
My 2003 SuperCrew XLT came with automatic lights. The full clockwise position on the dash **** is "A" for automatic. Next clic clockwise was full off. Next click was park lights. Last click was manually turning on headlights. Then pull **** out for fog lights.

When in automatic, I think the little "A" does light up. I forget though. It just turns on by itself and I don't even think about it anymore. Just like my '92 Grand Marquis. I set it and forget it.